The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Sabres trying to get Ryan

You know what I don't get?

Getzlaf and Perry are both UFA next year. Trading Ryan could completely dismantle their team if they walk! And those two guys, even as a rental risk, could still command a kings ransom in trade. And why aren't they using the current CBA as an opportunity to lock them in? Ryan and Perry are risking a small fortune by not signing on now with the Ducks... Something seems awfully unsettled, a sure sign they are leaving or ownership wont commit, if they can't be inked?

I'd be building around Ryan and what I score for those two studs if it looks like they are going to walk!

On the face of it, I'd agree, but I think it comes down to a question of need.

Here's a question: If the Canucks didn't have Schneider, would anybody here be interested in trading Luongo for another team's castoffs or 3rd-level prospects?

The Panthers don't have anyone like Luongo or Schneider. They need goaltending more than they do goal scoring.

according to dale tallon, the panthers were a couple years ahead of schedule last year, so i personally think that yes, they would be prepared to miss the playoffs next year if it was better in the long run.

You may be right. Markstrom is a solid prospect, but it should be noted that he has a grand total of 8 games played in the NHL. Hanging your hat on a guy that inexperienced is a gamble.

The real question is, are the Panthers prepared to miss the playoffs this season? Yes, they had the third seed last year, but that was because they play in a weak division. This off-season, that division has gotten much stronger, making a finish out of the playoffs a real possibility for the Panthers.

I understand a reluctance to trade away prospects like Bjugstad, but Florida has a lot of depth in the system. They do not have a lot of depth in the NHL when it comes to the goaltending position.

The question is, can Theodore and Clemmensen bridge the gap until Markstrom is ready for prime time, or should Florida consider taking on a goaltender who has publicly stated that he likely won't play out his contract, who not only can bridge the gap, but could make an excellent mentor for JM as well. (Bearing in mind that the Panthers have over 16 million in Cap space)

And you think MG would look good with a $5.3 mil cap hit wearing a ball cap? Think of the circus that training camp will be with Luongo here. Luongo doesn't want to be here but won't walk away from his, what $7 mil salary. So $5.3 mil on the bench and Aquillini paying $7 mil for a guy they don't want and who doesn't want to be here- yeah MG will let that happen.

Archived