Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

World's Worst blackout in India 700-Million without power

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
72 replies to this topic

#1 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,015 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:58 AM

India blackout spreads, 700 million without power

NEW DELHI—More than 700 million people in India have been left without power in the world’s worst modern blackout, prompting fears that protests and even riots could follow if the country’s electricity supply continues to fail to meet growing demands, the Guardian reported.

The blackout has trapped miners, stranded train travellers and plunged hospitals into darkness when grids collapsed for the second time in two days.

Stretching from Assam, near China, to the Himalayas and the northwestern deserts of Rajasthan, the outage covered states where half of India’s 1.2 billion people live and embarrassed the government, which has failed to build up enough power capacity to meet soaring demand.

“Even before we could figure out the reason for yesterday’s failure, we had more grid failures today,” said R. N. Nayak, chairman of the state-run Power Grid Corporation.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had vowed to fast-track stalled power and infrastructure projects as well as introduce free market reforms aimed at reviving India’s flagging economy. But he has drawn fire for dragging his feet.

The cuts in such a widespread area of the world’s second-most populous nation appeared to be one of the biggest in history, and hurt Indians’ pride as the country seeks to emerge as a major force on the international stage.

“It’s certainly shameful. Power is a very basic amenity and situations like these should not occur,” said Unnayan Amitabh, 19, an intern with HSBC bank in New Delhi, before giving up on the underground train system and flagging down an auto-rickshaw to get home.

“They talk about big ticket reforms but can’t get something as essential as power supply right.”
Power Minister Sushilkumar Shinde blamed the system collapse on some states drawing more than their share of electricity from the over-burdened grid, but Uttar Pradesh’s top civil servant for energy said outdated transmission lines were at fault.

Asia’s third-largest economy suffers a peak-hour power deficit of about 10 per cent, dragging on economic growth.

Between a quarter and 40 per cent of Indians are not connected to the national grid.
Two hundred miners were stranded in three deep coal shafts in the state of West Bengal when their electric elevators stopped working. Eastern Coalfields Limited official Niladri Roy said workers at the mines, one of which is 700 metres deep, were not in danger and were being taken out.

Train stations in Kolkata were swamped and traffic jammed the streets after government offices closed early in the dilapidated coastal city of 5 million people.

The power failed in some major city hospitals and office buildings had to fire up diesel generators.
On Monday, India was forced to buy extra power from the tiny neighbouring kingdom of Bhutan to help it recover from a blackout that hit more than 300 million people.

Indians took to social networking sites to ridicule the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government, in part for promoting Shinde despite the power cuts.
Narendra Modi, an opposition leader and chief minister in Gujarat, a state that enjoys a surplus of power, was scornful.

“With poor economic management UPA has emptied the pockets of common man; kept stomachs hungry with inflation & today pushed them into darkness,” he said on his Twitter account.

The country’s southern and western grids were supplying power to help restore services, officials said.
The problem has been made worse by a weak monsoon in agricultural states such as wheat-belt Punjab and Uttar Pradesh in the Ganges plain, which has a larger population than Brazil.

With less rain to irrigate crops, more farmers resort to electric pumps to draw water from wells.
India’s electricity distribution and transmission is mostly state run, with private companies operating in Delhi, Mumbai and Kolkata. Less than a quarter of generation is private nationwide.

More than half the country’s electricity is generated by coal, with hydro power and nuclear also contributing.
Power shortages and a creaky road and rail network have weighed heavily on India’s efforts to industrialize. Grappling with the slowest economic growth in nine years, the government recently scaled back a target to pump $1 trillion into infrastructure over the next five years.

Major industries have their own power plants or diesel generators and are shielded from outages. But the inconsistent supply hits investment and disrupts small businesses.

High consumption of heavily subsidized diesel by farmers and businesses has fuelled a gaping fiscal deficit that the government has vowed to tackle to restore confidence in the economy.
But the poor monsoon means a subsidy cut is politically difficult.

On Tuesday, the central bank cut its economic growth outlook for the fiscal year that ends in March to 6.5 per cent, from the 7.3 per cent assumption made in April, putting its outlook closer to that of many private economists.

“This is going to have a substantial adverse impact on the overall economic activity. Power failure for two consecutive days hits sentiment very badly,” said N. Bhanumurthy, a senior economist at National Institute of Public Finance and Policy.

http://www.thestar.c...kout-hits-india

Edited by key2thecup, 31 July 2012 - 10:59 AM.

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

Dr. Rand Paul 2016!

INFJ

#2 Rockeh

Rockeh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,919 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:00 AM

"Being a Red Wing is something special; it's more than money, it's more than fame, it's being a part of something bigger than yourself.
Something that has history and tradition and wins.
"

- Mike Babcock

#3 Blueberries

Blueberries

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:01 AM

Lol.

2pzbeb6.jpg

THANKS TO VINTAGE CANUCK FOR THE AWESOME SIG!!

#4 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 75,273 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:08 AM

Yeah, I heard about this some days ago.

The power goes out all the time in India. But 700 million people without power at the same time would really feel weird.

