The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

David Booth

I wish Kes would get back to play making, he was a great passer.. Now he's more of a shooter, but the wingers he is put with are meant to be shooters. I'd like to see Kes sit back more and make nice passes, while he's coming back from injury. Booth and Higgins can be a great line, our forwards would look very complete with Doan. God, I hope he comes to the Canucks! :mellow:

What the?

I guess Crosby needs a large guy to protect him too. Won't help unless he skates right beside him with his arms outstretched waiting to catch him if he falls down, or get in the way if someone tries to bodycheck him, but hey, he'll be a large guy in some shape or form to help.

What about Pronger if he returns to health, or Hossa, who already has been cleared. They're both pretty big, but I guess they'll have to hire guys the size of Chara and tether them together to help prevent any kind of contact to the head.

*sigh*

I can't wait to finish work so I can get away from the computer and stupid comments like this.

What I find funny is that idea that is spread by MG that Booth is a 'big body'. He is 6' and 210. That was a big body in the NHL 40 years ago. You want big bodies look at LA, they have some there. The canucks do not have a big body forward. You may hate Penner but that is a big body (6'4", 240) and he drove the canucks defencemen crazy. Same with Lucic last year.

No hockey sense at all, he was put with the Sedin's on a few occasions, looked totally lost.

Can't make a pass to save his life. Perhaps gifted physically, but that's about the extent of it.

He's a space cadet and I'll be surprised if he ever surpasses the 25-goal mark.

I can't wait either,Elvis so that makes two of us.

Pronger will never return to the game .He got his and that was his karma for all he had done.

Pittsburgh had better find somebody to open up the ice for Sid and act as a deterrent.

Crosby ,with one more head injury is toast.The goal is prevention,not reaction after the injury.

At that point it is over.

Having players on the ice that will cover your back is what great organisations do.

Many superstars had protection.Idiots think twice about running the star and the star plays with more open ice and confidence.

You obviously don't understand much about head injuries but are glued to a computer all day long so I will explain it to you in language you may understand:

You purchase a new,top of the line Mac notebook. You drop it. It breaks upon hitting the ground and stops working.

After three months you find a technician who guarantees he can fix it.Upon return it is never as good as new.It will never be the same but it still functions at a 80% rate of originality.

After two months ,you drop it again.This time it will not turn back on and the technician says he can get it running but that he will not guarantee anything.

You get it back and half of the functions still work.

You drop it a third time and have to sell it for spare parts.

Cumulative concussions are similar.Booth is in deep trouble,even with a couple years of rest.

Now Daniel Sedin has suffered a concussion.

Get rid of the Mason Raymonds on this team and get players that open ice instead of figure skate.

This game is deadly and many inside the hockey world are still ignorant regarding concussions,never mind forum poster fan boys.

What I find funny is that idea that is spread by MG that Booth is a 'big body'. He is 6' and 210. That was a big body in the NHL 40 years ago. You want big bodies look at LA, they have some there. The canucks do not have a big body forward. You may hate Penner but that is a big body (6'4", 240) and he drove the canucks defencemen crazy. Same with Lucic last year.

I can't wait either,Elvis so that makes two of us.

Pronger will never return to the game .He got his and that was his karma for all he had done.

Pittsburgh had better find somebody to open up the ice for Sid and act as a deterrent.

Crosby ,with one more head injury is toast.The goal is prevention,not reaction after the injury.

At that point it is over.

Having players on the ice that will cover your back is what great organisations do.

Many superstars had protection.Idiots think twice about running the star and the star plays with more open ice and confidence.

You obviously don't understand much about head injuries but are glued to a computer all day long so I will explain it to you in language you may understand:

You purchase a new,top of the line Mac notebook. You drop it. It breaks upon hitting the ground and stops working.

After three months you find a technician who guarantees he can fix it.Upon return it is never as good as new.It will never be the same but it still functions at a 80% rate of originality.

After two months ,you drop it again.This time it will not turn back on and the technician says he can get it running but that he will not guarantee anything.

You get it back and half of the functions still work.

You drop it a third time and have to sell it for spare parts.

Cumulative concussions are similar.Booth is in deep trouble,even with a couple years of rest.

Now Daniel Sedin has suffered a concussion.

Get rid of the Mason Raymonds on this team and get players that open ice instead of figure skate.

This game is deadly and many inside the hockey world are still ignorant regarding concussions,never mind forum poster fan boys.

