The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

David Booth

A tough guy wouldn't have prevented Daniel's injury, Keith was frustrated and made a stupid, split second decision. At no point would he have thought, "If I plan on elbowing Daniel I'm going to get creamed by their tough guy." Clearly he wasn't even thinking enough to know how obvious it was and would result in a suspension, or he wouldn't have done it.

By no means are concussions 100% indicative of permanent brain injury. Further or repeated injury may be more likely in the time where you are not fully healed and suffering symptoms, but it's not a given you will be more susceptible. Having said that, every concussion is different and they are something to be very careful with.

If Marchand Cheap shots your star, your enforcer has to fight Chara or Lucic. How does that prevent Marchand cheap shots?

And be honest, you two, if GMMG picked up an enforcer, you'd both be on here complaining that he's not fixing the top six scoring and wasting cap space on plugs.

Guest gumballthechewy

Rypien was never traded, nor was he an enforcer. He fought, and he was on the 4th line. How is he supposed to protect the Sedins if he wasn't on the ice?

RIP

I was looking at David Booth's stats today, curious, and I realized something. In a season riddled with injuries, line juggling, and being a new team with chemistry still needing to be built, he still managed to pot 16 in 56, putting him on pace for roughly 27 goals. This is without any real power play time, either!

So, this got me to thinking. When he was with Florida, playing with Stephen Weiss (and essentially only Weiss), being riddled with concussion issues, and the whole likes, he still managed to pot over 20 goals 3 times, eclipsing 30 once. He also played a LOT of time on the powerplay. Now, why is this interesting?

Booth is a big body. Everyone knows that. He can drive to the net, has a wicked shot, and has great hands. If Kesler starts the season (which Gillis says is possible), and Higgins/Hansen/Raymond/Burrows/Doan are able to fully connect that chemistry... Who's to say he can't easily hit over 30 goals if he stays healthy? There's no reason not to.

The scariest thing about this is if Booth gets time on the 1st powerplay unit, which could be fantastic considering he could clear the net when Kesler isn't in front, and could also feed and take shots when Kesler is. That added punch from the powerplay really makes me think that Booth could score 40 or more, and the stats support it. Full powerplay time with developed chemistry could push Booth over the top.

:towel:

There's a big difference between a concussion and a cheap shot. My point is that there is NO WAY that Keith would've done that to Tyler Seguin, because he'd have gotten his ass whooped by Chara, Lucic, or Thornton. And if not him, one of the other stars.

If there's no fear of retribution, teams will take liberties. The Canucks NEED an enforcer. Dale Weise is not that guy.

In today's NHL (with things like the instigator rule), unless your team is made up entirely of enforcers, having an enforcer doesn't seem to matter much. Goony McGoonfist is not going to be playing on the first line with the Sedins and therefore won't function as a visual deterrent when it matters. Furthermore, in a Keith-elbow type situation the refs will try and avoid further confrontation rather than allow the offending player pay the price for crossing the line. The coach of the injured player will be scrutinized if he doesn't put out Goony against the offending player, and will be penalized if he does by the refs protecting the culprit from retaliation, thus adding figurative salt to the literal wound. At most there may be some payback in another game, but we all know how well that works out.

They keep the enforcers on too tight a leash nowadays, which lets the cheap-hitters, low-bridgers and ankle-slashers get away with everything out on the ice. Since these players can't take the league's star players on in hockey, they chip and bludgeon them down with goonery. With the sport the way it is, a truly talented player (talented at hockey) will have a much shorter ice-life due to injuries suffered at the hands of those players who are there to fill the "grit" role. With the loss of talent the game will shift from Speed & Finesse to Speed & Hitting.

So...I guess Don Cherry will be happy.

Sorry I have been rather off topic, I think Booth is going to contribute in a big way this season, especially if he is " the guy" on the 2nd line to start the season. He put up good numbers and is able to drive the net with authority and skill. I am not worried about his so called concussion issues as he has been playing physically for us without fear and has taken some big shots as well as dishing them out. I really hope a play maker can be found internally for the 2nd line or brought in to provide some creativity for Kesler and Booth.

I would like to see Hansen get a chance or Burrows if Doan does get signed ( doubtful). Raymond might prove that he can be the guy but I'm not betting on it and I really doubt the Schroeder can stick on the wing once Kesler returns and I doubt he replaces Kesler as well.

I can't wait either,Elvis so that makes two of us.

Pronger will never return to the game .He got his and that was his karma for all he had done.

Pittsburgh had better find somebody to open up the ice for Sid and act as a deterrent.

Crosby ,with one more head injury is toast.The goal is prevention,not reaction after the injury.

At that point it is over.

Having players on the ice that will cover your back is what great organisations do.

Many superstars had protection.Idiots think twice about running the star and the star plays with more open ice and confidence.

You obviously don't understand much about head injuries but are glued to a computer all day long so I will explain it to you in language you may understand:

You purchase a new,top of the line Mac notebook. You drop it. It breaks upon hitting the ground and stops working.

After three months you find a technician who guarantees he can fix it.Upon return it is never as good as new.It will never be the same but it still functions at a 80% rate of originality.

After two months ,you drop it again.This time it will not turn back on and the technician says he can get it running but that he will not guarantee anything.

You get it back and half of the functions still work.

You drop it a third time and have to sell it for spare parts.

Cumulative concussions are similar.Booth is in deep trouble,even with a couple years of rest.

Now Daniel Sedin has suffered a concussion.

Get rid of the Mason Raymonds on this team and get players that open ice instead of figure skate.

This game is deadly and many inside the hockey world are still ignorant regarding concussions,never mind forum poster fan boys.

How about the cheap shots Marc Savard took from Matt Cooke and Matt Hunwick, Chara, Lucic and Thornton didn't prevent those injuries..... Godard didn't prevent Keith's cheapshot on Cooke. Prust, Rupp Bickell didn't prevent Cooke's cheap shot on McDonagh.

The Canucks don't need an enforcer they need players who can play and still be physical and if need to fight to defend themselves instead of embellishing. Weise, Bieksa, Kesler, Lapierre, Ballard, Booth, Volpatti, Alberts and Kassian have all shown themselves capable of defending themselves and teammates in the past. Fighting doesn't protect anybody but it does prove they are willing to stick up for each other and themselves. Canucks are capable of hitting effectively and legally and have done a good job of not crossing the line the last couple of years with the exception of Torres whose hits have almost always been borderline at best.

So one concussion and someone is on the brink of retirement??

As someone who suffered a year long concussion myself, your making it seem like a much bigger deal than it is, I know personally I feel fine now, nothing lingering.

And if that's the case for me then they are certainly 100% since they get care everyday and are monitored by doctors everyday.

I'm not that worried about Booth, it was one concussion that happened 2 seasons ago, maybe after 2 you would worry but I'm not worried about him.

Same with Crosby, the 2nd one was a neck problem, so it was really only one concussion.

Archived