The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Old Men

bluesman60

It is hard to envision that the Sedins, Burrows and Malhotra are now the 'old men' on this team. When I think of the Sedins in particular, I still see them as those two young Swedish kids that Brian Burke drafted years back. It is amazing that they have played that many years and recieved very few injuries and the ones that they did recieve were a result of a cheap shot.

Burrows has had his share of injuries but he plays hard every shift and goes to the tough areas.

Manny Malhotra is due for a bounce back year. I hope that he can take the 3rd line centre position back this coming season or at least be back at centre on the 4th line. It just doesn't seem right to see Malhotra on the wing.

These four are going to be hard to replace when they decide to hang 'em up......all of them outstanding young men.

The great thing about the game that the Sedins play is that they don't rely on pure speed or strength to win. It's all about skill with them.. and skill is something that doesn't go away. When other players will have to retire from injuries, or will be playing at a lesser level because they just can't zoom their way past the younger players anymore, the Sedins will still be inventing new ways to break across the blue line, set up in the offensive zone, and make amazing saucer passes for perfect tap-in goals.

Sedins will play as long and be as important to this team as Linden was. Their production will obviously slowly begin to decrease, but nonetheless will still be able to rack up at least 50-60PTS a season. By that time maybe our prospects and whatever trades we do will become our new top line.

Sedins will be one of those players who can compete until their late 30s but they've already stated in the past that they want to play some hockey back in Sweden before they full retire from the sport. I can imagine them playing until maybe 34 here in N.A and then a few years back in Sweden.

Archived