The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] 3rd Line Centre Idea: Vladimir Sobotka

Just an idea, I think he is a better option for that role then some of the names being tossed around like Arnott.

ASSETS: Plays with plenty of energy every shift. Owns some offensive acumen and a lot of passion, but gritty defense is the name of his game in the National Hockey League. Is versatile enough to play both center and wing. gif.gif

FLAWS: Is a bit undersized for the NHL, so he must continue to prove he can withstand the physical punishment (and avoid serious injury) while playing his game over the long haul. gif.gif

CAREER POTENTIAL: Versatile energy forward.

He's only 5'10 but I dont think that's an issue, this guy can hit and Fight.

There are plenty more examples on Youtube.

---------------------------------------------

St.Louis has Schwartz and Tarasenko who are ready to make the jump, so losing a forward really isn't a huge issue for them.

What do you think it will take?

I'd like to have Sobotka. I think he is an excellent bottom-six player. But there's no real reason for St. Louis to trade him, he's probably going to anchor their 3rd or 4th line. It would require an overpayment that probably won't be worth it.

More than likely Malhotra and Lapierre will be our 3rd and 4th line centers. This wouldn't be bad if Malhotra can rediscover his pre-injury form.

I dont think we would have to overpay, or else the price wouldnt be high.

He was traded to St.Louis for the rights David Warsofsky before, his stock has rosen (obviously) but I doubt it is any higher than Lappy's is.

It really wouldn't cost all that much, and they have young guys they want to get into the line-up so this would be a good way to do it.

I think he is probably slotted in as the Blues 3C, with Arnott most likely not resigning there. I'm not sure what we have that would interest St. Louis either. They have great forward depth and an excellent defense as well as a bunch of good prospects. Hensick or D'Agostini might be available but I don't see why the Blues would make a trade.

Those two guys are offensively minded top 2 centremen and we would have to give up a lot for them in a trade and we aren't going to do that if they are just gonna be on the third line with a checking role.

As for the OP, the sobotka idea isn't bad but Lappy and Manny are more like the traditional 3rd line checking center we need

I'd give Mad Max and Manny a chance for the 3rd and 4th lines; I think Max could really handle himself both with scoring expectations and defensive play if he didn't commit too many penalties. Sobotka is aggressive and young but probably too small for center (I'm not talking about guys like Ennis or Briere who are small, their role is to score whereas Vlad needs to play D and physically as well, so in the long run he would probably get worn down quicker due to attrition).

I'd give Mad Max and Manny a chance for the 3rd and 4th lines; I think Max could really handle himself both with scoring expectations and defensive play if he didn't commit too many penalties. Sobotka is aggressive and young but probably too small for center (I'm not talking about guys like Ennis or Briere who are small, their role is to score whereas Vlad needs to play D and physically as well, so in the long run he would probably get worn down quicker due to attrition).

Those two guys are offensively minded top 2 centremen and we would have to give up a lot for them in a trade and we aren't going to do that if they are just gonna be on the third line with a checking role.

As for the OP, the sobotka idea isn't bad but Lappy and Manny are more like the traditional 3rd line checking center we need

Berglund is also great defensively, and look some of the other top teams in the league and their 3rd line centres. Pittsburg had Staal and were one of the most dangerous teams in the league. Boston has Peverley, again, an offensive minded player who can also play defence. I don't see the point in going after another Pahlsson. If you think that's best than that's your opinion...but last time I checked, we aren't consistent offensively (especially the 2nd line) and we are in need of another centre. As for giving up alot to get them, I think your wrong their also. Berglund is a great player yes, but he is taking up a roster spot that St.Louis would like to fill with the emerging Tarosenko and Schwartz. As for Weiss, I'm sure Luongo, and a 2nd rd pick would be enough and is probably an overpayment.

It's also interesting to see that Florida took a gamble on Mueller, adding another centre, which might mean they are preparing to ship one out of town (Weiss *crosses fingers*)

Just an idea, I think he is a better option for that role then some of the names being tossed around like Arnott.

ASSETS: Plays with plenty of energy every shift. Owns some offensive acumen and a lot of passion, but gritty defense is the name of his game in the National Hockey League. Is versatile enough to play both center and wing. gif.gif

FLAWS: Is a bit undersized for the NHL, so he must continue to prove he can withstand the physical punishment (and avoid serious injury) while playing his game over the long haul. gif.gif

CAREER POTENTIAL: Versatile energy forward.

He's only 5'10 but I dont think that's an issue, this guy can hit and Fight.

There are plenty more examples on Youtube.

---------------------------------------------

St.Louis has Schwartz and Tarasenko who are ready to make the jump, so losing a forward really isn't a huge issue for them.

What do you think it will take?

Archived