The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Going overboard with the 2nd amendment

TowelPower12

Do or have you even lived in a place in the US where guns are /were banned? I have. While for the umpteenth time I concede to logic that there should be reasonable limits (watch as this goes ignored yet again for hilarious NRA comments from people with reading comprehension issues), this issue in practice plays out much like the abortion issue, where instead of reasonable limits such as partial birth bans, the pro -life lobby, who knows they can't just outright ban abortions, play the game of inches (ie : if you give a mouse a cookie) where they get bans on post -21 week abortions, or make sure only licensed doctors /physicians rather than anyone who can prescribe medication (read : planned parenthood) can issue abortion pills, or outlaw abortions without psychiatric evaluation or days of counselling prior, or ban minors from terminating pregnancy either outside their state / without 48 hours notice to parents / etc,.... basically going as far as they can go taking inch by inch if acceptance to abortion limitations until people finally concede to outright bans. This is what the gun control lobby is like. It would be nice to make registration tougher, prevent weapons that can mow crowds down in seconds from being acquired, but again the lobby that influences decisions for gun control cannot be trusted to keep it reasonable, so if the choice is one extreme or the other (which is all too common nowadays in American politics) , I side with rights and freedom first.

Do or have you even lived in a place in the US where guns are /were banned?  I have.  While for the umpteenth time I concede to logic that there should be reasonable limits (watch as this goes ignored yet again for hilarious NRA comments from people with reading comprehension issues),  this issue in practice plays out much like the abortion issue,  where instead of reasonable limits such as partial birth bans,  the pro -life lobby,  who knows they can't just outright ban abortions,  play the game of inches (ie : if you give a mouse a cookie) where they get bans on post -21 week abortions,  or make sure only licensed doctors /physicians rather than anyone who can prescribe medication (read : planned parenthood) can issue abortion pills,  or outlaw abortions without psychiatric evaluation or days of counselling prior,  or ban minors from terminating pregnancy either outside their state / without 48 hours notice to parents / etc,.... basically going as far as they can go taking inch by inch if acceptance to abortion limitations until people finally concede to outright bans. This is what the gun control lobby is like. It would be nice to make registration tougher,  prevent weapons that can mow crowds down in seconds from being acquired,  but again the lobby that influences decisions for gun control cannot be trusted to keep it reasonable,  so if the choice is one extreme or the other (which is all too common nowadays in American politics) ,  I side with rights and freedom first.

Do or have you even lived in a place in the US where guns are /were banned? I have. While for the umpteenth time I concede to logic that there should be reasonable limits (watch as this goes ignored yet again for hilarious NRA comments from people with reading comprehension issues), this issue in practice plays out much like the abortion issue, where instead of reasonable limits such as partial birth bans, the pro -life lobby, who knows they can't just outright ban abortions, play the game of inches (ie : if you give a mouse a cookie) where they get bans on post -21 week abortions, or make sure only licensed doctors /physicians rather than anyone who can prescribe medication (read : planned parenthood) can issue abortion pills, or outlaw abortions without psychiatric evaluation or days of counselling prior, or ban minors from terminating pregnancy either outside their state / without 48 hours notice to parents / etc,.... basically going as far as they can go taking inch by inch if acceptance to abortion limitations until people finally concede to outright bans. This is what the gun control lobby is like. It would be nice to make registration tougher, prevent weapons that can mow crowds down in seconds from being acquired, but again the lobby that influences decisions for gun control cannot be trusted to keep it reasonable, so if the choice is one extreme or the other (which is all too common nowadays in American politics) , I side with rights and freedom first.

You actually think the pro-gun lobby is any more trustworthy? This is a group that fights against any common sense restrictions, a group that fights to allow BLIND people to hunt with guns as long as there is a sighted person with them, that wants hunters to be able to buy armour piercing rounds (how many deer wear bullet proof vests?) that wants average Joe to be able to buy a 50 calibre rifle that can penetrate armour plating (like on armoured cars) and take down a helicopter. They are parasites who feed on paranoia with their own propaganda wing to create said paranoia. Why is it these two extremist minorities hold the majority (who probably want some middle ground like I do) hostage for their own self interest? One side is as bad as the other. Personally I'd rather live in a culture like the UK where even the police don't carry guns than one that is a ticking time bomb where everyone is armed to the teeth waiting for an excuse to use what they are packing.

Come on, you're hiding behind semantics. The gist of your argument was that the gun control lobby cannot be trusted to stop at reasonable levels and they would quit until a total ban was in place.

This is pure fantasy and the sort of weak argument that the NRA uses, hence the comparisons that you find so insulting.

As far as being a troll goes, I've been a member of this board for 8 years with zero suspensions and zero warnings. You're welcome to PM any mod for verification on that.

Just because I'm exposing your argument for the weak tripe that it is, does not mean that I'm trolling.

Come on, you're hiding behind semantics. The gist of your argument was that the gun control lobby cannot be trusted to stop at reasonable levels and they would not quit until a total ban was in place.

This is pure fantasy and the sort of weak argument that the NRA uses, hence the comparisons that you find so insulting.

As far as being a troll goes, I've been a member of this board for 8 years with zero suspensions and zero warnings. You're welcome to PM any mod for verification on that.

The gun control lobby has been writing legislation that certain jurisdictions have passed that ban guns in totality. If you wonder why I don't trust them, it's because I've lived in a town where the gun control lobby has went to that extreme. If that is pure fantasy to you, then be my guest and pretend it's fantasy. Some of us have been through gun bans and realize they don't work, and know where political influences come from, if that to you is NRA nonsense, welcome back to being considered a troll, you're not taking someone's argument seriously who has actually been through this before. Welcome to American politics.

Ah yes, the old "I've been there, so I know better than anyone" line. Your argunment is based on an assumption that nothing should be done, because it will inevitably lead to a complete ban on all guns.

Come to think about it, that does sound like American politics. It's right up there with Obama isn't an American and the American poor people don't need to worry because they have a social safety net.

Here's me trollin' again....

Archived