The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Rangers interested in acquiring Joe Thornton

People should keep in mind rangers have nearly their entire team as UFA's in the next 2 years, if their smart they save that cap space.

Cant see this happening especially after the heated words between thorton and torts. Del zotto still needs to be resigned right now, then next year Mcdonagh, stepan, hagelin, are RFA's and will want a raise. They need all the cap space they can get.

How? It's quite simple. It's called smart cap management. Something MG should learn. One look at capgeek will tell you that Keith Ballard, yes our Keith Ballard gets paid more than any member of the NYR defence. Quite sad when you look at some of the names on that New York defence includes all stars Dan Girardi and Marc Staal. Need another example? They spend 1.2 million dollars less on their goaltending than we do. And lets face it, I rather have Lundqvist on his own than both Luongo and Schnieder. And I don't remember the exact numbers but the 3 they traded for Nash had roughly the same salary as Nash so that didn't affect their cap situation in any way.

Why would they want Thornton, they already have a 1st line center in Brad Richards. They don't even have the assets to acquire Thornton. If I was the Sharks gm i'd ask for Boyle + Mcdonagh +

How? It's quite simple. It's called smart cap management. Something MG should learn. One look at capgeek will tell you that Keith Ballard, yes our Keith Ballard gets paid more than any member of the NYR defence. Quite sad when you look at some of the names on that New York defence includes all stars Dan Girardi and Marc Staal. Need another example? They spend 1.2 million dollars less on their goaltending than we do. And lets face it, I rather have Lundqvist on his own than both Luongo and Schnieder. And I don't remember the exact numbers but the 3 they traded for Nash had roughly the same salary as Nash so that didn't affect their cap situation in any way.

Lols,

Girardi was signed before he turned beast mode. Same with Staal, who signed as a very young D man and now that he's closer to his potential he is a good value too. He makes essentially the same as Ballard.

Dont you remember 2-3 seasons ago when the new york defense was one of the worst in the league? Then what? Del Zotto stepped up this year in a big rebound, McDunnaugh made a HUGE jump forward, Stralman became much more reliable while always being a good passer, Staal is staal and Girardi's work ethic paid off with him now being a top puck-moving defensive defenseman in the league.

Edler is only 3.25million, oh no what a steal.

Burrows is only 2million, Signed by Gillis.

Luongo's contract was as smartly done as possible to reduce the cap hit.

Gillis totally has no idea how to manage the cap.

Yeah, who the hell would want two first line centers playing on the same team?

Malkin/Crosby Yzerman/Fedorov Sakic/Forsberg

And NYRs most certainly have the assets to acquire Thornton. Whether or not they'd want to give up those assets is a different issue.

Archived