#31 consciouscanadian

consciouscanadian

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:05 AM

I'm proud to say I id'd them all.

I am proud to say that before I knew they were Canucks prospects, I thought Gaunce was Jonathan Toews, Jensen was Hodgson, one of the middle guys was Grabner, and that Archibald(?) was Bufgylillien.

#32 Rivera

Rivera

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:13 AM

I think Tanev is going to be better than a lot of people give him credit for. He's still very young, and has great hockey IQ. Players that think the game as well as him just need time to properly develop and figure out the nuances of the game at the pro level.

In the Justin Schultz thread someone mentioned that Tanev has been working on his shot this and had it clocked in at 95mph. Does anyone know if this is true?!

#33 kentk

kentk

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:18 AM

Yeaaah right!

Looks scary, like the bull in a bullfight, to me... :picard: :sadno: :sick:

Posted Image

i would own him... looks like a skinny high school kid....

#34 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:25 AM

Tanev will NEVER, ever be that size, unless he starts taking some serious 'roids.

Rubbish.

He just needs to EAT. Eat calorically-dense foods - pasta, steak, milk, etc. - and hit the weights hard. There's no such thing as "body type". You look how you look because of the caloric equation. Tanev probably spends a ton of calories training, and he's probably not eating nearly enough. That's a pretty shocking picture of him pumping gas. Maybe Mike Gillis has them sleeping too much, after appointments that the sleep doctor, that these guys are forgetting to eat. Yikes.

On that note, I recall running into Markus Naslund once, in Vancouver, and was shocked at how big/thick he was. Same with Jaromir Jagr, saw him in Mexico. Massive guy.

#35 cdubuya

cdubuya

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:28 AM

I'm not trying to be overly negative and obviously it's great to hear when specific players are training hard as opposed to just partying all summer but sometimes people on here act like the Canucks are the only players who train hard during the summer. Every team has prospects who are hungry to put on muscle and lose fat every season. Every team also has sobs who let their conditioning slip. It's the same all around the league. Glad guys like Kassian and Tanev are getting recognition for their efforts and success but this should be expected of them when they are making hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Posted Image

#36 linden16kesler17

linden16kesler17

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:34 AM

Rubbish.

He just needs to EAT. Eat calorically-dense foods - pasta, steak, milk, etc. - and hit the weights hard. There's no such thing as "body type". You look how you look because of the caloric equation. Tanev probably spends a ton of calories training, and he's probably not eating nearly enough. That's a pretty shocking picture of him pumping gas. Maybe Mike Gillis has them sleeping too much, after appointments that the sleep doctor, that these guys are forgetting to eat. Yikes.

On that note, I recall running into Markus Naslund once, in Vancouver, and was shocked at how big/thick he was. Same with Jaromir Jagr, saw him in Mexico. Massive guy.

On the flip side, I met Mason Raymond last year at an event at my Chevy dealer. He put his arm around me for a photo, so I did the same and I was SHOCKED with how tiny he was. (This is not meant to me an anti-MayRay tirade even though I'm not his biggest fan). I felt like I could get my whole hand around his middle, and I'm a girl! It was wild.

Tanev looks massive compared to him.

#37 Gonz

Gonz

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:41 AM

Man, I clicked on the video expecting see him big as Ohlund. I've seen Ohlund in person, Tanev doesn't look even close to Ohlund's size.

#38 WHFproductions

WHFproductions

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:05 AM

I wanna see him score a goal.

hes a defensemen, and hes doing a fantastic job moving the puck playing great defensivly and as long as he could do that ill be satisfied, if he gets a goal ill be happy. but i dont mind if he doesnt as long as he does his job in the D zone

#39 Neufy161

Neufy161

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:07 AM

Posted Image

I thought this picture was really cool. True fans should be able to name the players left to right. Btw Gaunce and Jensen look the same height even though Jensen is listed at 6'3" and Gaunce at 6'2".

BTW these are all Canucks in our system, good to see them train together in mid July.

