Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Peter Jackson confirms third Hobbit movie

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
117 replies to this topic

#91 Bilbro Baggins

Bilbro Baggins

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:34 PM

I agree with everything this guy says about it.

Posted Image

#92 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:28 PM

I really liked John Carter. I thought it was a shame it did so poorly at the box office and reviews.

What?! It was sooooooo terrible though. The acting was atrocious, and the storyline was the equivalent of impatiently skimming through the center of the page. The story itself is great. The premise is genius. The movie was an awful misrepresentation of a cult classic.
I am not surprised at all that it did so poorly.
What I can't understand is that Disney didn't step in after $100M was spent and say,"Guys, you are wasting our money, time, and chance at doing justice to an awesome story."

I saw that tripe at the dollar theater and it was so bad if I hadn't been brought there by a friend I would have walked out halfway through.

That is how I felt. I downloaded, and am glad to have not gone to see it in the theaters. When I saw the first preview for it I was pumped, but sadly let down like a lead balloon filled with fart gas.

V a n c o u v e r C a n u c k s

Posted Image
2 0 14 S t a n l e y C u p C h a m p i o n s

#93 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,557 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:18 PM

I agree with everything this guy says about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M75W2Jx4cco&feature=g-u-u

god, this guy reminds me of VIRTUALLY EVERY SINGLE youtube vlogger from like 7 years ago

especially with that ridiculous editing
Posted Image

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#94 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,005 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:25 PM

Considering I read John Carter stories in the 80's I didn't think it was that bad. The problem is trying to explain going to Barsoom by wishing is tough to work in a modern story.

Maybe Jackson wants to go all out on the Battle of the Five Armies?
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#95 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:38 PM

Considering I read John Carter stories in the 80's I didn't think it was that bad. The problem is trying to explain going to Barsoom by wishing is tough to work in a modern story.

Maybe Jackson wants to go all out on the Battle of the Five Armies?

I wouldn't doubt it....among going more in-depth in a couple of other areas.

On Tuesday, 31 July 2012, it was reported that MarkMonitor registered a handful of domain names centered around the words Riddles in the Dark, The Battle of Five Armies and The Desolation of Smaug, suggesting that these are possible titles being considered for at least one of the films

http://en.wikipedia....mes07242012-147

Edited by Sharpshooter, 31 July 2012 - 10:38 PM.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#96 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:43 PM

I wouldn't doubt it....among going more in-depth in a couple of other areas.

[/size][/font]

I bet the movies will be good. He wouldn't be telling only the Hobbit book in 3 movies. He's got something up his sleeve.

Posted Image

#97 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,347 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:35 AM

Posted Image

#98 Columbo

Columbo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,901 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:34 AM

What the hell? It took me like 3 hours to read the whole book. How can they make 3 movies out of that?

I guess they just don't care if the movies are awful, Jackson & co. know that the audiences will flock to the theatres anyway and they'll make their millions.

#99 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:35 AM

What the hell? It took me like 3 hours to read the whole book. How can they make 3 movies out of that?

I guess they just don't care if the movies are awful, Jackson & co. know that the audiences will flock to the theatres anyway and they'll make their millions.

There's no doubt that the studio will make more money, but why does that bother you?

The point of adding the 3rd movie from your perspective, and from what's being expressed by Jackson, is that by adding a 3rd part, he is now free to add a bunch of the stuff from the LOTR appendices, as well as give a longer and richer interpretation of the movie. This movie is not going to read like the book, there will be added stuff from other sources now, in order to give a much richer understanding and view of the world and history The Hobbit and LOTR took place in.

I can't understand how anyone who's read those books wouldn't be appreciative if not relieved to have the opportunity to see more of Middle Earth.

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#100 WiDeN

WiDeN

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,751 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:39 AM

There's no doubt that the studio will make more money, but why does that bother you?

