#1 sakage.shinga

sakage.shinga

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:20 PM

Hi guys,

My family would like to go see the fireworks this year in Vancouver (Celebration of Lights). We went the year before last and parked inside Stanley Park and went to a spot along the seawall that had a good view of the barge (albeit a bit far away). This year, however, our needs have changed a little, and plus we'd like to be closer.

My parents are getting up there on the age ladder and aren't really keen on taking the bus and walking long distances. Unfortunately, as far as I know, all the places that are actually "close" to the barge are jam-packed on the day-of and aren't accessible by car. This means parking far away and walking to the destination. Is this a fairly accurate assessement?

If not, then what are some suggestions for viewing locations? My priorities are parking and ease-of-access.

Thanks!!!
Posted Image

#2 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,704 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:26 PM

The quality of spots nearby is reversely proportional to how late you can show up.
If you want to park close enough that your parents don't have to walk too far, show up early in the afternoon and section off some room for yourselves.

#3 Columbo

Columbo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,901 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:57 PM

Don't drive, take the skytrain. If you don't live close to a station, drive to the nearest one and park there, then train the rest of the way Problem solved.

#4 cj_coolcat

cj_coolcat

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 03:30 PM

Try Vanier park, it's right across the water from the barge. I've never tried driving there so I don't know what parking will be like, but it's definitely nowhere near as busy as downtown and it has a more relaxed family atmosphere. It's also a pretty nice place to hang out if you want to get there early enough to guarantee a good parking spot.
QUOTE (kanadahockey @ Aug 20 2009, 08:48 AM) ah yes, comparing Natives to stray dogs wasn't critical of the Natives, it was actually critical of the Whites. How very White Man's Burden of you. Pip, pip and all that - let's retire to the library for cucumber sandwiches.

#5 canucks.bradley

canucks.bradley

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,418 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:31 PM

vanier park by the vancouver maritime museum would work the best for you. it has a pretty nice view too.
Posted Image
3000th post - September, 2010

K guys I nd hlp fast. Im @ a girls I rly like & txtng from my iphone. I did a #2 in the bathroom and it plugged, water is almost overflowing toilet. Srsly I dunno wut 2 do somebody help!

Watch Bowness somehow mess up Tampa Bay's already amazing 2 powerplay units...he'll probably tell Stamkos to do drop passes from centre ice, take him out from the faceoff dot, and place him infront of the goalie :lol:

#6 SAnuck

SAnuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:24 PM

Im moving to Vancouver on the 12th of August from Australia so I'm a bit curious what this light display is and when it is?

#7 McMillan

McMillan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:50 PM

Im moving to Vancouver on the 12th of August from Australia so I'm a bit curious what this light display is and when it is?

You're just missing out on it. It's a massive fireworks competition/show. Happens every year at this time. http://hondacelebrationoflight.com/

Posted Image

Thanks VC for the sig!

Demo was great, but I'm a two-way guy.

#8 hockeyville88

hockeyville88

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,443 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:02 AM

Great display by Vietnam today

I went to Vanier Park. It was perfect because we didn't get there till about 9:45 and we were still able to park on W4th and get a good spot on the beach. It's definitely further away than being right in English Bay but it was much more chill and family-oriented. Lots of young kids, older families, pets, etc. Don't worry though - the customary weed smokers were still out in full force (IMO you haven't had the full fireworks experience if you don't come home smelling like pot :) )

I recommend going there for anyone who isn't a fan of large crowds
Posted Image
Sig credit: GoaltenderInterference. Thanks!

#9 King_Canuckian

King_Canuckian

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:45 AM

I was at Vanier Park side. Wasn't the easiest to find parking, even at 7:30, but managed ok. Good show, but I was most impressed by how CLEAN the park was when we left. I'm glad we are taking responsibility for the appearance of our city.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.