30 replies to this topic

#1 TheRussianRocket96

TheRussianRocket96

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:30 PM

After watching some of the U17 Team Pacific camp this weekend in Kamloops I think anyone out there who is not already keeping an eye on Jake Virtanen should be. He purely outclasses the best BC and Alberta have to offer at his age group and showed why Calgary took him at #1 in last years WHL draft. I fully expect him to be a main contributor as a 16 year old this year for Calgary. He has unbelievable speed, an NHL calibre release in his shot and can absolutely steamroll players with hits. He is like a combination of Ovechkin/Malkin/Iginla. This kid is going to be an incredible hockey player.

#2 susraiders

susraiders

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,455 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:49 PM

My mom actually is good friends with his mom, so I will be keeping an eye on him very closely.

#3 Martin Frk

Martin Frk

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

He is a great player, Im good friends with his bro and have seen him play a lot. He is going to develop into an amazing Hockey Player
Posted Image
Cred to Lemons

#4 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:07 PM

Eligible for 2014 draft?

Top 5? I'll keep my eyes out for him.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#5 Machine Gun Kelly

Machine Gun Kelly

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:30 PM

inb4 Trade for Columbus's 2014 pick
Posted Image

#6 TheRussianRocket96

TheRussianRocket96

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:37 PM

It is a long time from now but as it stands he is definitely a contender for at least a top 3 pick. Here is a link to a video of him breaking through the whole Vancouver Giants team in an end to end rush last year. Keep in mind in the video he is playing as a 15 year old underage player! Incredible.

http://hitmenhockey....x/id/1325908522

fast forward to 40 seconds

#7 TheRussianRocket96

TheRussianRocket96

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:48 PM

Here is a new clip from Hitmen-Cougars the other night

#8 SkeeterHansen

SkeeterHansen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:34 PM

Here is a new clip from Hitmen-Cougars the other night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SblBZMQfgs0&feature=plcp

Jeeeeeeeezus. Kid's slick.

/=S=/

#9 theminister

theminister

Head Troll

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,350 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:22 PM

After watching him at the Hitmen-Giant's game on Saturday two things occurred to me:

1) He had as much talent, and the ability to use it effectively, as any player on the ice.

2) He has absolutely no clue how to position himself defensively yet.

Posted ImageNEW YORK ISLANDERS ROSTER - CDC GM LEAGUEPosted Image

2013 CDCGML CUP CHAMPIONS

#10 wesleySNIPES

wesleySNIPES

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:48 PM

After watching him at the Hitmen-Giant's game on Saturday two things occurred to me:

1) He had as much talent, and the ability to use it effectively, as any player on the ice.

2) He has absolutely no clue how to position himself defensively yet.

He is 16 years old and in his first full year in the WHL, There are NHL players who I question their defensive awareness so give him a shot to develop that. As for his offence, his skill for his age is incredible. He has had unflattering numbers so far but still should put up 20 goals as a rookie, and that is with a ridiculous amount of line shuffling going on in Calgary. I watched their second game against Lethbridge this week and he was on a line with Greg Chase and Victor Rask and with some allowance to gain some chemistry I think that line may be lethal and we will see Virtanen shoot up in production and possibly put up 30 this year

#11 TheRussianRocket96

TheRussianRocket96

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:55 PM

He is 16 years old and in his first full year in the WHL, There are NHL players who I question their defensive awareness so give him a shot to develop that. As for his offence, his skill for his age is incredible. He has had unflattering numbers so far but still should put up 20 goals as a rookie, and that is with a ridiculous amount of line shuffling going on in Calgary. I watched their second game against Lethbridge this week and he was on a line with Greg Chase and Victor Rask and with some allowance to gain some chemistry I think that line may be lethal and we will see Virtanen shoot up in production and possibly put up 30 this year

Yeah I have noticed that this year with him too some games playing on every line in one game. Maybe the coach is trying to see exactly what will work the best and stick with some lines after christmas. Also, here is a better link to his goal in Vancouver last year as a 15 year old.

#12 wesleySNIPES

wesleySNIPES

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

He got the winner the other night... may not be the prettiest looking goal but to me has some pretty high IQ going into making this play.

Edited by wesleySNIPES, 22 November 2012 - 06:59 PM.

#13 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

so glad he's finally capitalizing while he gets ice time

his speed gets him around defensemen on a regular basis. Gonna be a treat to watch for sure, might take a little longer to develop in my opinion.

also Rask is back! huge boost

Edited by Sven Baertschi, 22 November 2012 - 07:58 PM.

3499h5x.jpg
Johnny Gaudreau>any Casucks

Edler, Markstrom, Hansen, 2nd round pick 2014 to Islanders for Ryan Strome, 5th overall pick 2014

This is fairly even as well.

