Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * - - - 8 votes

Hindsight: Cody and Kesler would have been the second line

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
87 replies to this topic

#61 Rounoush

Rounoush

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:19 PM

Get. Over. It.

2dgqi51.jpgfcvifc.jpg
Thanks a bunch to khalifawiz501 and Discord for the signatures.

#62 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,715 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:19 PM

Ah, yes, hindsight.

Of course I would've loved to see how Cody could do as the offensive 2nd line center to support Hank but the team IS set with keeping Kes up the middle, and Cody isn't good on the wing so that's out of the equation.

FACT is Cody wanted out because he couldn't get 2nd line center time. IF MG had made his mind up differently then this discussion still has value. Sadly... Kes as a sniping winger on the 2nd could've been very strong though if they worked well.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#63 Tragoedia

Tragoedia

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:52 PM

I'll have to disagree with you on that one. Hodgson is a good 2 years ahead in his development compared to Kassian, that doesn't make Kassian a dud its just where things stand now. I think Hodgson would have been ideal for the 2nd line, but if he truly wanted out Gillis should have waited for a better deal. Heck, Hodgson could have been included in a deal with Luongo and it would have been a win/win.

That's why I said that he hasn't earned it yet, and possibly won't make the second line in the near future. I was more pointing out that he Hodgson hadn't proved he would succeed on the second line. Some people think he would immediately would find chemistry and fit in and succeed on the second line if only AV gave him minutes. But I'm one of the people who think part of Hodgson's success is because of his minutes he was given. Given harder minutes, he probably would struggle with harder competition. Especially since the second line is such a hard checking line. So, at least in my opinion, Kassian has the same chance to step up in his development this season and maybe earn a spot.

#64 RonnieColeman

RonnieColeman

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:11 PM

What if we split up the sedins to give kesler more of a playmaker and distribute some talent?

Booth - H Sedin - Burrows/Doan?
D Sedin - Kesler - Kassian

Edited by RonnieColeman, 30 July 2012 - 11:12 PM.

#65 oldnews

oldnews

Declining Grinder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,135 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:21 PM

screw it. forget the play-maker/dramatist.
the second line doesn't need a playmaker.
give em a haymaker instead.
Booth Kesler Doan

BOOM!

#66 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,149 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:56 PM

Yep,agree with old news.

Kesler needs an equal or better to elevate his game.

Doan would do it and he could fill in on the first line when the Sedin's are getting manhandled.

#67 Joel Heyman

Joel Heyman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,674 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:00 AM

off-seasons not over.. and who's to say hodgson and kesler would have any chemistry?

I remember CoHo having chemistry with pretty much every player he played with for more than a game.

i44w87.jpgryanroyazzopardi+rolled+a+random+image+p
Blue Team

#68 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,736 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:36 AM

As much as I argued that I did not want to see Lecavalier (and his contract) as the haul for Lou; I have to admit that line up looks pretty smashing!

Even without Doan (who we would be challenged seriously to fit over and above Vinny).

I would love this, every line has a great blend of SIZE, skill, speed and grit, and can be mixed up in so many different ways, all lines can pitch in offensively, and kesler gets to ease back into things as a 3rd line C then be ready to go for the playoffs

#69 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,736 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:41 AM

How about;

Danny/Kess/Doan Danny can be the play maker and puck possession guy with two smash mouth snipers!
Burrows/Hank/Booth Wow, lots of speed, plus Booth a big body would score 35 easy with Hank...

Hmmmm

#70 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:00 AM

Im not sure if Doan is worth $7.5 million a year...

#71 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,904 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:08 AM

Yes, another Cody thread.

but all I hear is how Kes and cody would have had to fight for the position of 2c. Well, why would they have to fight? Cody and Kes could have spelled each other off as Cody is an excellent passer and has great hands. He would have been perfect with Kes.

The 2nd line could have been Booth- Kesler- Cody ; Higgins-Cody-Kesler ; Booth- Cody- Kesler, etc, etc ,etc..

So what I'm asking what was Gillis planning on to replace the 2nd line playmaker? I thought MG was smarter than this. Now we MUST sign doan, or the 2nd line will be a mess of fill-ins and snipers. No playmakers outside of Henrik in the top 6!!!

