The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen

After watching some of the U17 Team Pacific camp this weekend in Kamloops I think anyone out there who is not already keeping an eye on Jake Virtanen should be. He purely outclasses the best BC and Alberta have to offer at his age group and showed why Calgary took him at #1 in last years WHL draft. I fully expect him to be a main contributor as a 16 year old this year for Calgary. He has unbelievable speed, an NHL calibre release in his shot and can absolutely steamroll players with hits. He is like a combination of Ovechkin/Malkin/Iginla. This kid is going to be an incredible hockey player.

It is a long time from now but as it stands he is definitely a contender for at least a top 3 pick. Here is a link to a video of him breaking through the whole Vancouver Giants team in an end to end rush last year. Keep in mind in the video he is playing as a 15 year old underage player! Incredible.

http://hitmenhockey.com/video/index/id/1325908522

fast forward to 40 seconds

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

He is 16 years old and in his first full year in the WHL, There are NHL players who I question their defensive awareness so give him a shot to develop that. As for his offence, his skill for his age is incredible. He has had unflattering numbers so far but still should put up 20 goals as a rookie, and that is with a ridiculous amount of line shuffling going on in Calgary. I watched their second game against Lethbridge this week and he was on a line with Greg Chase and Victor Rask and with some allowance to gain some chemistry I think that line may be lethal and we will see Virtanen shoot up in production and possibly put up 30 this year

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Team Pacific played their first game in the U17 World Challenge and the game was a beauty against Russia. 8-7 OT win in an all offence game. Jake scored a beauty goal getting by 2 russian players and sniping similar to his goal in Vancouver as a 15 year old.

Looking forward to continue watching this tournament as it goes on.

Archived