The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Celebration of Lights - suggestions needed

sakage.shinga

Hi guys,

My family would like to go see the fireworks this year in Vancouver (Celebration of Lights). We went the year before last and parked inside Stanley Park and went to a spot along the seawall that had a good view of the barge (albeit a bit far away). This year, however, our needs have changed a little, and plus we'd like to be closer.

My parents are getting up there on the age ladder and aren't really keen on taking the bus and walking long distances. Unfortunately, as far as I know, all the places that are actually "close" to the barge are jam-packed on the day-of and aren't accessible by car. This means parking far away and walking to the destination. Is this a fairly accurate assessement?

If not, then what are some suggestions for viewing locations? My priorities are parking and ease-of-access.

Thanks!!!

The quality of spots nearby is reversely proportional to how late you can show up.

If you want to park close enough that your parents don't have to walk too far, show up early in the afternoon and section off some room for yourselves.

Try Vanier park, it's right across the water from the barge. I've never tried driving there so I don't know what parking will be like, but it's definitely nowhere near as busy as downtown and it has a more relaxed family atmosphere. It's also a pretty nice place to hang out if you want to get there early enough to guarantee a good parking spot.

Great display by Vietnam today

I went to Vanier Park. It was perfect because we didn't get there till about 9:45 and we were still able to park on W4th and get a good spot on the beach. It's definitely further away than being right in English Bay but it was much more chill and family-oriented. Lots of young kids, older families, pets, etc. Don't worry though - the customary weed smokers were still out in full force (IMO you haven't had the full fireworks experience if you don't come home smelling like pot :) )

I recommend going there for anyone who isn't a fan of large crowds

Archived