Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:21 AM

Scott Brown@BrownScottTN
#NHLJets agree to terms of contract extension with D Toby Enstrom

http://jets.nhl.com/...638766#comments

The Winnipeg Jets are pleased to announce they have agreed to terms on a multi-year extension to the current NHL contract of defenceman Toby Enstrom. As per club policy, terms of the extension were not disclosed.
Enstrom, 28, appeared in 62 games last season as an assistant captain with the Jets. He finished the year with 33 points (6G, 27A) and was second in scoring amongst the team’s defencemen. The native of Nordingra, Sweden is the Atlanta Thrashers/Winnipeg Jets franchise leader amongst defencemen in games played (380 – sixth most overall), points (204 – fourth overall), and assists (172 – third overall).

Enstrom’s 32 career goals are one shy of former Manitoba Moose Yannick Tremblay for most goals by a defenceman in franchise history. He has averaged 23:32 time on ice per game which leaves him second in franchise history behind teammate Dustin Byfuglien. He still holds the franchise single-season record for most assists by a defenceman with 44 in 2009-10.
He has represented his country in international competition six times, including four games and two assists at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver
He was originally drafted by the Atlanta Thrashers in the eighth round, 239th overall, in the 2003 NHL Draft.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=401573

The Winnipeg Jets announced Friday that the club has they have agreed to terms on a multi-year extension with defenceman Tobias Enstrom.
It is a five-year contract worth $28.75 million.
Enstrom, 28, appeared in 62 games last season as an assistant captain with the Jets. He finished the year with 33 points and was second in scoring amongst the team's defencemen. The native of Nordingra, Sweden is the Atlanta Thrashers/Winnipeg Jets franchise leader amongst defencemen in games played (380 – sixth most overall), points (204 – fourth overall), and assists (172 – third overall).
He has represented his country in international competition six times, including four games and two assists at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver. Enstrom was originally drafted by the Atlanta Thrashers in the eighth round, 239th overall, in the 2003 NHL Draft.

Edited by Sweatt_GLaNDs, 27 July 2012 - 01:49 PM.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#2 Kazmanian Devil

Kazmanian Devil

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,171 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:29 AM

Good for him and the Jets. Such an underrated player.

KLOSE 2014

#3 RXnucks975

RXnucks975

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:37 AM

Darn it heck! I was hoping we could snag him up next year to replace Erhoff. I was an ATL fan and he was my favorite player while a Thrasher (other than Hossa for a stint but that's cause I watched him win it all for the Winterhawks in his junior days) he's always been a great offensive tool, as well as a tough little checker he use to be near the top of ATL team in hits until they got that bloated boater from Chitown. I'd love an Enstrom Edler PP pairing, Enstrom could set up Eddie for his 100mph blast.

Any idea of terms?

Edited by RXnucks975, 27 July 2012 - 10:37 AM.

#4 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:00 AM

4.5 mil a year?

#5 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,577 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:35 AM

4.5 mil a year?

Hopefully in that neighborhood.

I liked Enstrom, but would not have been upset if we had traded him for a Top-6 players.

He is great on the PP (passes more than shoots), a pretty good passer, with his size being his greatest detriment. Does get man-handled from time to time, but uses a long stick to compensate.

#6 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,577 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

A little pricier than I predicted.

5 years, 28.75 million

5.75 mil cap hit

Not too shabby. Hopefully he continues to produce and improve.

#7 bigpush

bigpush

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:53 PM

5.75 a year is a little more than I thought he would make.....does this mean Subban makes over 6?

#8 RXnucks975

RXnucks975

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:09 PM

I think the price is what it took to keep him a Jet instead of seeing what other options he had. He has no connections with the Jets organization prior to a last year so why sign for a home town discount like he did a few years back for ATL

#9 D.Doughty

D.Doughty

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:25 PM

once they get kane sign, they will have a decent core to work with. Bogosian, Byfuglien, Kane, Burmistrov, Pavelec

#10 Pears

Pears

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,841 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:31 PM

Jets should make the playoffs next year with the current team they have
Posted Image

Credit to (>'-')> for the amazing sig!!

#11 CanucksFanMike

CanucksFanMike

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:32 PM

Really good signing... a solid top 4 offensive defenceman.

I dont think he is good enough defensively to be on the first pair with Buff though
Posted Image

#12 Legend Killer

Legend Killer

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:47 PM

5.75 a year is a little more than I thought he would make.....does this mean Subban makes over 6?

i can see 6.25 for subban

Edited by Legend Killer, 27 July 2012 - 05:48 PM.

Posted Image
For the first time in a long time.. the future looks bright..

#13 Martin Frk

Martin Frk

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:51 PM

Great Signing by the Jets!
Posted Image
Cred to Lemons

#14 Rey

Rey

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,432 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:36 PM

Very underrated player indeed. Deserves the money. P.K Subban doesn't deserve more money than Enstrom. Enstrom is a better all round player, who had a bad year last year. Still managed to put up the same amount of points as Subban in 20 less games. Really underrated defensively, smart player.

If anything, people should now have the idea of how much Edler is going to get. Edler and Enstrom are very close, around the top 20-10 mark. Edler's got more potential, but he's inconsistent. I'd imagine Edler would get around what Enstrom get. 5 Year, 5.7M for Edler would be good.

#15 Mack Attack

Mack Attack

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:50 AM

I don't know, Carolina and Tampa have both improved while Washington is looking to rebound. They'll be in tough to make it.

Good signing for them though. It'd be a good idea to get Edler signed to a similar deal in case he has a career year and asks for 7M+.

Edited by Mack Attack, 28 July 2012 - 01:50 AM.

#16 Pears

Pears

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,841 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:55 AM

True^. This is how I see the East panning out:

1) NY Rangers
2) Pittsburgh
3) Washington
4) Philly
5) Boston
6) Montreal
7) Carolina
8) Winnipeg

I feel without Thomas, Boston will slide a bit in the standings. As for the Enstrom signing, very solid for both parties. If the Jets can add 1 or 2 more d men, they could nail down that 8th seed.

Posted Image

#17 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,616 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:01 AM

If Enstrom is worth 5.75 then what is Edler worth? Could really impact the cap.

2d7ye0p.jpg

#18 RXnucks975

RXnucks975

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:02 PM

Depends on where they play next year...if they are in a new NW division then good luck against us and Minny, if their in the SE you got Washington Carolina Florida and Tampa all have young talented teams but they'd have a better shot. If they have to play Detriot Chitown Nashville and Stlouis then sorry another year of waiting

#19 LanghorneslimRules

LanghorneslimRules

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:53 PM

i can see 6.25 for subban

Hate to break it to you, but enstrom is a better player! Flame away but its true!

#20 blister soul

blister soul

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:14 PM

Wow, 28? I thought he was younger, like 25.
“Reason is itself a matter of faith. It is an act of faith to assert that our thoughts have any relation to reality at all.” - G.K. Chesterton

“Unbelief is as much of a choice as belief is. What makes it in many ways more appealing is that whereas to believe in something requires some measure of understanding and effort, not to believe doesn't require much of anything at all.” - Frederick Buechner

“All human nature vigorously resists grace because grace changes us and the change is painful.” - Flannery O'Connor

“My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust?” - C.S. Lewis

#21 Hobble

Hobble

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,577 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

Nah, he's just short.

#22 Pears

Pears

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,841 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:19 PM

I don't blame you, I thought he was younger too.
Posted Image

#23 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,025 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:23 PM

Hate to break it to you, but enstrom is a better player! Flame away but its true!

Why should anyone flame you? It's true, Enstrom is better than Subban.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.