Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

[Report] Sabres trying to get Ryan

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
68 replies to this topic

#31 hockeyfan90

hockeyfan90

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:58 PM

Hockeyy Insiderr@HockeyyInsiderr
BREAKING NEWS: The #Sabres have an OFFER ON THE TABLE for Bobby Ryan: Stafford+Adam+Sekera+1st/ Ball in #NHLDucks court

Pretty damn sexy if true

He also said this yesterday

The #Flyers have offered ON THE TABLE for Bobby Ryan MATT READ+2013 1st+ Laughton+ Meszaros. #CONFIRMED Ball in#NHLDucks court. #WOWANd

And he also said that the Bruins offered Krejci and a prospect for Ryan (Couldn't find the tweet)

He's been wrong a lot of times and right just a few times

#32 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:01 PM

He also said this yesterday

The #Flyers have offered ON THE TABLE for Bobby Ryan MATT READ+2013 1st+ Laughton+ Meszaros. #CONFIRMED Ball in#NHLDucks court. #WOWANd

And he also said that the Bruins offered Krejci and a prospect for Ryan (Couldn't find the tweet)

He's been wrong a lot of times and right just a few times

Doesn't mean he's wrong, just means those are the offers. Only way to know if it's true is to wait for the trade to happen, and compare. That Philly offer is really nice! (If true)
Posted Image

#33 grimmjow

grimmjow

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:01 PM

Per Twitter it involves Sekera, Stafford, Adam and a 1st Rd. 2013 for Ryan.

"Hockeyy Insiderr@HockeyyInsiderr
BREAKING NEWS: The #Sabres have an OFFER ON THE TABLE for Bobby Ryan: Stafford+Adam+Sekera+1st/ Ball in #NHLDucks court"

Edited by grimmjow, 28 July 2012 - 06:09 PM.

Mike Gillis - He came, he saw, he conquered...
I told you all to be patient but many just had to complain - now you revere him beyond all!!

#34 hockeyfan90

hockeyfan90

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:04 PM

Doesn't mean he's wrong, just means those are the offers. Only way to know if it's true is to wait for the trade to happen, and compare. That Philly offer is really nice! (If true)

Yea let's just wait and see what happens. Looks like its between Philly, Boston or Sabres. And these same people were saying that if the Boston deal happens, Ducks would probably trade Getzlaf (Most likely to the Leafs). Pretty insane offseason Anaheim would have it any of these are true! Between the Boston, Philly, and Sabres deal for Ryan which would you choose. I'd go with the Sabres deal and keep Getzlaf.

#35 grimmjow

grimmjow

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:11 PM

I don't know about you guys, but if I were Anaheim I would pull the trigger on that one. Too bad it doesn't include Ennis though.. The kid's a stud.
I told you all to be patient but many just had to complain - now you revere him beyond all!!

#36 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,356 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:11 PM

Is Hodgson turning out to be a cancer for teams?

I think it's more so daddy. I've never heard of such an arrogant Canadian kid, or any kid for that matter, demanding everything be handed to him.
Posted Image

#37 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:12 PM

Yea let's just wait and see what happens. Looks like its between Philly, Boston or Sabres. And these same people were saying that if the Boston deal happens, Ducks would probably trade Getzlaf (Most likely to the Leafs). Pretty insane offseason Anaheim would have it any of these are true! Between the Boston, Philly, and Sabres deal for Ryan which would you choose. I'd go with the Sabres deal and keep Getzlaf.

Tough, they're pretty even. I like the Sabres one a bit more.
Posted Image

#38 Jester@wraiths.ca

Jester@wraiths.ca

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,226 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:26 PM

I think it's more so daddy. I've never heard of such an arrogant Canadian kid, or any kid for that matter, demanding everything be handed to him.

I really don't see it. He was injured and after basically being told he was faking to cover his performance, he wanted another opinion - which proved he as injured. How was that wrong?
Then when he was in our top 4 goal scorers, he was wrong to think he should get more than 12 minutes a game?That's the ice time that the plugs who can't score get. When your 4th in goals and 9th-10th in ice time among forwards, you should ask for more time, especially when you're told ice time is performance based...

#39 Tystick

Tystick

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:31 PM

I really don't see it. He was injured and after basically being told he was faking to cover his performance, he wanted another opinion - which proved he as injured. How was that wrong?
Then when he was in our top 4 goal scorers, he was wrong to think he should get more than 12 minutes a game?That's the ice time that the plugs who can't score get. When your 4th in goals and 9th-10th in ice time among forwards, you should ask for more time, especially when you're told ice time is performance based...

