The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dear Canuck fans, please read from Panthers board

If Florida wants to make the playoffs next year and sustain their success (which is very important considering they've lost a lot of money and games in the last decade) they'll trade for Luongo. Caps will be looking to rebound after an off year, and the Canes and Bolts have both improved. Florida will be in tough just to make it, and I"d be willing to bet they won't win with a Theodore/Clemmenson tandem.

If they don't want him then that's great. Contrary to the media-driven spin that having both 1 and 35 come October will be a disaster for the team, we don't have to move him. We have cap space, and can afford to wait until some team wants to pay fair value for him.

If Florida wants to make the playoffs next year and sustain their success (which is very important considering they've lost a lot of money and games in the last decade) they'll trade for Luongo. Caps will be looking to rebound after an off year, and the Canes and Bolts have both improved. Florida will be in tough just to make it, and I"d be willing to bet they won't win with a Theodore/Clemmenson tandem.

If they don't want him then that's great. Contrary to the media-driven spin that having both 1 and 35 come October will be a disaster for the team, we don't have to move him. We have cap space, and can afford to wait until some team wants to pay fair value for him.

Do i really have to point out that Florida never ever made the playoff in the 5 seasons Luongo was their starter?

Do i have to point out that Florida had their best season in a decade with a Theodore/Clemmensen Tandem?

So what make you think that trading asset to acquire Luongo and dishing out Theodore/Clemmensen is the key for Florida to make the playoffs next year ?

As we know, Luongo simply by himself will not garner the return we need. Being realistic, the Canucks will have to add value to a deal for them to get the right return; this does not inherently devalue Luongo at all, it's just a pragmatic point of view.

To VAN:

Scottie Upshall

Scott Clemmensen

2nd Round Pick 2013

To FLA:

Roberto Luongo

Chris Tanev

Anton Rodin

5th Round Pick 2013

Upshall with his cap hit of 3.5 is above what he's been able to contribute, I look at his playing style and thought that it was always what the Canucks needed, and he has just had a hell of a bad run of luck with injury. He's physical, up tempo and gritty.

Clemmensen backs up Schneids until Lack is ready to make the jump.

Florida gets Luongo which instantly puts them in contention for the division title again, Chris Tanev while young would be a good fit on their blueline and Rodin has some promise, with LW being a bit of a sore point in their prospect depth.

Provided we don't win the Doan sweepstakes, this is how my line up would look provided everyone is healthy, after signing Kurtis Foster for the bottom pairing defense:

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Scottie Upshall ($3.500m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Mason Raymond ($2.275m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Chris Higgins ($1.900m)

Dale Weise ($0.615m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)

Keith Ballard ($4.200m) / Kurtis Foster ($2.000m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) /

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

Scott Clemmensen ($1.200m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,035,000; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $3,165,000

This allows us to account for raises to Higgins, Burrows, Lapierre and Edler next season, taking into account Raymond and Malhotra will probably be off the books (unless Raymond really impresses), would put us in a good spot to be able to dip into the free agent pool next summer.

I fully believe Kassian has the hands and hockey sense to be the playmaker that Kesler and Booth need. That would be one potentially dominating line. With Upshall-Lapierre-Hansen you get incredible speed, grit and goal scoring potential from a 3rd line. Raymond-Malhotra-Higgins on the 4th is insane depth and would allow fewer hard minutes being played by the top 2 lines. This line up is incredibly deep and I think provides a lot of balance. Everyone in that bottom 6 with the exception of maybe Malhotra and Lapierre can fill in the top 6 in the event of injury over an extended period of time.

As we know, Luongo simply by himself will not garner the return we need. Being realistic, the Canucks will have to add value to a deal for them to get the right return; this does not inherently devalue Luongo at all, it's just a pragmatic point of view.

To VAN:

Scottie Upshall

Scott Clemmensen

2nd Round Pick 2013

To FLA:

Roberto Luongo

Chris Tanev

Anton Rodin

5th Round Pick 2013

Upshall with his cap hit of 3.5 is above what he's been able to contribute, I look at his playing style and thought that it was always what the Canucks needed, and he has just had a hell of a bad run of luck with injury. He's physical, up tempo and gritty.

Florida gets Luongo which instantly puts them in contention for the division title again, Chris Tanev while young would be a good fit on their blueline and Rodin has some promise, with LW being a bit of a sore point in their prospect depth.

Provided we don't win the Doan sweepstakes, this is how my line up would look provided everyone is healthy, after signing Kurtis Foster for the bottom pairing defense:

Dale Weise ($0.615m) /

DEFENSEMEN

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

------

This allows us to account for raises to Higgins, Burrows, Lapierre and Edler next season, taking into account Raymond and Malhotra will probably be off the books (unless Raymond really impresses), would put us in a good spot to be able to dip into the free agent pool next summer.

I fully believe Kassian has the hands and hockey sense to be the playmaker that Kesler and Booth need. That would be one potentially dominating line. With Upshall-Lapierre-Hansen you get incredible speed, grit and goal scoring potential from a 3rd line. Raymond-Malhotra-Higgins on the 4th is insane depth and would allow fewer hard minutes being played by the top 2 lines. This line up is incredibly deep and I think provides a lot of balance. Everyone in that bottom 6 with the exception of maybe Malhotra and Lapierre can fill in the top 6 in the event of injury over an extended period of time.

To VAN:

Scottie Upshall

Scott Clemmensen

2nd Round Pick 2013

To FLA:

Roberto Luongo

Chris Tanev

Anton Rodin

5th Round Pick 2013

Dale Weise ($0.615m) /

DEFENSEMEN

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

------

Summer 2017 Florida could lose Markstrom to the UFA market and by 2018 Luongo actual Salary will drop to 3 382 000$ ( and then 1 000 000$) it will be a lot more affordable for a budget team like Florida.

So summer 2017 or 2018 could be the right timing for Florida to bring back Luongo.

What could be Luongo value then?

Summer 2017 Florida could lose Markstrom to the UFA market and by 2018 Luongo actual Salary will drop to 3 382 000$ ( and then 1 000 000$) it will be a lot more affordable for a budget team like Florida.

So summer 2017 or 2018 could be the right timing for Florida to bring back Luongo.

What could be Luongo value then?

To tell you the truth, I think most of them are actually right. I think Gillis is asking way too much for him. Florida made the playoffs last year with Theodore and they have Markstrom in development. It would be more wise for them to get the RW they need in Bobby Ryan than getting Luongo right now. If Florida feels they need improvement in net, they can easily wait out a year and sign a UFA goalie next season like Backstrom. It's not like they're going to be that much worse off than last year. Florida pretty much has all the leverage in this trade. They're in no rush to get Luongo.

As for the Canucks going into the reason with both goalies, yes it's good for us but seriously I'd rather have him gone and use that cap space to sign Doan.

I had been looking at the Florida roaster, and I find it very difficult to trade with them. I can't put any package together that make sense for both teams. The Canucks are pretty solid on all positions, and from what I can see not that many of the Florida players can help us. And those that can, Florida will not want to trade them away.

The only one I can come up with is Shawn Matthias+Keaton Ellerby+Alex Petrovic+Rasmus Bengtsson for Luongo. But that isn't that good of a trade for the Canucks.

So I am doubting that Luongo will actually go to Florida. There got to be better trading options out there.

Archived