Jensen, Gaunce, Pinizzotto, Tanev, Price, Friesen, Corrado, Archibald

Edited by Neufy161, 27 July 2012 - 11:54 AM.

Oh hello Alain Vigneault, I see what you did there... good one.

Posted Image

Signature by (>'-')>

#40 Drybone

Drybone

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:40 AM

Anyone think Tanev could crack the top 4 this year?
Posted Image

#41 Neufy161

Neufy161

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:44 AM

Anyone think Tanev could crack the top 4 this year?

No, he will be consistently on the team if he stays healthy though. I can see him getting 82 games as the 5/6 pairing and having a complete development year.

Top 4 is pretty solid as is, Bieksa Hammer Edler Garrison

Posted Image

Signature by (>'-')>

#42 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,990 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:04 PM

No, he will be consistently on the team if he stays healthy though. I can see him getting 82 games as the 5/6 pairing and having a complete development year.

agreed, unless there is an injury, that is.

#43 ajhockey

ajhockey

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,281 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:11 PM

I hope to see him play all 82 games next year. He's so solid on the back end.

14ndb35.jpg
Credit to -Vintage Canuck- for the awesome sig!

"Gino, Gino, Gino, Gino!"
Rest In Peace, Rypien, Demitra, and Bourdon

#44 Datsyukian

Datsyukian

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

I remember watching him throw a beauty backdoor cross-grain pass from the point to the side of the net where Tanner Glass just had to slide the puck into an open net and fanned on it! In terms of offense, he has some decent vision, hands, and skating. It seems to me he has stuck to playing a very simple game without taking any risks. This is good for us as we haven't used him as a guy to put up points, really. With more NHL experience look to watch Tanev rush the puck and pinch more in the offensive zone because, like I said, he has the tools. Look at his consistantly solid plus/minus throughout his career. Not bad for a young undrafted D-man out of the JR. A/ College route. Excited to see Tanev play a full season.

#45 Monteeun

Monteeun

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,146 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:04 PM

Playing 10 to 15 minutes a game you want to keep things simple. So as of right now, we have no idea if he can do it or not. he definitely has the potential no doubt. But playing low minutes, your job is to keep things simple and clean.

BAD MOVE!!!

BAD FING MOVE

HAHAHA ANOTHER INJURED MORON ON OUR TEAM

HE WILL JOIN US IN 2019

Benning will be fired next year. Hope he enjoys screwing around for a few months. I just cant believe this. Another injured BC player. We just got rid of garrison. Seems like the canucks and linden just wanted any BC born player. Doesn't matter if hes good or not. We don't need another Linden to get us to game 7 of the Stanley cup and lose. We need someone to win us a cup.

5 million a year for Vrbata? 6 million for Miller? Kesler for Bonino and 24th instead of 10th pick or one of their top prospects? Garrison for scraps?

ive already lost faith in JB. Ive never EVER had this bad of a feeling about management.

#46 nd84

nd84

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:23 PM

No doubt in my mind he will continue to grow and be excellent defensively. I would like to see him produce more offensively though. He's a guy that we can see play any D pairing and be pretty reliable
Posted Image

#47 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,125 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:29 PM

You'd actually have to be able to hit him in the first place and given you're not in the NHL, I find that highly unlikely
Posted Image

#48 Herberts Vasiljevs

Herberts Vasiljevs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,516 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:51 PM

Tanev playing a simple and safe game isn't at all a bad thing. We always complain about Ballard taking to many risks, so this makes them a good pairing.

oif7li.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuckfor the awesome sig!

#49 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:48 PM

Posted Image

I thought this picture was really cool. True fans should be able to name the players left to right. Btw Gaunce and Jensen look the same height even though Jensen is listed at 6'3" and Gaunce at 6'2".

BTW these are all Canucks in our system, good to see them train together in mid July.

Like you're going to notice an inch height difference between two guys decked in hockey gear.