It was AVs choice, but Hodgson shouldn't have been traded because of that.
Posted Image

#40 Tangerines

Tangerines

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:42 PM

Hodgson was playing sheltered minutes on the third line though which may have helped him in the points department. I doubt he would have gotten the same numbers playing up against the other teams top players. Also, besides his offensive break out he didn't play an overall, well rounded game. Wasn't really contributing in any other department. Would he improve in the other areas of his game in time? Well that remains to be seen. I do agree that he should have been given a shot though.

Edited by JohnLennon, 28 July 2012 - 06:43 PM.

#41 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,356 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

I think he should have got more ice from time to time. But apparently the coaching staff was content on playing him at center and that was it. Anything beyond a third line role was obviously out of the question. As was obviously stated/argued on here and 1040 "But he's a center playing behind Kesler and Henrik!" Well, for starters you can usually play a centerman on the wing. It's easier to do that than to go from wing to center. Why people can't figure this out, I'll never know. Maybe because they have never actually played real hockey. Cody's defensive ability was questioned. A winger has less defensive responsibility than center, of course. You basically address two issues right then and there. I'm just not pleased with how it was handled overall. Perhaps Cody should have just bit the bullet and played the role he was given, which was a great fit for him and this team. I personally would have been satisfied with tht for now. You're 21 years old playing a solid role on a Cup contender. What the hell is the problem exactly? And perhaps the staff should have promoted him and given him more opportunity as he was one of the best rookies last season when you factor in production and ice time.

At the end of the day, based on what we/I know about this, I think it was poorly handled from both sides.
Posted Image

#42 grimmjow

grimmjow

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:44 PM

Why has this turned into a COHO discussion. Let's keep it on topic boys.

#43 Tangerines

Tangerines

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,373 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 06:47 PM

I think he should have got more ice from time to time. But apparently the coaching staff was content on playing him at center and that was it. Anything beyond a third line role was obviously out of the question. As was obviously stated/argued on here and 1040 "But he's a center playing behind Kesler and Henrik!" Well, for starters you can usually play a centerman on the wing. It's easier to do that than to go from wing to center. Why people can't figure this out, I'll never know. Maybe because they have never actually played real hockey. Cody's defensive ability was questioned. A winger has less defensive responsibility than center, of course. You basically address two issues right then and there. I'm just not pleased with how it was handled overall. Perhaps Cody should have just bit the bullet and played the role he was given, which was a great fit for him and this team. I personally would have been satisfied with tht for now. You're 21 years old playing a solid role on a Cup contender. What the hell is the problem exactly? And perhaps the staff should have promoted him and given him more opportunity as he was one of the best rookies last season when you factor in production and ice time.

At the end of the day, based on what we/I know about this, I think it was poorly handled from both sides.

^^^^^
This. What happens behind closed doors we'll never know.

Edited by JohnLennon, 28 July 2012 - 06:48 PM.

#44 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,181 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:51 AM

Per Twitter it involves Sekera, Stafford, Adam and a 1st Rd. 2013 for Ryan.

"Hockeyy Insiderr@HockeyyInsiderr
BREAKING NEWS: The #Sabres have an OFFER ON THE TABLE for Bobby Ryan: Stafford+Adam+Sekera+1st/ Ball in #NHLDucks court"

Bit of an overpayment by the Sabres but having Bobby Ryan on the team may make it worth it. Hopefully Buffalo can somehow take Sekera out of the deal and throw in a prospect d-man or someone like Leopold.

Edited by TheEhrhoffEffect, 29 July 2012 - 12:52 AM.

#45 70seven

70seven

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:50 AM

Both offers from Buffalo and Philly are pretty solid. But the Philly offer is better imo. Matt Read is going to be a better player than either Staford or Adam, Mez is better than Sekera, and Laughton is a solid 2 way center prospect in the mold of Kesler.

I cant see it being tru tho... As the move would really decemate Phillys depth on defence... (timonen, coburn, schenn, grossman top 4? ...yuck) Unless they had another deal for a Dman... Ballard? :P

In Buffallos case, its a move they can afford, but if these offers are accurate, Anaheim would be wise to sit back, and let the bidding war continue.

It also suggests to me that Philly is likley out of the Doan sweeps :)

#46 70seven

70seven

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:57 AM

dp

Edited by 70seven, 29 July 2012 - 08:57 AM.

#47 aqua59

aqua59

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,105 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

Why is there no Ryan to Vancouver thread. why wouldn't that happen?

