Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* - - - - 4 votes

Why was Cory Schneider never traded?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
131 replies to this topic

#121 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:17 AM

Yeah...that's my point.

OK, so you're just whining about me whining about Gillis.

Instead, let's hear why this is the RIGHT decision.

#122 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,092 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:20 AM

What more do you want, besides consistency from your goaltender? Yes, he had a few very bad games in the playoffs. But so did the Sedin's, Kesler, everyone.

It's not easy to find someone with Lou's consistency. Schneider might not have it. We're trading the known for the unknown, on a team with a rapidly closing window. And the "known" is being moved at a time when his market value is at an all-time low. Not smart.

MG is also taking the opportunity to get himself out of a contract he shouldn't have signed and we just so happen to have a replacement so we don't have to jump through hoops to replace him, sometimes teams never do.

Since Lou has the NTC we can't play him until he is playing good and ask him to waive, that would be ridiculous and reflect very poorly on the organziation. Without this move we're likely without a top notch goalie in a couple years, what then?

When they decided the start Schnieder in the playoffs after game 2 I'm sure they must have weighed the pros and cons, what if we would have ended up winning that series, Lou would have been gone for sure then too?

It's unforuante that his perecieved value is low but those are circumstances that became beyond control. I guess from your answers you would have ridden Lou through the rest of that playoff or as it would have been in the coach's reality, thrown the series and traded Schnieder. I respect that opinion but I guess the organization did what it thought best. As pointed out either way it's a huge gamble, if they go with Lou they are saddled with the albatross contract, possible declining goalie, and giving away a superb young goalie all at the same time.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#123 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,887 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:21 AM

The "right" decision is to trade one of them....for a return of equal or greater value.

The "wrong" decision would be to dump one of them for lousy return, because we're halfway through the summer and a bunch of impatient Canuck fans have their knickers in a twist because nothing appears to be happening.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#124 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,092 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:21 PM

Do you honestly think that Mike Gillis signed Luongo to that contract with any other expectation that that of him being around for its durations, or, at least, until he retired? Hardy har har har.

Look, Gillis got greedy, and now he's caught with his pants down selling an expensive asset into a weak pool of buyers. That's the short story of this.

And EOTM, there's nothing to debate. Luongo's getting traded, not Schneider.

No, I think he signed him to remain here but you still don't purposely rush out and get rid of as an prospect/asset because you already have player in that postion. I understand you're mad that Luongo is on his way out but wouldn't you still rather have the asset of Schnieder for a trade right now as compared to the at best second rounder we would have got for him?

Edited by Dogbyte, 31 July 2012 - 12:23 PM.

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#125 King of the ES

King of the ES

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:37 PM

The "right" decision is to trade one of them....for a return of equal or greater value.

Good luck with that.

#126 5minutesinthebox

5minutesinthebox

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,683 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:00 PM

Schneider doesn't yet know what pressure is. The backup goalie is always the most popular guy in town, just like the backup QB usually is.

Lou admitted what he did because the Canucks are making a choice and going forward with Schneider. He's not a backup. He's getting the eff off of this train.

And I'm not saying that it's a bad decision, or that Luongo is better than Schneider, etc. I just don't understand trading a good asset when his value is rock-bottom. It makes no sense. Gillis screwed this one up.

Schnieder stepped in against the Kings and played lights out. You dont think there was pressure on him when he stepped into that role being down 2 games to none, taking over the role from the starter?

You keep saying that Luongos value is rock bottom, but thats just not the case. There has been interest Luongo, and lots of it. Do you really think just because he hasnt been traded that he has no value?

Think logically, Luongo has shown he can take a team and carry them, (albeit mostly in the reg season) but he can pick a team up and take them to the playoffs. Many teams out there are just looking for a way to get there, they are not even concerned about contending for a cup.

Luongo is better than 90% of the starters in the league right now, but that doesnt mean he should be our starter. Luongo wants out, he has admitted it openly. The only reason he hasnt been moved yet, is a) he can pick where he goes and nix any trade he doesnt like B) other teams not offering enough in return. This is typical negotiation tactics. Its a waiting game.

Will we get full value via trade, likely not, but that happens. I doubt people where offering enough for Schnieder either, and thats why he was never moved

#127 Honeydews

Honeydews

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:04 PM

Cause hes the man
Posted ImagePosted Image
Credit to pwnstar for this amazing kesler sig :)

#128 The Lock

The Lock

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:46 PM

Lemme take you back a few years.

http://m.thehockeyne...ith-Luongo.html

Luongo signs with the Canucks for 12 years. I think we all thought he was here for life and Schneider was the one on his way out. So why did that never happen? Why was it that Mike Gillis kept Schneider around for as long as he has AFTER committing to Luongo? Why was Schneider never traded to improve our team after he re-signed Luongo to prevent a goalie controversy? I thought Lack was the future? At least, that is what everybody told me, so there was no room for Schneider.

Is Luongo being shopped moreso because he wants out or because Gillis now thinks Schneider is his goalie? *cough* mismanagement

Just think, if Schneider was traded and became the goalie he's looking to become, you'd likely be after Gillis for trading him I bet. *cough* misfanbase...
This thread was really just a figment of your imagination...

#129 EmployeeoftheMonth

EmployeeoftheMonth

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,688 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:35 PM

Called it; :D
Posted Image
Posted Image

#130 NucksBruins

NucksBruins

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:01 PM

Just think, if Schneider was traded and became the goalie he's looking to become, you'd likely be after Gillis for trading him I bet. *cough* misfanbase...

Exactly. Let's say that Gillis had traded Schneider to Tampa three years ago and with him in net instead of Roloson, they get passed Boston in 2011 and then beat the Canucks in the finals. How many people would be screaming if that had happened? Schneider is a very good goaltender who is on his way up and Luongo is at a plateau. I am a huge Luongo fan, but I really believe in Schneider. Gillis appears to believe in him as well.
Posted Image

#131 TowelPower12

TowelPower12

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:17 PM

What exactly has Luongo proven other then being an excellent regular season goalie?

Ok with that logic what have the Sedins proven other than they are excellent regular season players? Should we trade them too then? Cause they completely disappeared in the finals with the rest of the team, combined for 5 points and a -12 in those 7 games.

Edited by TowelPower12, 31 July 2012 - 07:20 PM.

#132 Riviera82

Riviera82

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,700 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:37 AM

Ok with that logic what have the Sedins proven other than they are excellent regular season players? Should we trade them too then? Cause they completely disappeared in the finals with the rest of the team, combined for 5 points and a -12 in those 7 games.

The Sedins are key players but they are not playing the most important position on the team. Luongo has been playing that position and now we have a more than adequate replacement already a member of the Canucks. This is why we should trade Luongo.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.