The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

AV needs to let him play

Erik Karlsson

Although, if we do sign Doan, and depending what we get back from the Luongo deal (If it happens), he may have to spend most of the year in the minors.

Sedin - Sedin - Doan

Booth - Kesler - Burrows

Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen

Raymond - Malhotra - Weise

Not much room available

Not sure who it is but someone on here has a sig which is a bar graph of GP G A P PIM for Hodgson and Kassian's first NHL and AHL years. Kassian was clearly the better player and had a serious presence on the ice both at the AHL and NHL levels. Ultimately we got this for Hodgson and Sulzer, so what are you people crying about? Cody was a whiner.

Or it could be that he just wasn't ready to contribute yet. He was good when he first came here, but his play dropped off after that. He would have got more ice time if he would have played better. Keep in mind that's a highlight video, so it only shows his best plays. So far Kassian has shown flashes of being a brilliant player, but he needs to do it more consistently if he wants a bigger role on the team.

Check out the tapes of games last year soon after Kassian was traded to the Canucks. There are several games where there are skirmishes on the ice, with Kassian on the bench, and players standing up to watch the fights. Take a close look at A.V. standing directly behind/beside Kassian (who is standing and watching the action intently). You'll see that A.V. has a very tight grip on Kassian's sweater, quite plainly restraining him in case he's ready to vault over the boards and join the fray. To me, that suggests that A.V. is not yet comfortable with Kassian's level of discipline. I found it to be most interesting. Take a look for yourselves.

Cheers.

I don't get why people have to be extremes on either side. Kassian is a promising young prospect who has a really big frame and has the potential to be a strong skilled power forward. Why anyone wouldn't be excited about that...i have no idea. But people shouldn't be getting their hopes up too high neither, he is still very new to the NHL.

Archived