Tanev is still much too skinny. He takes the hits well, but there's no question they'll wear on him over time. He needs to put some quality muscle and mass on his frame. It's really not that hard. He can start by switching up his breakfast habits. 3 whole eggs, 2 pieces of white bread and some ketchup isn't going to give him much help in gaining weight.

Observations from this picture - Tanev is still much too skinny, Jensen looks pudgy, Pinizzotto is a lot less imposing than I remember from Preseason, and Archibald looks absolutely massive. Either way it's a sharp looking group of prospects. I hope one or even two of them challenge for a roster spot this season.

#50 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:08 PM

Like you're going to notice an inch height difference between two guys decked in hockey gear.

Tanev is still much too skinny. He takes the hits well, but there's no question they'll wear on him over time. He needs to put some quality muscle and mass on his frame. It's really not that hard. He can start by switching up his breakfast habits. 3 whole eggs, 2 pieces of white bread and some ketchup isn't going to give him much help in gaining weight.

Observations from this picture - Tanev is still much too skinny, Jensen looks pudgy, Pinizzotto is a lot less imposing than I remember from Preseason, and Archibald looks absolutely massive. Either way it's a sharp looking group of prospects. I hope one or even two of them challenge for a roster spot this season.

Jensen has a pudgy face like plenty of Danish teens, even Edler had it a bit and he's Swedish. He's 205lbs and 19 now so of course he's going to need to do the same thing Kassian is doing, cut fat and replace it with muscle.

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#51 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,040 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:34 PM

wonder why (correct me if I'm wrong) the team hasn't trained Tanev with Roberts much like they have with Cody and Kassian? He could really use more strength and grow into his frame more, not only to take more hits but to throw some and pack a heavier shot.

I'm glad that the team has someone stable like him on the 3rd pairing, though I would not be opposed to the team picking up some size for the bottom pairings (if Lu to Toronto happens and they demand a cap dump I'd take Komisarek to platoon as #7 guy and move Alberts off; the team could really use a Matt Greene type shutdown D-man for the bottom pairing, which Alberts and Joslin are not).

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#52 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 69,116 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Garrison
Ballard - Tanev

Love it! Just need to find depth as Rome has left us to join Dallas. As much as we hated Rome, he really was a great depth guy for 7th/8th defender.

307mg00.jpg

#53 Spoderman

Spoderman

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,993 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:47 PM

Posted Image

Jensen, Gaunce, Schroeder?, Tanev, Matson?, Friesen, Corrado, Archibald
Posted Image

Posted Image

Credit to BananaMash for both

STHS GM Anaheim Ducks

#54 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:59 PM

Could he teach Raymond how to put on the weight too?
Posted Image

#55 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,990 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:08 PM

wonder why (correct me if I'm wrong) the team hasn't trained Tanev with Roberts much like they have with Cody and Kassian? He could really use more strength and grow into his frame more, not only to take more hits but to throw some and pack a heavier shot.

I'm glad that the team has someone stable like him on the 3rd pairing, though I would not be opposed to the team picking up some size for the bottom pairings (if Lu to Toronto happens and they demand a cap dump I'd take Komisarek to platoon as #7 guy and move Alberts off; the team could really use a Matt Greene type shutdown D-man for the bottom pairing, which Alberts and Joslin are not).

they have him training with gaugner right now:

12:05 – As we enter Rink 4, Canucks draftee Frankie Corrado skates over. “What are you guys doing here?” he asks. We explain. This happens another four times as Brendan Gaunce, Steve Pinizzotto, Jeremy Price and Darren Archibald, all players linked to the Canucks in one way or another, are part of an eight person optional skate run by Canucks director of player development Dave Gagner. It’s prospects camp without the grind, although as Tanev informs me afterwards, it was a rough skate.

http://canucks.nhl.c...vid=DL|VAN|home

but tanev DOES participate in gary roberts camp:

Tanev plans to continue addressing this summer, when he’ll train for the second consecutive off-season with fitness consultant Gary Roberts. Last summer’s work showed this past season, as Tanev was able to bring a more physical approach at times to his precision game.

http://blogs.theprov...to-add-offence/

and it's not the team that sends players to roberts, the players themselves pay for it and reach out to roberts to train with him.

