The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hindsight: Cody and Kesler would have been the second line

jonnycanuck46

Yes, another Cody thread.

but all I hear is how Kes and cody would have had to fight for the position of 2c. Well, why would they have to fight? Cody and Kes could have spelled each other off as Cody is an excellent passer and has great hands. He would have been perfect with Kes.

The 2nd line could have been Booth- Kesler- Cody ; Higgins-Cody-Kesler ; Booth- Cody- Kesler, etc, etc ,etc..

So what I'm asking what was Gillis planning on to replace the 2nd line playmaker? I thought MG was smarter than this. Now we MUST sign doan, or the 2nd line will be a mess of fill-ins and snipers. No playmakers outside of Henrik in the top 6!!!

Please dont flame, this is a serious inquiry as to what MG thought would go down or what he thought would happen when he traded Coho.

Yes, another Cody thread.

but all I hear is how Kes and cody would have had to fight for the position of 2c. Well, why would they have to fight? Cody and Kes could have spelled each other off as Cody is an excellent passer and has great hands. He would have been perfect with Kes.

The 2nd line could have been Booth- Kesler- Cody ; Higgins-Cody-Kesler ; Booth- Cody- Kesler, etc, etc ,etc..

So what I'm asking what was Gillis planning on to replace the 2nd line playmaker? I thought MG was smarter than this. Now we MUST sign doan, or the 2nd line will be a mess of fill-ins and snipers. No playmakers outside of Henrik in the top 6!!!

Please dont flame, this is a serious inquiry as to what MG thought would go down or what he thought would happen when he traded Coho.

MG felt it was right to give up 2nd line skill for a bruising power forward that we seriously lack. Whether or not he was right will be hard to tell unless we fast forward a few years. Guys like Kassian are hard to come by and for the people complaining about the timing of the trade, maybe Kassian wouldn't of been available during the off-season. With skilled players like Schroeder and Jensen in the system, he thinks Cody could be replaced in the near future, and toughness has been a huge issue on this team if we want to take out the elite Stanley Cup contenders, we need that.

Moving someone who has played center most of their career is a bad idea. Look at what happened when we had Pahlsson and Malhotra both out for a defensive draw, both were lost in their assignments which led to a goal and almost another goal in the LA series.

MG felt it was right to give up 2nd line skill for a bruising power forward that we seriously lack. Whether or not he was right will be hard to tell unless we fast forward a few years. Guys like Kassian are hard to come by and for the people complaining about the timing of the trade, maybe Kassian wouldn't of been available during the off-season. With skilled players like Schroeder and Jensen in the system, he thinks Cody could be replaced in the near future, and toughness has been a huge issue on this team if we want to take out the elite Stanley Cup contenders, we need that.

I completely agree. Cody would have been our 2nd line centre.

Kesler's style is not only suited for centre, but for the wing as well (he's got great speed, great shot).

Now we have all these questions about "who is going to be our playmaker for Kesler and Booth on the 2nd line?"

:rolleyes:

Cody's gone, let's move on.

“You can spend minutes, hours, days, weeks, or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened... or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f on.”

― Tupac Shakur

Cody didnt want to be here.

Im sure those options would have been tried if he wanted to stay but he didnt, MG cant be faulted.

As for Doan, I think if we got him he would play with the Sedins, Burrows is great but that line did struggle at times last year, plus it would be nice to have two good options for that line, then put Burr with Kes.

Cody was a diva towards canucks management. The deal had to be done. I see great potential in kassian. I'm hoping in two years Kassian becomes the lucic we want him to be. Then 99% of the ignorant canucks fans who complained will have forgotten and jumped on the vanwagon

Archived