#14 wesleySNIPES

wesleySNIPES

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

Jake had a great game against Kelowna before the break. Scored a goal he helped create by knocking a defender down hard in the corner to create a 2 on 1 just out of frame. Can see it and also a few big hits in the second link though. Kid is a truck for a 16 year old.

http://hitmenhockey....2f18bcf2376bb71

#15 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:53 PM

He's only 16 and in his full WHL season, and he's playing on the top line with Cody and Greg Chase these days

40 goal season next year

3499h5x.jpg

Edler, Markstrom, Hansen, 2nd round pick 2014 to Islanders for Ryan Strome, 5th overall pick 2014

#16 wesleySNIPES

wesleySNIPES

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

I agree, He had a slow start this year but I think thats an adjustment period. I think he will finish with about 20 goals this year and will shoot up dramatically next year.

#17 TheRussianRocket96

TheRussianRocket96

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:36 PM

Team Pacific played their first game in the U17 World Challenge and the game was a beauty against Russia. 8-7 OT win in an all offence game. Jake scored a beauty goal getting by 2 russian players and sniping similar to his goal in Vancouver as a 15 year old.

Looking forward to continue watching this tournament as it goes on.

#18 TheRussianRocket96

TheRussianRocket96

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

Jake has continued to have a fantastic tournament, even though I have heard he has been playing while very sick. He now has 4 goals midway through their 3rd game.

a couple BEAUTIFUL goals against Finland today.

#19 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

Thanks for the vids. In the few Hitemen games I saw this year you can tell this kid has men's strength already.

Hopefully he comes back to Calgary and finish the year strong. He has too much talent to be held back

3499h5x.jpg

#20 wesleySNIPES

wesleySNIPES

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:37 PM

Jake has continued to have a fantastic tournament, even though I have heard he has been playing while very sick. He now has 4 goals midway through their 3rd game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dULIKWvt_Lk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEa0voOKqpw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaUVSd6UGSg

a couple BEAUTIFUL goals against Finland today.

SICK!

#21 TheRussianRocket96

TheRussianRocket96

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

For good measure Jake scored the shootout winner against Finland in a game they desperately needed to win to stay alive for medal contention. Amazing game for Jake and Team Pacific.

#22 nazzy_rocks23

nazzy_rocks23

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:37 PM

Played with his older brother Stefan, very similar player to Jake. Stefan posts Facebook videos of his brother sniping or dangling through d-men all the time. Despite a lack of WHL production this year, the kid has some major skill. However, the question is can he eventually take it to the Pro level. Keep an eye on him. Interesting thing I noticed is that all the videos posted in the topics are the exact same as the ones I saw on fb. Cool to see his brother/or family member recording them through a camera against the tv and uploading on YouTube . You can tell by his username "rvirts"

Edited by nazzy_rocks23, 03 January 2013 - 11:43 PM.

399 × 245 - blogs.theprovince.com 

#23 TheRussianRocket96

TheRussianRocket96

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:36 PM

Jake scored another against Ontario. 5G 2A in 5 games to finish the tournament.

#24 TheRussianRocket96

TheRussianRocket96

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

Jake has been on fire since he got back from the U17 Challenge even still playing 4th line putting up the points with 3G 1A in his 3 games since returning. Here are a couple of his goals.

a bit of luck, but in the right spot

i try to do this play in nhl13 but its too hard lol. nice little play.

#25 TheRussianRocket96

TheRussianRocket96

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

Jake and the Calgary Hitmen are on WHL on Shaw tonight if you wanna get a peek at his play!

#26 TheRussianRocket96

TheRussianRocket96

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

Having a great game 2 assists a post and some big hits!

#27 TheRussianRocket96

TheRussianRocket96

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

Jake has continued his hot play since his return from the World u17 Challenge. 1G and 1A against Brandon tonight.

#28 Martin Frk

Martin Frk

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

Watched him play last night in P.A and hands down was easily one of the best players on the ice!
Posted Image
Cred to Lemons

#29 TheRussianRocket96

TheRussianRocket96

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:07 PM

Hey guys, been a while since Ive posted. Jake has been on fire of late on a line with Victor Rask and Brooks Macek and he is now up to 15 goals 16 assists on the season. Pretty solid for a 16 year old rookie, especially considering how slow of a start he got off to and the time he missed at the U17 challenge. Here are his 14th and 15th of the year, both beautiful goals.

#30 TheRussianRocket96

TheRussianRocket96

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 05:22 PM

Jake has been very effective so far in the playoffs but not putting up much points. Game 5 was a different story as he buried the 1-1 goal to start the turnaround for his team. Also threw a huge hit on a 6'3 20 year old defenceman. Shows he isnt afraid to throw his body around no matter who it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.