The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why was Cory Schneider never traded?

Zanon

He wasn't traded because that would have been stupid. His value has consistently skyrocketed the last couple years. I don't see how that's mismanagement... what is being suggested here, that we should have traded Schneider away back then when his value was way lower and gotten some mediocre player(s)/prospect(s) in return? :picard:

The only reason I joined this forum was to promote Cory Schneider. I knew in my heart that he would become our number one, and that Luongo had to move on. It seemed I was the lone wolf in the crowd, and was attacked incessantlly on my first post ( a topic...Tandem Goaltending)(just to ease all the Luongonites into a truce).

Anyways in answer to your question, it''s because Cory Schneider is an awesome Goalie and an even better person. Yes He's a keeper.

Yeah, so, instead, we're trading the guy that we can count on to be a Top 10 goalie in the league, in exchange for what will be "some mediocre player/prospect in return".

So tell me how exactly that's the smart thing to do, knowing that the guy we're going with is NOT entirely a proven NHL goaltender.

Lemme take you back a few years.

http://m.thehockeyne...ith-Luongo.html

Luongo signs with the Canucks for 12 years. I think we all thought he was here for life and Schneider was the one on his way out. So why did that never happen? Why was it that Mike Gillis kept Schneider around for as long as he has AFTER committing to Luongo? Why was Schneider never traded to improve our team after he re-signed Luongo to prevent a goalie controversy? I thought Lack was the future? At least, that is what everybody told me, so there was no room for Schneider.

Is Luongo being shopped moreso because he wants out or because Gillis now thinks Schneider is his goalie? *cough* mismanagement

you know Christian Ehrhoff only wanted like 300 grand a year more...to complete his 4 million a year for 10 years...

Oh no

Luongo

Schnieds

Ballard at 4.3

big time drop the ball Mike Gilles

sometimes it's easier just to make the easy pass...

just sayin.

Have you considered that there just wasn't good enough offers at the deadline? If MG had accepted a bad deal people would also have complained about how little return he fetched. MG has said there is no rush to trade Lou. IMO, it's actually a good thing to have him to have him here to start the season as a safety net (not that I believe Schneider needs one), to help springboard Schneider's start as our starter.

It is still possible someone gives us an offer we can't refuse with Schneider too, and Luongo stays here as our starter. Although very unlikely, I wouldn't be completely surprised, and still would be fine with Luongo here.

Schneider was always the one to be traded, up until the playoffs last season when AV went to Schneider over Luongo for 3 games. This was not because Luongo played badly, but because the team was disgusting in front of him and it seemed like an appropriate change in momentum.

Just because Schneider played well for 3 games doesn't mean he should suddenly be our starter. Luongo was our MVP all season long by far, no one else on the team really stepped up. Henrik was below a point-a-game for the first time in years, Kesler was brutal and our defence was giving up more odd-man rushes against than they had in the last 2 seasons but still Luongo put up yet another 30-win season. Then Schneider gets unfairly picked in the playoffs, wins 1 out of 3 games and is now our starter?

Fans and management need to look at the big picture and realize how good Luongo is and was for us last season. He is far from finished and Schneider is far from peaking.

Archived