The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Extension] Enstrom in Winnipeg - 5 years 28.75 Million

Scott Brown@BrownScottTN

#NHLJets agree to terms of contract extension with D Toby Enstrom

http://jets.nhl.com/...638766#comments

The Winnipeg Jets are pleased to announce they have agreed to terms on a multi-year extension to the current NHL contract of defenceman Toby Enstrom. As per club policy, terms of the extension were not disclosed.

Enstrom, 28, appeared in 62 games last season as an assistant captain with the Jets. He finished the year with 33 points (6G, 27A) and was second in scoring amongst the team’s defencemen. The native of Nordingra, Sweden is the Atlanta Thrashers/Winnipeg Jets franchise leader amongst defencemen in games played (380 – sixth most overall), points (204 – fourth overall), and assists (172 – third overall).

Enstrom’s 32 career goals are one shy of former Manitoba Moose Yannick Tremblay for most goals by a defenceman in franchise history. He has averaged 23:32 time on ice per game which leaves him second in franchise history behind teammate Dustin Byfuglien. He still holds the franchise single-season record for most assists by a defenceman with 44 in 2009-10.

He has represented his country in international competition six times, including four games and two assists at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver

He was originally drafted by the Atlanta Thrashers in the eighth round, 239th overall, in the 2003 NHL Draft.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=401573

The Winnipeg Jets announced Friday that the club has they have agreed to terms on a multi-year extension with defenceman Tobias Enstrom.

It is a five-year contract worth $28.75 million.

Enstrom, 28, appeared in 62 games last season as an assistant captain with the Jets. He finished the year with 33 points and was second in scoring amongst the team's defencemen. The native of Nordingra, Sweden is the Atlanta Thrashers/Winnipeg Jets franchise leader amongst defencemen in games played (380 – sixth most overall), points (204 – fourth overall), and assists (172 – third overall).

He has represented his country in international competition six times, including four games and two assists at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver. Enstrom was originally drafted by the Atlanta Thrashers in the eighth round, 239th overall, in the 2003 NHL Draft.

Darn it heck! I was hoping we could snag him up next year to replace Erhoff. I was an ATL fan and he was my favorite player while a Thrasher (other than Hossa for a stint but that's cause I watched him win it all for the Winterhawks in his junior days) he's always been a great offensive tool, as well as a tough little checker he use to be near the top of ATL team in hits until they got that bloated boater from Chitown. I'd love an Enstrom Edler PP pairing, Enstrom could set up Eddie for his 100mph blast.

Any idea of terms?

Very underrated player indeed. Deserves the money. P.K Subban doesn't deserve more money than Enstrom. Enstrom is a better all round player, who had a bad year last year. Still managed to put up the same amount of points as Subban in 20 less games. Really underrated defensively, smart player.

If anything, people should now have the idea of how much Edler is going to get. Edler and Enstrom are very close, around the top 20-10 mark. Edler's got more potential, but he's inconsistent. I'd imagine Edler would get around what Enstrom get. 5 Year, 5.7M for Edler would be good.

True^. This is how I see the East panning out:

1) NY Rangers

2) Pittsburgh

3) Washington

4) Philly

5) Boston

6) Montreal

7) Carolina

8) Winnipeg

I feel without Thomas, Boston will slide a bit in the standings. As for the Enstrom signing, very solid for both parties. If the Jets can add 1 or 2 more d men, they could nail down that 8th seed.

Archived