#48 hockeyfan90

hockeyfan90

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:48 PM

Rumour_Express@InsiderLegit

Florida will enter the Bobby Ryan sweepstakes and is willing to trade Gudbranson or Kulikov. Jonathan H. is off limits.

#49 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,188 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:16 PM

I call BS on that. If Florida isn't willing to give up Gubranson/Huberdeau/Kulikov for Luongo, why would they give them up for Ryan?

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#50 iLLmAtlc

iLLmAtlc

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:25 PM

I call BS on that. If Florida isn't willing to give up Gubranson/Huberdeau/Kulikov for Luongo, why would they give them up for Ryan?

C'mon now you don't think a 25 year old 30-35 goal scorer signed for 3 more years at 5 something is more valuable than Luongo?
Posted Image

#51 TheEhrhoffEffect

TheEhrhoffEffect

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,181 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:36 PM

They already have Markstrom who will be better then Luongo in a few years. Bobby Ryan is a rare commodity in this league, a skilled power forward who can play both wing and centre.

#52 canucklax

canucklax

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:42 PM

Rumour_Express@InsiderLegit
Florida will enter the Bobby Ryan sweepstakes and is willing to trade Gudbranson or Kulikov. Jonathan H. is off limits.

as an fyi that handle isn't a legit source, he's on these boards

Bring Back the Totems!

#53 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:29 PM

I'd give a left nut for Bobby Ryan.
Posted Image

#54 Luongo

Luongo

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:56 PM

I'd give a left nut for Bobby Ryan.

Bollocks to that. Me and Lefty have had some good times together. Take that low riding cocky son of a bitch Righty.

#55 D-Money

D-Money

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,575 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:54 AM

They already have Markstrom who will be better then Luongo in a few years. Bobby Ryan is a rare commodity in this league, a skilled power forward who can play both wing and centre.

Markstrom is far from a lock for NHL starting goaltender, let alone a Vezina-calibre one. He has had some issues with his knees. He had a poor playoffs (AHL) too.
Posted Image

#56 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,240 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:22 PM

Don't be such a homer. Bobby Ryan's value >> Luongo's value.
Posted Image

#57 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,176 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:44 PM

Don't be such a homer. Bobby Ryan's value >> Luongo's value.

On the face of it, I'd agree, but I think it comes down to a question of need.

Here's a question: If the Canucks didn't have Schneider, would anybody here be interested in trading Luongo for another team's castoffs or 3rd-level prospects?

The Panthers don't have anyone like Luongo or Schneider. They need goaltending more than they do goal scoring.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#58 Everybody Hates Raymond

Everybody Hates Raymond

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,609 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:45 PM

On the face of it, I'd agree, but I think it comes down to a question of need.

Here's a question: If the Canucks didn't have Schneider, would anybody here be interested in trading Luongo for another team's castoffs or 3rd-level prospects?

The Panthers don't have anyone like Luongo or Schneider. They need goaltending more than they do goal scoring.

Have you seen the Panthers scoring? They need it more.

#59 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 19,176 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

Have you seen the Panthers scoring? They need it more.

Everyone here seems to like to trot out playoff numbers as being most important, so I will too.

The Panthers were 5th in goals/game in last year's playoffs and 11th in goals against. I've already pointed out several times that they lost to the Devils because of two very weak OT goals...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#60 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,836 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:49 PM

I don't see it either.

Did we prop up his points in January with more O' starts? Sure! He also led our team in scoring and was propped into that spot while the Sedins and Kesler were struggling. Seemed a pretty logical opportunity to finally give our highly touted prospect a shot. And it helped us, whch CDC'ers are too easy to forget that so they can tow the party line. We started a our best winning streak of the season when Hodgson was hot, which included key wins against tough opponents where CoHo was the clutch player. It only became a CoHo and his daddy were whining story when Kassian did not have as much lustre as advertised out of the gate; pretty smelly!

And it was the first time we put this offensive player in an offensive situation to play to his strengths. He delivered, and then we knocked him back into a role he was not suited for again. I would have been pissed. But again, it was Cry Baby Gillis who went public, not daddy or junior, when crap hit the fan!

Here's a bet that says Buffalo builds their team around Hodgson and Grigorenko (as he comes around in a year or so). Hodgson the scorer and Grigs the big two way centre. But till both arrive, sure a big 3rd line centre who can jump up make sense, as does a big scoring winger (Ryan) as they have these two highly touted centre prospects and studs already in place on D and in goal. Regier looks on track to me!

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 30 July 2012 - 05:10 PM.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.