Please dont flame, this is a serious inquiry as to what MG thought would go down or what he thought would happen when he traded Coho.

Who was the playmaker when the line was Raymond/Kesler/Samuelsson when they all had a career year two years ago? The answer is none of them. They were all shoot first players but they still moved the puck between them. The biggest problem this past season was if Booth got the puck he'd try to power his way to the net. More often than not getting poke checked and turning over the puck. When Kesler got the puck he'd try to split the defense. More often than not getting poke ckecked and turning over the puck. The real problem was playing as individuals instead of playing as a line. If they play as a line they can all be shoot first and still be successful.

It's time to get over Cody. He's gone and not coming back. I'm not so sure his "Me" attitude would be great for the team either.

MentalMidgetSig.jpg

#72 Kassian's Tooth

Kassian's Tooth

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:00 AM

Best centre in the league? More like severely overrated by CDC.

Frank Selke called said to get you to call him when Cody's mom ready to pick up his trophy or shut up. 41 goals also called to say stop trolling bro!!

#73 Vancity_77

Vancity_77

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:00 AM

IMO Booth and Kesler together is terrible, neither one of them likes to pass they are both shoot first so unless Doan wants a season of just assists why would he play here if 2nd line was his option. Plus Kes was a giant goof last year why would anyone want to play with him PERIOD.
We are our own worst enemy!

#74 Hedman

Hedman

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:53 AM

I always thought that they should have at least tried Hodgson with Kesler. But it is what it is i guess.

#75 keslerian one

keslerian one

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:00 AM

but all I hear is how Kes and cody would have had to fight for the position of 2c. Well, why would they have to fight? Cody and Kes could have spelled each other off as Cody is an excellent passer and has great hands. He would have been perfect with Kes.

The 2nd line could have been Booth- Kesler- Cody ; Higgins-Cody-Kesler ; Booth- Cody- Kesler, etc, etc ,etc..

So what I'm asking what was Gillis planning on to replace the 2nd line playmaker? I thought MG was smarter than this. Now we MUST sign doan, or the 2nd line will be a mess of fill-ins and snipers. No playmakers outside of Henrik in the top 6!!!

Please dont flame, this is a serious inquiry as to what MG thought would go down or what he thought would happen when he traded Coho.

Cody was and is a great player, but one thing that he was not very good at, at least when he was with the Moose and the Canucks, was that he was not as defensively reliable and didn't compete in the defensive end. He wasn't very good playing without the puck either. This was why AV had to play him very sheltered minutes.

Kesler's line is valuable to this team because of the two-way game Kesler plays and the amount of ice he covers every shift. You just can't have that with Hodgson, or at least couldn't when he was with us. I don't know if he will develop that part of the game at least, but in Buffalo, it seemed like he wasn't doing much of that either.

Just because someone's a "passer" and someone is a "shooter", doesn't mean they're a match made in heaven. While Hodgson would've been a nice substitute while Kesler is out, I know Kesler is much better as a centre and he wants it too. I think AV decided that you should build a line where your Selke winner feels the most comfortable.

And lastly, just because you preface the entry with "Yes, another Hodgson thread" doesn't mean that it somehow alleviates the fact that it's ludicrous to talk about a rookie who left the organization last season and that this was a topic beaten to death over and over and over and over.

Why don't we talk about how Kassian will be a great or maybe not so great fit as Kesler's winger?

#76 Garrett-6

Garrett-6

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:01 AM

he was traded for a reason, Gillis already admitted that cody wanted out
Posted Image

#77 nucklehead2

nucklehead2

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:20 AM

ahhhh what could have beeen

#78 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:33 AM

Coulda woulda shoulda. Cody Hodgson is not on the team, please stop.

Secondly, Kesler will be ready for the start of the season most likely.

/thread.
Posted Image

#79 canIcrytoo

canIcrytoo

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:39 AM

Posted Image
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you

Posted Image

#80 jonnycanuck46

jonnycanuck46

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:43 PM

^Us losing our prodigy is hardly a glass of spilled milk
Posted Image

Ephesians 2:7-9

"That in the ages to come he might show the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."

#81 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:59 PM

ya, doesn't make sense. up and coming young player who cracks the line-up... they aren't usually traded.

he asked to be traded, only answer.