Edited by avelanch, 27 July 2012 - 06:10 PM.

#56 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:09 PM

And I bet if you even play in a league that he'd just walk around you and score a goal. This is just a dumb comment.
Posted Image

#57 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,684 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:11 PM

Drama queen to you, and in this case the Queen is right!

Take a look, does he look like Ohlund? Ohlund is listed 6'4" and 229 lbs, Tanev 185lbs. 44 lbs the difference for anyone math challenged, even though you suggested Tanev was approaching Ohlunds size as reason to be enthusiastic about his upcoming season. And you did so when Tanev's skinny as a rail pics were on the front page of Canucks dot com. Fact is this was not a well thought out post.

Tanev is a possible top 6. But not more, as he is really a defensive defender, with good ability to get to the puck and get it out of our zone against 3rd and 4th line match ups. Thats what he has proven so far anyway. When paired with Hamhuis in game 1 as a shut down pair against the top line, he got hammered physically, so bad he was removed to the 3rd line pair. He does not have breakout speed, a big shot, an ability to rush the puck. It is that good passing and positional play which defines him, but if only that at 185 lbs he is a 3rd pair guy at most.

Unless he actually gains weight.

Didn't say he was He-Man! Watching him last year I thought he was going to break in two with some of the hits he was taking. No he will probably never be 'thick' but solid is a distinct possibility.
Drama boy :sick: :sadno: :shock: :bored: :frantic: :picard:

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 27 July 2012 - 06:13 PM.

#58 Neufy161

Neufy161

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:56 PM

Jensen, Gaunce, Schroeder?, Tanev, Matson?, Friesen, Corrado, Archibald

lol that's defiantly not Schroeder

Jensen, Gaunce, Pinizzotto, Tanev, Price, Friesen, Corrado, Archibald

Posted Image

Signature by (>'-')>

#59 CookieCrumbs

CookieCrumbs

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:31 PM

It has the names of all the players in the Chris Tanev feature. I'm sure everybody that has named these players has seen this haha. The poster higher up that said "if you're a true fan, you can name these prospects" is ridiculous. 6 of the 8 are no brainers, but even still being able to name prospects from a poorly taken picture doesn't determine whether you're a "true" fan or not.

#60 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,684 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:31 PM

Replying to Avelanch and timestamp > Yeah there is one possibility?

If we go three pairs deep, pairs that could be extremely complimentary;

Edler / Tanev > primary offensive pair
Hamhuis / Bieksa > primary shut down pair
Ballard / Garrison > all purpose pair

The reason Tanev makes sense in this role is he is a great passer, plus plays positionally well and both afford opportunities for Edler who is our best offensive D. As much as Garrison can "hold the fort," he is not really the guy to spring Edler into opportunities. Tanev's passing potentially could. Playing in offensive situations, Tanev's size is less a detriment, Edler picks up the balance of his minutes on the PP. Garrison, while he owns a big shot, is primarily a shut down and shot blocking D. And he offers size. All of those things could unlock the potential we have never been able to see in Ballard, who would be more free to rush the puck and freelance, his strengths in a previous life.

Independent, I'd like to see KNot as our spare left D. He is another left side guy who can rush the puck, Alberts being right size size.

A very balanced D core, this line up utilizes the skills of all our guys?

But at 185 lbs, we should never see Tanev experimented with as a top shut down guy (like he was with Hamhuis in game 1). Yes he's effective as Ballards stay at home guy, but that's not against top match ups!

1st PP > Edler/Garrison, 2knd PP Hamhuis/Bieksa
1st SH > Hamhuis/Bieksa 2knd SH Ballard/Garrison

agreed, unless there is an injury, that is.

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 28 July 2012 - 05:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.