The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chris Tanev

Hogs & Podz

I remember watching him throw a beauty backdoor cross-grain pass from the point to the side of the net where Tanner Glass just had to slide the puck into an open net and fanned on it! In terms of offense, he has some decent vision, hands, and skating. It seems to me he has stuck to playing a very simple game without taking any risks. This is good for us as we haven't used him as a guy to put up points, really. With more NHL experience look to watch Tanev rush the puck and pinch more in the offensive zone because, like I said, he has the tools. Look at his consistantly solid plus/minus throughout his career. Not bad for a young undrafted D-man out of the JR. A/ College route. Excited to see Tanev play a full season.

Playing 10 to 15 minutes a game you want to keep things simple. So as of right now, we have no idea if he can do it or not. he definitely has the potential no doubt. But playing low minutes, your job is to keep things simple and clean.

No doubt in my mind he will continue to grow and be excellent defensively. I would like to see him produce more offensively though. He's a guy that we can see play any D pairing and be pretty reliable

July2612_tanev19_slide.jpg

I thought this picture was really cool. True fans should be able to name the players left to right. Btw Gaunce and Jensen look the same height even though Jensen is listed at 6'3" and Gaunce at 6'2".

BTW these are all Canucks in our system, good to see them train together in mid July.

Like you're going to notice an inch height difference between two guys decked in hockey gear.

Tanev is still much too skinny. He takes the hits well, but there's no question they'll wear on him over time. He needs to put some quality muscle and mass on his frame. It's really not that hard. He can start by switching up his breakfast habits. 3 whole eggs, 2 pieces of white bread and some ketchup isn't going to give him much help in gaining weight.

Observations from this picture - Tanev is still much too skinny, Jensen looks pudgy, Pinizzotto is a lot less imposing than I remember from Preseason, and Archibald looks absolutely massive. Either way it's a sharp looking group of prospects. I hope one or even two of them challenge for a roster spot this season.

wonder why (correct me if I'm wrong) the team hasn't trained Tanev with Roberts much like they have with Cody and Kassian? He could really use more strength and grow into his frame more, not only to take more hits but to throw some and pack a heavier shot.

I'm glad that the team has someone stable like him on the 3rd pairing, though I would not be opposed to the team picking up some size for the bottom pairings (if Lu to Toronto happens and they demand a cap dump I'd take Komisarek to platoon as #7 guy and move Alberts off; the team could really use a Matt Greene type shutdown D-man for the bottom pairing, which Alberts and Joslin are not).

July2612_tanev19_slide.jpg

I thought this picture was really cool. True fans should be able to name the players left to right. Btw Gaunce and Jensen look the same height even though Jensen is listed at 6'3" and Gaunce at 6'2".

BTW these are all Canucks in our system, good to see them train together in mid July.

wonder why (correct me if I'm wrong) the team hasn't trained Tanev with Roberts much like they have with Cody and Kassian? He could really use more strength and grow into his frame more, not only to take more hits but to throw some and pack a heavier shot.

I'm glad that the team has someone stable like him on the 3rd pairing, though I would not be opposed to the team picking up some size for the bottom pairings (if Lu to Toronto happens and they demand a cap dump I'd take Komisarek to platoon as #7 guy and move Alberts off; the team could really use a Matt Greene type shutdown D-man for the bottom pairing, which Alberts and Joslin are not).

Drama queen to you, and in this case the Queen is right!

Take a look, does he look like Ohlund? Ohlund is listed 6'4" and 229 lbs, Tanev 185lbs. 44 lbs the difference for anyone math challenged, even though you suggested Tanev was approaching Ohlunds size as reason to be enthusiastic about his upcoming season. And you did so when Tanev's skinny as a rail pics were on the front page of Canucks dot com. Fact is this was not a well thought out post.

Tanev is a possible top 6. But not more, as he is really a defensive defender, with good ability to get to the puck and get it out of our zone against 3rd and 4th line match ups. Thats what he has proven so far anyway. When paired with Hamhuis in game 1 as a shut down pair against the top line, he got hammered physically, so bad he was removed to the 3rd line pair. He does not have breakout speed, a big shot, an ability to rush the puck. It is that good passing and positional play which defines him, but if only that at 185 lbs he is a 3rd pair guy at most.

Unless he actually gains weight.

Didn't say he was He-Man! Watching him last year I thought he was going to break in two with some of the hits he was taking. No he will probably never be 'thick' but solid is a distinct possibility.

Drama boy :sick::sadno::shock::bored::frantic::picard:

It has the names of all the players in the Chris Tanev feature. I'm sure everybody that has named these players has seen this haha. The poster higher up that said "if you're a true fan, you can name these prospects" is ridiculous. 6 of the 8 are no brainers, but even still being able to name prospects from a poorly taken picture doesn't determine whether you're a "true" fan or not.

Archived