The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

AV needs to let him play

Erik Karlsson

Kassian will determine how much Kassian plays - and AV will use him accordingly, as he does with all his young players.

As long as Kassian plays the solid two-way game he showed he is capable of, AV will be happy to give him all the opportunity he can - after all, there was probably no one happier on trade deadline day to be getting Kassian than AV. Kassian is also in a different situation than Hodgson - aside from Hansen, he is the only other natural right winger on the roster. If the Canucks sign Doan, it will likely effect Kassian's ice time, but if they don't, there is a great opportunity for Kassian as a young player on an otherwise veteran club. Regardless, he will get some of the best coaching there is.

Although, if we do sign Doan, and depending what we get back from the Luongo deal (If it happens), he may have to spend most of the year in the minors.

Sedin - Sedin - Doan

Booth - Kesler - Burrows

Higgins - Lapierre - Hansen

Raymond - Malhotra - Weise

Not much room available

Guest gumballthechewy

Not sure what kassian did to get the crazy respect you all show for him. but if you are willing to bend over that easy for someone that has accomplished nothing in the nhl it will be easy for MG to pull the wool over your eyes for years to come.

Kassian may not have found his stride at the end of last season, but from what I'm hearing, he's getting himself into the best shape of his life.To me he's showing how serious he's taking next season and how bad he wants to be an important part of our success.

I kind of feel for the kid. He was traded at the end of the season for a guy that Vancouver fans loved and thought was going to be here for a long time. Even the players themselves didn't seem to see it coming. I really wasn't surprised that he never really got comfortable. Vancouver is a pressure pot to play in. Every game is scrutinised and the players are put under a microscope, being judged for every play they make or miss.

I think, with a full training camp under his belt and a fair chance to actually get to know his teammates he will find where he fits. I believe he will have a solid season. He showed flashes of his potential last year but, unfortunately more often than not, he couldn't finnish. I hope that changes this year for both himself and the team.

Don't worry Zack Kassian fans, MG will make AV play him in offensive type roles, just to show case him enough, and then he will be traded for a player to help the Canucks for their playoff run! So don't worry Kassian fans MG will eventually make AV play him, you will see him play sometime!

If that's the case then why does Raymond get Ice Time?

AV is biased and I'm getting tired of him playing favorites.

if a young player plays well, there is no change in the ice time, unless that player gets less.

Don't worry Zack Kassian fans, MG will make AV play him in offensive type roles, just to show case him enough, and then he will be traded for a player to help the Canucks for their playoff run! So don't worry Kassian fans MG will eventually make AV play him, you will see him play sometime!

Raymond plays quite well defensively. When he first came up he'd get moved to the third or fourth line and found himself benched when he floated defensively. And it wouldn't matter if he scored a goal in the game if he didn't back check he'd lose ice time. AV has done it with every prospect including the ones that are now veterans on the team. Kesler, Burrows and Hansen all went through the same process. That tells me it not a case of playing favorites. It's simply a teaching tool.

Veterans will always get more slack than prospects.

You think Raymond is a great defensive player?

He can kill penalties because of his speed and skating abililty, people give him too much credit for his defensive play, I think he isn't really all that defensive at all, He just uses his skating ability.

So that being said offensively if someone is playing better than Raymond why would AV give Raymond that time isn't of the younger player who is playing better?

And I love Booth, I defend him non-stop but he isn't A+ defensively either.

Which is why Booth rarely sees the ice 4 on 4 in OT and Raymond does. Raymond has become a good back checker and pretty good in his own end. Which is also why Raymond plays PK and Booth doesn't. It isn't rocket science.

It's not like Kassian wasn't given opportunities. He got Sedin time, 2nd line, third line and then wound up on the forth line. He not only wasn't producing he wasn't as defensively sound. AV will give players time to work out of a slump as long as they play hard both directions. But if you're in a slump and a defensive liability you will lose ice time. And as I've said many times, veterans will always get more slack than prospects.

Last time I checked Kesler and Burrows both played under Marc Crawford first in their first NHL season, actually Kesler played in the 2003-04 for 28 games, but both played in 2005-06 Marc Crawfords last year as the Canucks head coach.

Which is why Booth rarely sees the ice 4 on 4 in OT and Raymond does. Raymond has become a good back checker and pretty good in his own end. Which is also why Raymond plays PK and Booth doesn't. It isn't rocket science.

It's not like Kassian wasn't given opportunities. He got Sedin time, 2nd line, third line and then wound up on the forth line. He not only wasn't producing he wasn't as defensively sound. AV will give players time to work out of a slump as long as they play hard both directions. But if you're in a slump and a defensive liability you will lose ice time. And as I've said many times, veterans will always get more slack than prospects.

Archived