#82 FrenchKiss

FrenchKiss

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:26 PM

and its stupid to look in hindsight at a trade that will take around 5 years to determine the winner of.

as soon as Gillis said he wanted to trade for win now, we know now that we were not the winners since we lost our secondary scoring at the second of cody left the team and we lost in first round.

Edited by FrenchKiss, 31 July 2012 - 02:28 PM.

Posted Image

#83 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,736 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:49 PM

Don't you mean that he admitted he was covering his tail in a storm of criticism?

He did say the trade was about scoring a body that made us play off ready?
Then he regressed to say that it was really about the "future," as guys like Kassian don't come available to often.
Then he went completely backwards and suggested he had no choice because Cody was a whiner.

he was traded for a reason, Gillis already admitted that cody wanted out

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 31 July 2012 - 04:50 PM.

#84 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,261 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:51 PM

as soon as Gillis said he wanted to trade for win now, we know now that we were not the winners since we lost our secondary scoring at the second of cody left the team and we lost in first round.

You mean the "secondary scoring" which had dried up even more so than the primary scoring?

Don't you mean that he admitted he was covering his tail in a storm of criticism?

He did say the trade was about scoring a body that made us play off ready?
Then he regressed to say that it was really about the "future," as guys like Kassian don't come available to often.
Then he went completely backwards and suggested he had no choice because Cody was a whiner.

Yeah, he said those things. I guess he lied. I'll fire his butt when I get back to the office.

Let's assume that Gillis decided to stand up and say, "Yeah, I got rid of Hodgson because he was a pain in the butt, and I wanted him gone ASAP, and I got a guy who wasn't as ready as we hoped for playing right now. I'm so darn sorry about this. Please forgive me." as some folks seem to feel he should do. Then what? Does Vancouver get a do-over on the trade? Do we get to replay the first round of the playoffs? Do people get to run around saying, "I told you so"? Maybe they get a t-shirt which says, "I called out MG on that terrible Coho trade!", and everyone who sees anyone wearing it will be impressed. Other than venting, what do you guys get from all of this concern?

There are those who believe that Hodgson was going to make *THE* difference in the SC run from last year. I believe that Hodgson might have scored a few goals in last years playoffs, but he was most certainly not going to be the reason that Vancouver could have gotten past the Kings. At the time of the trade he was inexperienced (yes, so was everyone else at some point. I'm merely stating a fact), he was soft, he is small (compared to the guys he was going to be facing), his defence was not always reliable, and his face-off ability was lacking. I don't see him correcting these negatives in time for the playoffs.

I didn't believe the trade was that bad at the time, and as the months have gone by I'm thinking it's going to work out very well for the Canucks.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#85 LeanBeef

LeanBeef

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,334 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:28 AM

You knw what would be a great five man unit?

Grabner-Hodgson-Kassian
Ballard-O'Brien

Powerforward-Kassian (Bertuzzi)
Sniper-Grabner (Naslund)
Playmaker-Hodgson (Morrison)

2-way mobile defenseman-Ballard
Physical defensive dman-O'Brien

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Higgins-Kesler-Booth
Grabner-Hodgson-Kassian
Malhotra-Lapierre-Hansen

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Edler-Garrison
Ballard-O'Brien

... Oh wait

Sig too big.
"Being a Canuck fan, maybe sometime down the road be a Vancouver Canuck.... that would conquer all my dreams"
-Milan Lucic

#86 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,904 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:43 PM

You knw what would be a great five man unit?

Grabner-Hodgson-Kassian
Ballard-O'Brien

They'd get lit up by the opposition. You'd need both Lou and Schieds in the net. :lol:

MentalMidgetSig.jpg

#87 fwybwed

fwybwed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:32 PM

Nope sorry DISAGREE~! Kelser been prone to injury and most likely missing the beginning of this seaason AGAIN...and starting as a "try hard" again to get back into the game before he is even 100% AGAIN, will most likely cause him to be a lack luster player and pouty baby like last season and therefore put on the fourth line as Hodge woulda bin on the 2nd or 3rd line with others.

BOOM~!

#88 coolcat13

coolcat13

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:38 PM

Not really a hindsight.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.