There is no deterrent for cheap shots. If you think there is, you are living in a fantasy world. The worst punishment a player can get for attempting a cheap shot is the other player tries to throw a big check (and we have players who can do that) or they try to fight, and all that player has to do is decline. Gone are the days of kicking the crap out of players who try stuff. Newsflash, if a player goes after a player who doesn't want a fight you will get a instigator penalty at minimum, suspension possibly, and at worst a Bertuzzi Moore incident. Bertuzzi was one of the toughest top line guys in the NHL at the time, and it did NOTHING to prevent Naslund from being cheap shotted. And then when he tried to get retribution, Bertuzzi was the bad guy, not Moore, in the leagues eyes.

So you may think that Keith wouldn't have elbowed Daniel Sedin in the head if Todd Bertuzzi was on the ice at the time, but the fact of the matter is, he wasn't thinking about the consequences at the time, he was going to do it anyways. Chara could have been on the ice, and Keith would have still elbowed him.

Has Boston's toughness protected Horton from his head injury? Pittsburgh has it's share of tough guys, but Crosby and Staal both were taken out by concussions.

Deterence opens up the ice, butterbean.

Having guys that will watch your back inspires confidence in more skilled players that do not play rough or know how to protect themselves so well.

The Canucks need a Shane Doan type of players on the first and second lines.Ditch the figure skaters and floppers.

I hope Pinnizotto is the real deal as the guy has put up good numbers in junior and can protect.

One example:

Semenko is considered by many to be one of the toughest players ever in the NHL.

The protection offered by Semenko allowed Edmonton's stars, such as Gretzky, Jari Kurri, Mark Messier, and Paul Coffey more freedom on the ice, greatly helping the Oilers win Stanley Cups in 1984 and 1985.

hockey is a violent sport. It's always been about intimidation. And hockey has always allowed the players to police themselves. I think there's a place in the game for fighting. For me, it always came down to my role as the protector of my team. Kind of like an insurance policy for my teammates. You'll have a star player who's getting hit, getting whacked, getting knocked on his ass, and in comes Doug to beat all these guys up and give him some room.

Look at Sidney Crosby. He got body-checked and he's out of hockey. Sidney Crosby should not be out of the game because someone took a run at him. If there's a guy on Crosby's team who's there to kick your ass if you take liberties against him, you might have second thoughts before running him into the boards. There's a reason Steve Yzerman and Sergei Fedorov had such long, brilliant careers — because Bob Probert and Joey Kocur had their backs. You take a shot at Yzerman, you're going to get the crap kicked out of you. Might not be the same night, but Probie's going to get you in the next game. You need that guy on the ice.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7754609/a-qa-doug-smith-having-hockey-career-immortalized-film-goon

Ray is right.

Hockey is all about intimidation.

That is the story in and of itself.

Gillis was a star player and skill guy when he played.

Maybe if he had experienced more of a pro career he would have more of a clue what to do now to protect his most gifted players.

Deterence opens up the ice, butterbean.

Having guys that will watch your back inspires confidence in more skilled players that do not play rough or know how to protect themselves so well.

The Canucks need a Shane Doan type of players on the first and second lines.Ditch the figure skaters and floppers.

I hope Pinnizotto is the real deal as the guy has put up good numbers in junior and can protect.

One example:

Semenko is considered by many to be one of the toughest players ever in the NHL.

The protection offered by Semenko allowed Edmonton's stars, such as Gretzky, Jari Kurri, Mark Messier, and Paul Coffey more freedom on the ice, greatly helping the Oilers win Stanley Cups in 1984 and 1985.

hockey is a violent sport. It's always been about intimidation. And hockey has always allowed the players to police themselves. I think there's a place in the game for fighting. For me, it always came down to my role as the protector of my team. Kind of like an insurance policy for my teammates. You'll have a star player who's getting hit, getting whacked, getting knocked on his ass, and in comes Doug to beat all these guys up and give him some room.

Look at Sidney Crosby. He got body-checked and he's out of hockey. Sidney Crosby should not be out of the game because someone took a run at him. If there's a guy on Crosby's team who's there to kick your ass if you take liberties against him, you might have second thoughts before running him into the boards. There's a reason Steve Yzerman and Sergei Fedorov had such long, brilliant careers — because Bob Probert and Joey Kocur had their backs. You take a shot at Yzerman, you're going to get the crap kicked out of you. Might not be the same night, but Probie's going to get you in the next game. You need that guy on the ice.

http://www.grantland...lized-film-goon

Archived