The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chris Tanev

Hogs & Podz

He can get as big as he wants and still not play physically. That part of his game has to change from within - he has to seek the hit every now and then because I don't remember ever seeing Tanev go for a solid hit.

He has positioning and stick work down nicely, but he doesn't know when to go for a hit and when not to. So far he's played very tentatively and stuck to safe hockey, but Tanev needs to learn how and more importantly when to hit.

Still a lot of development to go, I would like to see him play no more than 40 NHL games next season. We need another depth defenceman like Jurcina, Vandemeer etc. because I don't want to see a cycle of Alberts, Ballard, Joslin and Tanev on our bottom pairing.

It is not about Tanev's offensive abilities. As a 3rd pairing it is all about being dependable in the d-zone. To this point in his career he has got a bit of a pass from opposing teams. Going into this year teams will start playing him more physically as that is his biggest weakness. Since he will be on against mostly 3rd & 4th lines the physical play will be there.

I thought that Tanev might be a trade chip simply because of the size issue. Saying that is not a put down as this kid has overcome a lot to get this far. He could easily surprise this fall to the upside if he is still here.

Tanev = Salo - point bomb + foot speed

It's going to be interesting to see how his game develops this season, as he is likley to see more NHL ice than ever. His calm demeanor, and positional hockey sense are welcome additions to the D. I also think there is untapped offensive potential, but it may take a while for that to come out, if it ever does.

could Tanev pull a Garrison in a few years and just explode onto the scene, after a season or 2 of being reliable in his own end? Maybe, but he doesn't quite have Garrison's shot, I still think that Tanev makes himself a regular in this league in the next year or two

I think Tanev is going to be better than a lot of people give him credit for. He's still very young, and has great hockey IQ. Players that think the game as well as him just need time to properly develop and figure out the nuances of the game at the pro level.

In the Justin Schultz thread someone mentioned that Tanev has been working on his shot this and had it clocked in at 95mph. Does anyone know if this is true?!

I'm not trying to be overly negative and obviously it's great to hear when specific players are training hard as opposed to just partying all summer but sometimes people on here act like the Canucks are the only players who train hard during the summer. Every team has prospects who are hungry to put on muscle and lose fat every season. Every team also has sobs who let their conditioning slip. It's the same all around the league. Glad guys like Kassian and Tanev are getting recognition for their efforts and success but this should be expected of them when they are making hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Rubbish.

He just needs to EAT. Eat calorically-dense foods - pasta, steak, milk, etc. - and hit the weights hard. There's no such thing as "body type". You look how you look because of the caloric equation. Tanev probably spends a ton of calories training, and he's probably not eating nearly enough. That's a pretty shocking picture of him pumping gas. Maybe Mike Gillis has them sleeping too much, after appointments that the sleep doctor, that these guys are forgetting to eat. Yikes.

On that note, I recall running into Markus Naslund once, in Vancouver, and was shocked at how big/thick he was. Same with Jaromir Jagr, saw him in Mexico. Massive guy.

July2612_tanev19_slide.jpg

I thought this picture was really cool. True fans should be able to name the players left to right. Btw Gaunce and Jensen look the same height even though Jensen is listed at 6'3" and Gaunce at 6'2".

BTW these are all Canucks in our system, good to see them train together in mid July.

Archived