The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hindsight: Cody and Kesler would have been the second line

jonnycanuck46

Yes, another Cody thread.

but all I hear is how Kes and cody would have had to fight for the position of 2c. Well, why would they have to fight? Cody and Kes could have spelled each other off as Cody is an excellent passer and has great hands. He would have been perfect with Kes.

The 2nd line could have been Booth- Kesler- Cody ; Higgins-Cody-Kesler ; Booth- Cody- Kesler, etc, etc ,etc..

So what I'm asking what was Gillis planning on to replace the 2nd line playmaker? I thought MG was smarter than this. Now we MUST sign doan, or the 2nd line will be a mess of fill-ins and snipers. No playmakers outside of Henrik in the top 6!!!

Please dont flame, this is a serious inquiry as to what MG thought would go down or what he thought would happen when he traded Coho.

I'll have to disagree with you on that one.  Hodgson is a good 2 years ahead in his development compared to Kassian, that doesn't make Kassian a dud its just where things stand now.  I think Hodgson would have been ideal for the 2nd line, but if he truly wanted out Gillis should have waited for a better deal.  Heck, Hodgson could have been included in a deal with Luongo and it would have been a win/win.

Im pretty sure Gillis knew the pieces that he traded. This is a competitive team in a competitive league. We can't keep every single player that has potential and its stupid to look in hindsight at a trade that will take around 5 years to determine the winner of.

Although Doan is a class act and brings so many intangibles to the table he is still not known for his spectacular play making. He's a grinding power forward similar to booth. Im not sure why you think he is the playmaking saviour for our second line

Tupac was a gangster; you realize he's probably talking about shooting the SOB on the floor, rather than mulling over it?

By that logic, we could have shot Gillis for having made such a dumb move. But look at all the rest of the love and good work MG's done for us?

:bigblush::lol:

:rolleyes:

Cody's gone, let's move on.

"You can spend minutes, hours, days, weeks, or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened... or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the f on."

― Tupac Shakur

Tupac was a gangster; you realize he's probably talking about shooting the SOB on the floor, rather than mulling over it?

By that logic, we could have shot Gillis for having made such a dumb move. But look at all the rest of the love and good work MG's done for us?

:bigblush::lol:

Cody was playing what they called protected minutes. He wasn't against the other team's top players. When he went to Buffalo and played more minutes, he was a -7 with 3 goals and 8 points in 20 games. http://www.sportsnet...Hodgson/by_game The stats don't lie. There is no reason at this point to doubt that the Canucks were protecting Cody on the third line with when he played and against who. There is no guarantee he'll even be a second line center for the Sabres in the 12-13 season either.

But isn't the argument from Cody fans that he played well despite not playing with good linemates with the Canucks? When a Canucks has poor numbers, people on CDC want them gone. If he was second line, odds are he was with Stafford and either Leino or Marcus Foligno down the stretch. That's better than the wingers he had in Vancouver.

My point is, those numbers match with what Gillis claimed was being done with Cody, that his ice time was protected ice time.

Cody was playing what they called protected minutes. He wasn't against the other team's top players. When he went to Buffalo and played more minutes, he was a -7 with 3 goals and 8 points in 20 games. http://www.sportsnet...Hodgson/by_game The stats don't lie. There is no reason at this point to doubt that the Canucks were protecting Cody on the third line with when he played and against who. There is no guarantee he'll even be a second line center for the Sabres in the 12-13 season either.

Can we just stop the Hodgson threads already. It was never going to work for so many reason's. Let's look at the direction the canucks are going now with trying to draft larger players the last couple seasons, Cody doesn't fit that mold. The canucks Have Henrik and Kesler for at least the next 3 - 4 season's and have already drafted Guance aswell. Im sure a skilled center will be either drafted or aquired in the Luongo deal either way. As skilled as Cody is, I don't see him matching up against other theams top end centers anyway. He will always be a second to third line center who can play power play minutes and that's it. I'm sure daddy is already working out his next trade because he will be stuck behind grigorenko now, sheesh.

I for one really like Kassian because he is exactly what the canucks need, A powerful, big, skilled, good skating, power forward. Let the kid develop before righting him off already. He is already proven himself in the AHL, so let him work his way up through the Canucks line up.

Im starting to get real sick and tired of the whole Cody trade BS. What do you people think he was really worth, really? I for one think the Canucks got max value in return for Hodgson.

Archived