The point of adding the 3rd movie from your perspective, and from what's being expressed by Jackson, is that by adding a 3rd part, he is now free to add a bunch of the stuff from the LOTR appendices, as well as give a longer and richer interpretation of the movie. This movie is not going to read like the book, there will be added stuff from other sources now, in order to give a much richer understanding and view of the world and history The Hobbit and LOTR took place in.

I can't understand how anyone who's read those books wouldn't be appreciative if not relieved to have the opportunity to see more of Middle Earth.

Exactly. Unless you think the movies are going to be terrible why would you be mad about 3 instead of two?

Posted Image

#101 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,347 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:45 AM

i'd be madder if it was just 1 and done. his movies are entertaining and I love the universe. the more the better. hell, I'd be fine with a completely original 9 part series of films set in the universe as done by peter and I'd gladly pay for every single one.

#102 Columbo

Columbo

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 13,901 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:08 AM

Exactly. Unless you think the movies are going to be terrible why would you be mad about 3 instead of two?

The thing is, I do think they'll be terrible. Or at least, not nearly as good as how much money they'll make.

All they care about is making it super glitzy and epic as dragged out as possible. They spend so much time with gimmicks such as 3D and 48 fps, and the reviews are not good so far: http://www.eoshd.com...bbit-disappoint

It doesn't bother me that the studio will make a lot of money, good for them. It bothers me how people will just lap it up though.

#103 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:18 AM

The thing is, I do think they'll be terrible. Or at least, not nearly as good as how much money they'll make.

All they care about is making it super glitzy and epic as dragged out as possible. They spend so much time with gimmicks such as 3D and 48 fps, and the reviews are not good so far: http://www.eoshd.com...bbit-disappoint

It doesn't bother me that the studio will make a lot of money, good for them. It bothers me how people will just lap it up though.

I don't understand....so then you don't want the movies to be 'epic'?

And you don't have to watch it in 3D if you don't want to. It's being shot in non-3D form as well. The 48FPS while i've heard some negativity about may just be the future of cinematic filming, so get used to it maybe. I know there's a debate about it, but that's for another time.

And going back to your first line, how does the projection of profits negatively affect the quality that Jackson is known for when he has the time, financial resources and material such as LOTR, for examply, to work with?

It would seem to me, that his track record in Middle Earth has been impeccable thus far, and deserves a little less cynicism. You're entitled to your opinion of course...and if you think it won't be very good, then that's fine. Hopefully the trilogy turns your opinion around somewhat down the road.

#104 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:23 AM

I remember wanting to see more of a galaxy far, far away.....
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#105 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,347 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:42 AM

I remember wanting to see more of a galaxy far, far away.....

imagine if it had been made 9 years later, instead of 16 years later...

#106 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,745 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:35 PM

imagine if it had been made 9 years later, instead of 16 years later...

And imagine they had been good.

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#107 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,347 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:46 PM

what im saying is, if they had been made within a reasonable time frame from the original trilogy, odds are they would have been much better.

#108 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

what im saying is, if they had been made within a reasonable time frame from the original trilogy, odds are they would have been much better.

That's one of the reasons why i'm at least glad that Jackson's making The Hobbit relatively soon after LOTR. It may not have been as good as if it was years down the road with a possibly a different director, cast and vision.

#109 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:45 PM

And imagine they had been good.

They were good. The first two were sold 9.5, the third......more of an 8. Though it was worst because it was soo sad, but it had to be to set up 4,5,6.

#110 wtpasc

wtpasc

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:16 AM

I'm very excited for these films. I am having trouble imaging how it can be stretched to fit three feature length films, but they will of course, find a way. I am pretty confident that it will work out very well. I'm a huge Tolkien nerd and if he even comes close to achieving the visual appeal of the LOTR tril. it will be a job well done.

All I ask of Peter Jackson is that he cuts out all the dwarf jokes, and if he has the urge to make anyone ride their shields like snowboards he thinks twice.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#111 Monty

Monty

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,745 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:25 PM

They were good. The first two were sold 9.5, the third......more of an 8. Though it was worst because it was soo sad, but it had to be to set up 4,5,6.

