The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tim Thomas comes out against gay marriage

Yes, Tim Thomas has the right to voice his opinion. As an American citizen, he has the right to give his opinions. However, as he makes these statements public, people have every right to challenge his opinions. Those of you saying "it's his right so speak, leave him alone" are hilarious. So he can have his say in a public forum like his facebook and nobody can challenge him on it?

And while he's not so-called "hate-mongering" he is promoting prejudice. Yep, I said it. It's prejudice. Denying another human being the simple rights and freedoms that he enjoys every day is prejudice. There is no difference between racism and homophobia in that they are both forms of prejudice and intolerance.

You may debate all day whether people are born gay, or if there's a gay gene, or if homosexuality is a choice. The point, why does that even matter? It shouldn't. Denying someone basic human rights based on one's sexuality however, should matter.

Some of you have also noted that those here denouncing Tim Thomas' views as intolerant, are intolerant ourselves. I will admit it, I am intolerant of anyone who believes themselves superior to anyone else for reasons of race, sexual orientation, religion etc. If we were never intolerant of prejudice and hatred, where would we be now?

What if humanity had never stood up for the rights of women, of black slaves? What of religious freedom? You claim that calling out bigotry is to be intolerant in itself. You may call it whatever you want, but those who attempt to deny others their rights and freedoms don't deserve tolerance.

One thing I find very interesting when reading discussions about religion is I tend to side on the side of religion, even though I have no beliefs. This is because I find atheists to be very aggressive and very unaccepting (why the hell isn't that a word?) of other people's beliefs.

Just something I've noticed.

One thing I find very interesting when reading discussions about religion is I tend to side on the side of religion, even though I have no beliefs.  This is because I find atheists to be very aggressive and very unaccepting (why the hell isn't that a word?) of other people's beliefs.

One thing I find very interesting when reading discussions about religion is I tend to side on the side of religion, even though I have no beliefs. This is because I find atheists to be very aggressive and very unaccepting (why the hell isn't that a word?) of other people's beliefs.

Archived