The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler comparable to Enstrom - Eklund

TheCammer

Edler has the size to be an elite talent at D in this league. he has the offensive ability to rack up 50-60 points a season, plus he has shown that he can hit as hard as anyone in the league. Not to mention he has a blast of a slap shot. Enstrom is an very gifted and good hockey player, but he can't move big forwards around like Eddie can. It's an interesting comparison, but the article comparing the wrong aspects of their game while ignoring how physically gifted Edler is

As usual Eklund makes himself look like an idiot.

I am not saying I am an expert on scouting a player, but I have watched both of them play, hundreds of times on television, while in the back of my mind comparing them and their style and habits, etc

Edler is more confident and attempts more with the puck, passes better, better point shot.

Just my honest opinion, not taking anything from Enstrom who is great as well

I don't consider myself a complete Canucks' homer and I feel many of the Canucks fanbase over value many of our players (we also under value many as well - Lui) but the article by Eklund today estimating that Edler is comparable to Enstrom seems off-base.

http://www.hockeybuz...r-Worth/1/45838

I don't think Edler is a Norris candidate or ever will be but I can see him being a perennial all-star. Enstrom is good steady offensive defenseman but I think he may have peaked. Maybe i haven't seen him play enough.

Thoughts?

As usual Eklund makes himself look like an idiot.

I am not saying I am an expert on scouting a player, but I have watched both of them play, hundreds of times on television, while in the back of my mind comparing them and their style and habits, etc

Edler is more confident and attempts more with the puck, passes better, better point shot.

Just my honest opinion, not taking anything from Enstrom who is great as well

Reasons why Enstrom deserves more $$$ than Edler

- Enstrom managed 50+ pts without having offensive talent like the sedins/kesler on their team.

- City wise, Vancouver is generally considered more favourable

- Vancouver is generally considered more competitive than Winnipeg

I wouldn't give Edler more than Kesler.

I'd say 4.85 x 6 yrs. Maybe 7 yrs?

You have watched Enstrom on tv hundreds of times ? what in highlights ? You have no problem calling out Eklund as a idiot but yet you come up with a scouting report on a player you dont watch play on a regular basis ? sounds kinda idiotic to me

As a long time Canucks fan I'm gonna be a homer and say Edler simply cause I've seen Edler play a lot more than I've seen Enstrom. I hope Edler can be Vancouver's answer to Detroits Lidstrom. Not skill wise of course Lidstrom owns Edler as a defense man. But as a career player, all time franchise great wise.

The comparison is contract value, not playing style. Eklund is pretty close in this case but that's like saying the water is wet. Not that hard. In regards to the OP I think we hugely overvalue Edler here. I haven't seen Enstrom play nearly as much but if I was acting as GM I'd probably go with Enstrom. Less mistakes and he can put up the same points while being heads and tails better defensively.

Archived