The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Embarrassing: Military now being used to fill empty seats at London Olympics

key2thecup

Most of the empty seats at Canucks game are people eating at the restaurant at Rogers Arena. Granted those people are idiots, and a**holes, but those seats are still sold. Do you have a social life at all? All you do is troll. So sad. If you join eHarmony I'll pay for your account. It is too sad watching you on this site.

11k of trolling posts. Sooo sad. You have my sympathy.

No, for the following reasons:

1) The debts from the Olympics are miniscule compared to those countries' total debts, to the point of being virtually insignificant.

2) Many of the largest Olympic costs, such as construction, security, and organization (people working the events etc.) are recirculated within the country because it's that country's own citizens who are profiting from all those extra jobs. So the money spent does not count as a complete loss. A bunch of it even comes back right away as income tax, but of course that doesn't count as Olympic "profit."

3) A huge amount of the true profits generated by the Olympics are not counted in the bottom line. They count money for ticket sales, TV contracts, etc. But what about the millions spent by tourists on hotels, restaurants, bars, museums, flying with the host country's airlines, etc. etc.? That money is all injected into the host countries.

3) Who knows what value those cities have added to their GDP since then in terms of increasead tourism and improved infrastructure?

The true costs and benefits of Olympic games are almost impossible to measure, and I think most people do quite a bad job of taking everything into account. I do believe that they can help a city economically. For instance I really think that Vancouver escaped much of the financial turmoil of '08 because the construction industry was booming as we prepared for the Olympics.

Douchey? Incredibly biased? Biased towards what? How is my view any more biased than your view of 'Olympics are great'? Doesn't sound like you have any actual argument, so you're resorting to personal attacks and emotional reasoning. Reminiscient of how the religious folk argue against your points against religion.

So tell me, what do the modern day olympics stand for? I think they stand for entertaining the rich while costing cities hundreds of millions of dollars that they can't afford.

"The only good parts of the olympics are when professional athletes are involved, the rest is just crappy unsustainable sports that no one cares about the other 206 weeks that cost the host cities hundreds of millions of dollars the taxpayers will eventually have to foot."

"Ohhh the glory of winning a ski-dancing medal, or a kayaking medal, or a curling medal, or a horse jumping medal... what a terrible thing to disrespect. These kids don't have the luxury that the pros do because they chose to get good at a sport that no one is willing to pay to watch outside of the olympics."

Now, hear this....because this is the absolute last I am going to address you on this subject. Your ORIGINAL statement was laced with an overt bias towards the Olympics only being "good" when the professional athletes compete". It doesn't take much to figure out that you more than likely are not old enough to remember pre-1988 Olympics when there were no professionals even allowed to compete. The second part which I found insensitive at the very least was when you, in all your infinite wisdom on the entire subject, proclaimed that "these kids (the amateur athletes) don't have the luxury of having a paid career to fall back on like the professionals do because "they chose to become good at a sport that no one is willing to pay to watch outside of the Olympics". For years upon years before the 1988 Summer and Winter Olympics in Seoul and Calgary respectively, the dream of Olympic gold in their respective fields of competition was the absolute crowning achievement for the amateur athletes of the world. I remember growing up as a kid even at the age of one after the 1984 Games in Los Angeles seeing the amateur athletes who were not even known outside their own households at the time getting their pictures on Wheaties boxes...etc. Their one moment in the sun...when they could feel as if they'd accomplished something great. I found it in poor taste when just because you didn't find their competitive spirit and tireless drive, regardless of sport,.....important...you had to put them down because for some reason you think that anything people don't pay to see outside of the Olympics is relevant. You ask me what I think the Olympics stand for? All you need to do is take a look at the Paralympics or Special Olympics for my answer to that.

Most of the empty seats at Canucks game are people eating at the restaurant at Rogers Arena. Granted those people are idiots, and a**holes, but those seats are still sold. Do you have a social life at all? All you do is troll. So sad. If you join eHarmony I'll pay for your account. It is too sad watching you on this site.

11k of trolling posts. Sooo sad. You have my sympathy.

So the Olympics used to be good? I'll grant you that, they were more interesting back when they were the only game in town and global political events made them more about politics than sport (LA 1984). Its great that you have nice memories of the Olympics and how relevant they once were, but now they're just a corporate cash grab run by corrupt bureacrats. The best part of the last Olympics was the mens hockey, and the best part of this olympics is the tennis and mens basketball - and they're all professionals.

You seem really offended and protective of the Olympics, is one of your relatives a former or current Olympian?

Archived