The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why was Cory Schneider never traded?

Zanon

Schneider was always the one to be traded, up until the playoffs last season when AV went to Schneider over Luongo for 3 games. This was not because Luongo played badly, but because the team was disgusting in front of him and it seemed like an appropriate change in momentum.

Just because Schneider played well for 3 games doesn't mean he should suddenly be our starter. Luongo was our MVP all season long by far, no one else on the team really stepped up. Henrik was below a point-a-game for the first time in years, Kesler was brutal and our defence was giving up more odd-man rushes against than they had in the last 2 seasons but still Luongo put up yet another 30-win season. Then Schneider gets unfairly picked in the playoffs, wins 1 out of 3 games and is now our starter?

Fans and management need to look at the big picture and realize how good Luongo is and was for us last season. He is far from finished and Schneider is far from peaking.

Just because Schneider played well for 3 games doesn't mean he should suddenly be our starter. Luongo was our MVP all season long by far, no one else on the team really stepped up. Henrik was below a point-a-game for the first time in years, Kesler was brutal and our defence was giving up more odd-man rushes against than they had in the last 2 seasons but still Luongo put up yet another 30-win season. Then Schneider gets unfairly picked in the playoffs, wins 1 out of 3 games and is now our starter?

Fans and management need to look at the big picture and realize how good Luongo is and was for us last season. He is far from finished and Schneider is far from peaking.

BS. He was making serious waves in the AHL. He also had 1st round pedigree.

And fine, don't trade him in 2009-10. Why not 2010-11? You know, after his sensational rookie season in the NHL? Why not then? Or why not DURING? Or why not during, before, or after the 2011-12 campaign?

Totally, a wasted opportunity. We're trading the wrong guy.

Yeah, so, instead, we're trading the guy that we can count on to be a Top 10 goalie in the league, in exchange for what will be "some mediocre player/prospect in return".

So tell me how exactly that's the smart thing to do, knowing that the guy we're going with is NOT entirely a proven NHL goaltender.

Schneider is the future. Luongo is the past.

Schneider has a better positional game and better composure.

Luongo served Vancouver extremely well and should be remembered for helping this team and franchise to mature into a perennial contender.

To all the CDCers who flame players who don't quite fit their image of what a Canuck should be, please remember what this team used to be like. Oh and remember the Vancouver Grizzlies and the fiasco with that jackhole Steve Francis who refused to play here and demanded a trade.

Luongo gave the Canucks an excellent six years and loved the team. Yes he had periods when he threw his teammates under the bus. However he learned from those mistakes.

You see I haven't paid to see a game in years. So my appreciation of this team has no basis on an idea that they owe me something. They owe it to themselves to win the Cup.

BS. He was making serious waves in the AHL. He also had 1st round pedigree.

And fine, don't trade him in 2009-10. Why not 2010-11? You know, after his sensational rookie season in the NHL? Why not then? Or why not DURING? Or why not during, before, or after the 2011-12 campaign?

Totally, a wasted opportunity. We're trading the wrong guy.

Well, then wait until 2010. Or 2011. Or 2012.

There was PLENTY of time to make a move. Even in 2009, don't tell me that he couldn't have been traded for a similar asset from another team - IE, a late 1st round pick that someone else drafted. He was pretty hyped, even in the AHL. In the NHL, he played better than expected. That's why he should've been moved, probably at some point last summer - like the draft. Value was sky-high.

You do see that we're going to be getting practically nothing for Luongo, yes?

I think any time a team drafts a player, the development of the player is the utmost concern. Schneider was winning AHL Goalie of the Year awards and such, so his development was clearly on track. Why trade an appreciating asset before its real value has been established? In hindsight, thank God he wasn't traded. I've felt for a couple years now, that Schneider is the better goalie, and I was afraid that Gillis would trade him.

You can't compare the marketability of a 27 year-old C to a 32 year-old G.

Your second sentence lets me know that you're thinking of this from an emotional, "see what you want to see" standpoint, and not from a practical, likely one.

We won't get what Philly got for the reasons that I've already mentioned. The short answer is the market. It doesn't matter that he'll play a bigger role on his team than what Carter/Richards might. What matters is the price that people will be willing to pay, and, for a goalie, it ain't that much.

It's been said that Gillis initially accepted Schenn from Toronto, but then Luongo blocked it because he wants to go to Florida. This is another serious constraint working against us, the NTC.

OK, but that doesn't help us. If we keep Lou, we've got a serious distraction. A backup goalie that's earning more money than anyone else, who's publically asked for a trade. Think that'll be a distraction, at all?

Gillis screwed up, he's backed himself into a wall, and now (as Luongo stated), it's time to just move on. Get what you can, and let's hope that Schneider doesn't flop.

Agreed, a lot of stupid fans here. The goalie graveyard will always continue here.

Luongo has broken virtually every Canuck goalie record, has helped take this team to the Finals and even helped this country win an Olympic gold medal. Very disgusting how some fans here treat him.

Archived