The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Sabres trying to get Ryan

I really don't see it. He was injured and after basically being told he was faking to cover his performance, he wanted another opinion - which proved he as injured. How was that wrong?

Then when he was in our top 4 goal scorers, he was wrong to think he should get more than 12 minutes a game?That's the ice time that the plugs who can't score get. When your 4th in goals and 9th-10th in ice time among forwards, you should ask for more time, especially when you're told ice time is performance based...

I think he should have got more ice from time to time. But apparently the coaching staff was content on playing him at center and that was it. Anything beyond a third line role was obviously out of the question. As was obviously stated/argued on here and 1040 "But he's a center playing behind Kesler and Henrik!" Well, for starters you can usually play a centerman on the wing. It's easier to do that than to go from wing to center. Why people can't figure this out, I'll never know. Maybe because they have never actually played real hockey. Cody's defensive ability was questioned. A winger has less defensive responsibility than center, of course. You basically address two issues right then and there. I'm just not pleased with how it was handled overall. Perhaps Cody should have just bit the bullet and played the role he was given, which was a great fit for him and this team. I personally would have been satisfied with tht for now. You're 21 years old playing a solid role on a Cup contender. What the hell is the problem exactly? And perhaps the staff should have promoted him and given him more opportunity as he was one of the best rookies last season when you factor in production and ice time.

At the end of the day, based on what we/I know about this, I think it was poorly handled from both sides.

Both offers from Buffalo and Philly are pretty solid. But the Philly offer is better imo. Matt Read is going to be a better player than either Staford or Adam, Mez is better than Sekera, and Laughton is a solid 2 way center prospect in the mold of Kesler.

I cant see it being tru tho... As the move would really decemate Phillys depth on defence... (timonen, coburn, schenn, grossman top 4? ...yuck) Unless they had another deal for a Dman... Ballard? :P

In Buffallos case, its a move they can afford, but if these offers are accurate, Anaheim would be wise to sit back, and let the bidding war continue.

It also suggests to me that Philly is likley out of the Doan sweeps :)

On the face of it, I'd agree, but I think it comes down to a question of need.

Here's a question: If the Canucks didn't have Schneider, would anybody here be interested in trading Luongo for another team's castoffs or 3rd-level prospects?

The Panthers don't have anyone like Luongo or Schneider. They need goaltending more than they do goal scoring.

I really don't see it. He was injured and after basically being told he was faking to cover his performance, he wanted another opinion - which proved he as injured. How was that wrong?

Then when he was in our top 4 goal scorers, he was wrong to think he should get more than 12 minutes a game?That's the ice time that the plugs who can't score get. When your 4th in goals and 9th-10th in ice time among forwards, you should ask for more time, especially when you're told ice time is performance based...

Archived