The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Guillaume Desbiens with Vancouver

Good depth signing, Desbien seems to have dedicated his game to fighting more and had some good scraps with Calgary and Abby last year. Wont be a Mancari replacement because he was a legit AHL scorer who just cant seem to translate it the the NHL level. GD seems more like an Oreo replacement, who can play solid 4th line NHL minutes in case of injury to Weise.

Desbiens believes Canucks a huge opporunity:

Guillaume Desbiens knows he'll be flying under the radar at Canucks training camp if and when it takes place this September.

But putting aside for a moment the uncertainty surrounding current negotiations around a new collective bargaining agreement between players and owners, the 6-foo-2, 215-pound winger would like to show the Canucks they made the right move in bringing him back after he'd spent the past season in the Calgary Flames organization.

Desbien, 27, agreed to a one-year, two-way deal that pays him $600,000 in the NHL and $105,000 in the minors.

Realistically, the Alma, Que., native will be minor league injury insurance and play in Chicago for the AHL Wolves, but Desbiens is quietly confident he has a shot at making the NHL club if he has a strong training camp – as he did two seasons ago.

“It didn't take me long to say yes,” said Desbiens in an interview with The Province on Monday. “I liked my time in Vancouver and I'm familiar with Chicago because I played there two years when I was in the Atlanta organization. It's a good step for me.”

Grit and physical play earned Desbiens a surprise spot on the Canucks' opening-day roster at the start of the 2010-11 season, but in his 12th game he broke his pinky finger in a fight with the Avs' Cody McLeod in Colorado. After healing, he spent the rest of the season in the minors.

“I'm still a little bit sour about that,” said Desbiens. “You make a team out of training camp for the first time, you're in the NHL, playing every game. I don't know if I would have stayed there, even if I was healthy, but you'd like to think you would. It was disappointing to get hurt and when you're out for six weeks it's tough to come back and catch up with everybody.”

Desbiens is well familiar with the Canucks' fourth-line job offerings. The club has basically gone Ground Hog Day – bringing back injured wingers Aaron Volpatti and Steve Pinizzotto and re-signed Andrew Ebbett and Dale Weise to go along with incumbent Zack Kassian.

Desbiens believes there is an opportunity for him. With Ryan Kesler out with shoulder surgery and no obvious third-line centre, there should be some ripple effects. He knows he needs to show his physical side to get some attention. He had five fights in his 10 games with the Flames – including bouts with Matt Kassian, Jared Boll, Ryane Clowe and Paul Bissonnette.

“I know I'm a depth player and I don't think anybody expects me to make the team out of training camp and that's OK,” he said. “It was the same thing when I made the team out of training camp a couple of years ago. But I know what I can do and they know what to expect from me. If I have a good enough camp and I mix things up you never know what can happen. I looking to make everybody change their mind and keep me on the team.”

If that doesn't work out there's always Chicago, where Desbiens played when he was in the Atlanta organization. And there's minor league coach Scott Arniel, who coached him in Manitoba.

“He coached me before in Winnipeg and I have a really good relationship with him,” said Desbiens. “Signing with Vancouver had a lot to do with him being there. If I deserve a call-up I know he'll push for me. I'll work really hard to get there.”

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Desbiens+believes+Canucks+huge+opporunity/7013227/story.html

Desbiens believes Canucks a huge opporunity:

Guillaume Desbiens knows he'll be flying under the radar at Canucks training camp if and when it takes place this September.

But putting aside for a moment the uncertainty surrounding current negotiations around a new collective bargaining agreement between players and owners, the 6-foo-2, 215-pound winger would like to show the Canucks they made the right move in bringing him back after he'd spent the past season in the Calgary Flames organization.

Desbien, 27, agreed to a one-year, two-way deal that pays him $600,000 in the NHL and $105,000 in the minors.

Realistically, the Alma, Que., native will be minor league injury insurance and play in Chicago for the AHL Wolves, but Desbiens is quietly confident he has a shot at making the NHL club if he has a strong training camp – as he did two seasons ago.

“It didn't take me long to say yes,” said Desbiens in an interview with The Province on Monday. “I liked my time in Vancouver and I'm familiar with Chicago because I played there two years when I was in the Atlanta organization. It's a good step for me.”

Grit and physical play earned Desbiens a surprise spot on the Canucks' opening-day roster at the start of the 2010-11 season, but in his 12th game he broke his pinky finger in a fight with the Avs' Cody McLeod in Colorado. After healing, he spent the rest of the season in the minors.

“I'm still a little bit sour about that,” said Desbiens. “You make a team out of training camp for the first time, you're in the NHL, playing every game. I don't know if I would have stayed there, even if I was healthy, but you'd like to think you would. It was disappointing to get hurt and when you're out for six weeks it's tough to come back and catch up with everybody.”

Desbiens is well familiar with the Canucks' fourth-line job offerings. The club has basically gone Ground Hog Day – bringing back injured wingers Aaron Volpatti and Steve Pinizzotto and re-signed Andrew Ebbett and Dale Weise to go along with incumbent Zack Kassian.

Desbiens believes there is an opportunity for him. With Ryan Kesler out with shoulder surgery and no obvious third-line centre, there should be some ripple effects. He knows he needs to show his physical side to get some attention. He had five fights in his 10 games with the Flames – including bouts with Matt Kassian, Jared Boll, Ryane Clowe and Paul Bissonnette.

“I know I'm a depth player and I don't think anybody expects me to make the team out of training camp and that's OK,” he said. “It was the same thing when I made the team out of training camp a couple of years ago. But I know what I can do and they know what to expect from me. If I have a good enough camp and I mix things up you never know what can happen. I looking to make everybody change their mind and keep me on the team.”

If that doesn't work out there's always Chicago, where Desbiens played when he was in the Atlanta organization. And there's minor league coach Scott Arniel, who coached him in Manitoba.

“He coached me before in Winnipeg and I have a really good relationship with him,” said Desbiens. “Signing with Vancouver had a lot to do with him being there. If I deserve a call-up I know he'll push for me. I'll work really hard to get there.”

http://www.theprovin...3227/story.html

soooo poo

i had high hopes during his first go around....another 4th line guy that seems reluctant to throw the body.

good call by TOny G.....he said the canucks 4th line hasn't really improved since the days of rypien and hordichuck....the next step might be recycling bolduc and desbiens......when i heard that i was scared...and now it has come true...

By memory everyone was surprised when he unsurped Oreskevich to win a roster spot two years ago. And he did it by brining energy and playing the role he was asked.

Plus he's a centre, cant hurt to have more... I don't mind, especially as he commented positively on both earning a role and being excited if he is playing for Arniel.

I still want Bitz re-signed, unless people expect Jensen and Kassian to make the team? :rolleyes:

Archived