Be honest now, how old were you when the last 3 movies came out?

Can you imagine drowning AT a KK Rev concert?

i'm pretty sure that's how zombies are born.

#112 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:40 AM

Sure, they do this now.... but where was Tom Bombadil?

I know! I was so pissed when they left him out!

#113 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:22 PM

I know! I was so pissed when they left him out!

What a great character he was. I kinda wanted to see who would play his wife 'Goldie', or whatever her name was. The way she was described, you'd think she was a mixture of Liv Tyler, Cate Blanchett, with a side order of Kate Upton.

Anyways, it was a shame that part of the book was completely skipped over. I see why it was, because it would have taken a chunk of time that they couldn't do in the 1st movie, but still, there was plenty of material there...especially towards the end of the Tom Bombadil chapter(s) with the hobbits being captured by the creepy Barrow-wights.

"Cold be hand and heart and bone,
and be sleep under stone:
nevermore to wake on stony bed,
never, till the Sun fails and the Moon is dead.
In the black wind the stars shall die,
and still on gold here let them lie,
till the dark lord lifts his hand
over dead sea and withered land."

-------------------------------------------------------------

"Ho! Tom Bombadil, Tom Bombadillo!
By water, wood and hill, by the redd and willow,
By fire, sun and moon harken now and hear us!
Come, Tom Bombadil, for our need is near us!"

--------------------------------------------------------------

Woulda been neat to see. ;)

Edit - Maybe he woulda looked something like this?

Posted Image

Edited by Sharpshooter, 03 August 2012 - 03:08 PM.

#114 sakage.shinga

sakage.shinga

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:17 PM

O_o...

Assuming that this isn't the studio wanting to milk it for all it's worth, I'm still concerned that with all the side stories and background stories that the main storyline will become disjointed and thus break the immersion for me.
Posted Image

#115 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:25 PM

O_o...

Assuming that this isn't the studio wanting to milk it for all it's worth, I'm still concerned that with all the side stories and background stories that the main storyline will become disjointed and thus break the immersion for me.

Just wondering if the side bits of story telling and the historical accounting in the form of flashbacks in LOTR broke the immersion for you overall?

#116 uber_pwnzor

uber_pwnzor

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:28 PM

What a great character he was. I kinda wanted to see who would play his wife 'Goldie', or whatever her name was. The way she was described, you'd think she was a mixture of Liv Tyler, Cate Blanchett, with a side order of Kate Upton.

Anyways, it was a shame that part of the book was completely skipped over. I see why it was, because it would have taken a chunk of time that they couldn't do in the 1st movie, but still, there was plenty of material there...especially towards the end of the Tom Bombadil chapter(s) with the hobbits being captured by the creepy Barrow-wights.

"Cold be hand and heart and bone,
and be sleep under stone:
nevermore to wake on stony bed,
never, till the Sun fails and the Moon is dead.
In the black wind the stars shall die,
and still on gold here let them lie,
till the dark lord lifts his hand
over dead sea and withered hand."

-------------------------------------------------------------

"Ho! Tom Bombadil, Tom Bombadillo!
By water, wood and hill, by the redd and willow,
By fire, sun and moon harken now and hear us!
Come, Tom Bombadil, for our need is near us!"

--------------------------------------------------------------

Woulda been neat to see. ;)

Edit - Maybe he woulda looked something like this?

Posted Image

Would have been sooo epic! They could have included him in like a collector's edition or something :D

#117 Trebreh

Trebreh

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,907 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:35 PM

Does anyone know if they have plans on making a movie about Sauron?? like the story of the battle for middle earth?

#118 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:25 PM

Does anyone know if they have plans on making a movie about Sauron?? like the story of the battle for middle earth?

I don't think there are any plans for a stand alone movie about Sauron.

I'm hoping that somehow after the rights can be bought from Tolkien's son, that the next movie franchise from this world would be, The Silmarillion....but we should have years worth of The Hobbit in any case.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.