The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Game] Luongo to Vancouver!

If we were in need of a goalie, and Luongo was on Florida today I would offer:

Canucks get : Luongo

Florida gets : Hansen, Tanev, + 2nd

Looks a lot similar to: Matthuis, Gabranson ( even though I feel Gabranson is better then Tanev) but that is what I think the return will be Today from Florida.

Sorry but Pittsburgh and now the flyers are exactly example of team who invested a lot of resource in having an elite goalie,

Pitsburg wasted the 1st overall 2003, one of the greatest draft ever, to acquire Fleury, an "elite goalie who will last more than a decade!!"

For many years Philadelphia was one of the most successful NHL teams even without a goalie. Now they acquired what everyone thought was the missing element to win a guarantee cup and have at last a goalie who can make the difference in Bryzgalov

Fleury and Bryzgalov are both among the most paid 5 000 000$ + goalie in the league.

Result? You use them as an example of bad goaltending!!!

And just tell me how much success the Rangers, a team who spend years after years to the cap, had since they have Lunqvist....a goalie who can make a difference? Well, it doesnt seem Lundqvist make that much of a difference.

Okay, so apparently now being paid over $5 million a year makes you an elite goalie in the NHL. By that logic, Luongo is definitely in the elite and that justifies trading elite players back for him...What does that make Scott Gomez then?? One of the top 10 forwards in the NHL?

Please help me find a Philly fan who is not angry at Bryzgalov's contract like many Canucks fans hate Luongo's contract...

and Lundqvist didn't win the Vezina for no reason...Fleury may have had more success than Lundqvist, but I think it would be mighty difficult to make the arguement that Fluery or Bryzgalov are better than Lundqvist in terms of skill

Edit: Tell me about how much of a difference Bryzgalov made in the playoffs

Steve Moore is a non issue. Now and even if the Bertuzzi incident didn't happen. People want him because he is still effective. Remember when Weber tried that WWF crap on Zetterberg in the playoffs. Bertuzzi stepped up. Our team would have given him a face-wash, if that.

zBHwe-257x300.jpg

I never even conceived there would be a day where fans turned on Luongo.

It is deplorable, disconcerting and most of all, rather idiosyncratic of Vancouver in particular; the goalie graveyard.

But I do not expect anything less from these pompous fans.

You know last summer i was among the few people saying Bryzgalov contract was horrible and he would not worth it.

I guess you was among the people saying the Flyers needed an upgrade in goal.....exactly as you are saying now.

I was among the few one suggesting Theodore would be one of the best option around.

Take a look there: /topic/311861-speculation-how-do-you-rank-the-01-goalie-tradesigning-since-the-deadline/">http://forum.canucks...e-the-deadline/

Some excerpt:

Ok, I think the Flyers needed an upgrade in goal but the guy they needed definitely was NOT Bryzgalov...as you can see from what I said, I said that just because a goalie is paid over $5 million it doesn't mean that he is elite.

However, that being said, their team (IMO) got a lot better as a result of trading away Carter and Richards to make room for Bryzgalov.

Can you define: ''Getting a lot better'' ? They didnt really do better in the ranking or in the playoff than the average past 4 years.

2011-2012 - 103 pts 2nd round

2010-2011 - 106 pts - 2nd round

2009-2010 - 88pts - Stanley cup final

2008-2009 - 99pts - 1st round

2007-2008 - 95pts - semi final

By getting Bryzgalov and trading Carter and Richard, they had a less successful season than 2010-2011. While they was above the average of their past 4 seasons in the season ranking, they did under their average in the playoff.

Thats not what i call: "getting a lot better." (and please take note that Richards and Carter won the cup with LA)

When a goalie is paid 5 000 000$ + i totally agree it doesn't mean he is elite, but the GM who signed him sincerely thought he was an elite by giving him elite money.

Since the lockout, looking at different angle, it just didnt worth it to paid that much money for a goalie, Luongo and Lundqvist are no exception.

They may not have done better standing wise and in the playoffs but I think their team did well in the trades.

They traded away two players who have been reported to have caused trouble and division amongst the Flyers players...in return they got Brayden Schenn (top prospect), Voracek (potential and current 1st line RW), 8th overall pick (Sean Couturier - another top prospect who shut down Malkin), Wayne Simmonds (gritty potential 2nd/3rd line winger) and a 2nd and 3rd round pick....

As a reminder, they got that entire package for two players who were what people called "locker room cancers" and ruined team chemistry. Also, if they weren't traded, Giroux would never have gotten the ice time had this year and wouldn't have flourished like he did. Richards and Carter were essentially replaced by Voracek and Couturier (and the Flyers get Schenn, Simmonds and the picks as bonus). Using this reasoning, I feel that the Flyers benefit this trade short-term (Giroux now has the ice time to display his skills) and long-term (older players for younger players with high potential)

And as for Richards and Carter winning a cup, congrats to them...I really doubt Holmgrem regrets the trade...

I appreciate the time you take to reply and express your thinking.

But really, i would rather have a team who "got a lot worse", but do better Standing and playoff wise. Than a team who "got a lot better" but doesn't do better.

Phoenix and Florida sound exactly like team who got a lot worse after losing Vokoun and Brygalov.

According to the hockeynews, Phoenix was suppose to be in ruins after losing their franchise goaltender..not have their best season ever. Same deal about Florida losing Vokoun

Archived