Edited by -Vintage Canuck-, 31 July 2012 - 11:09 AM.

307mg00.jpg

#5 g_bassi13

g_bassi13

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,054 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:15 AM

I lose power for some an amount of time almost every day. But I've been perfectly fine the last 2 days in Bangalore. I could imagine falling into that potential blackout range soon though.

ucuxpJV.png

On the off-chance I die, gbassi, I love you.

#6 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,555 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:18 AM

that's nothing, 24 million people in north korea have gone without power their entire lives.

Edited by avelanch, 31 July 2012 - 11:19 AM.

#7 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:25 AM

I lose power for some an amount of time almost every day. But I've been perfectly fine the last 2 days in Bangalore. I could imagine falling into that potential blackout range soon though.

No kidding. In India, rolling blackouts happen pretty much every day. No biggie.
I'm saying Aladeen a lot because http://forum.canucks...dpost__10922428

I bet when Schneider turns 38, he will have broken all of Luongo's records.

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#8 Snake Doctor

Snake Doctor

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,128 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:30 AM

:frantic:
Posted Image

#9 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:34 AM

:frantic:

That's me if the lights flicker. #FirstWorldProblems indeed

Posted Image

General Manager of Buffalo Sabres; CDC Omega League; CM Connected; NHL 13; [[[[PS3]]]]

#10 g_bassi13

g_bassi13

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,054 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:35 AM

No kidding. In India, rolling blackouts happen pretty much every day. No biggie.

This is something different though. This is the kind of thing that actually effects industry an all. When everything everywhere gets shut down at the same time when it's not supposed to, things will go wrong.

Edited by g_bassi13, 31 July 2012 - 11:35 AM.

ucuxpJV.png

On the off-chance I die, gbassi, I love you.

#11 SukhKular

SukhKular

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:41 AM

This is something different though. This is the kind of thing that actually effects industry an all. When everything everywhere gets shut down at the same time when it's not supposed to, things will go wrong.

I know. I'm from the pindh, eh? It doesn't affect them at all. They probably didn't even notice any difference. But when Delhi loses their power, you know crap just hit the fan. Those tiny apartments were probably boiling with no AC.

Posted Image

#12 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,916 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:27 PM

Must've been brutal for Microsoft tech support...
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#13 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,220 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:31 PM

Interesting thought...
1 of 10 people on Earth are affected by this blackout...

Edited by Jagermeister, 31 July 2012 - 12:32 PM.

Jagermeister.jpg

#14 Spoosh

Spoosh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:40 PM

Interesting thought...

I'm one of those who wasn't.
© 2000, 2014 K'Spoosh Entertainment Ltd.

Misuse of this almost copyrighted information will with near certainty lead to misuse of it.

Posted Image

#15 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,089 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:41 PM

That sucks but that's what they get for not upgrading their plants older than the world wars are. This kind of stupidity might also explain why so many people from India are in exodus to Canada and other first world countries.

Interesting thought...

How many are in Canada?

Your example though does put into perspective how numbers can be skewed and blown up to paint an incorrect picture of things.

Edited by zaibatsu, 31 July 2012 - 12:57 PM.

#16 Spitfire_Spiky

Spitfire_Spiky

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:45 PM

Sucks to be India, Sounds like people need to start making their own electricity. I can see it now every house with a wind generator on top.
Mess with the Best, Die like the Rest

#17 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,555 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:56 PM

Sucks to be India, Sounds like people need to start making their own electricity. I can see it now every house with a wind generator on top.

and solar panels

#18 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,270 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:08 PM

I guess you can say, they are powerless.

Posted Image

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#19 Totes McGoats

Totes McGoats

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,594 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:18 PM

Well, if the stupid Indian's didn't wire their country like this (see below), they might not have a giant issue on their hands.... Have fun pulling wire guys! It's gonna take awhile!

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Totes McGoats, 31 July 2012 - 01:20 PM.

#20 Bob Singh

Bob Singh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:20 PM

Yeah . In some parts, They don't get power for more than 20 hours a day!
Posted Image
Credit for "Great Save Luongo" sig goes to -Vintage Canuck-
Credit for Olympic sig goes to Motzaburger.

#21 Bob Singh

Bob Singh

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:22 PM

I know. I'm from the pindh, eh? It doesn't affect them at all. They probably didn't even notice any difference. But when Delhi loses their power, you know crap just hit the fan. Those tiny apartments were probably boiling with no AC.

i'd agree. there is no AC there
Posted Image
Credit for "Great Save Luongo" sig goes to -Vintage Canuck-
Credit for Olympic sig goes to Motzaburger.

#22 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,467 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:23 PM

Bye Tabby

naslundsig5.gif14326903821.giftowel.gif
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#23 marleau_12

marleau_12

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,286 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:23 PM

Once the power turned off while I was in India showering. Slipped, fell, hit my head on the toilet. :picard:
Posted Image

#24 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,449 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:25 PM

Well, if the stupid Indian's didn't wire their country like this (see below), they might not have a giant issue on their hands.... Have fun pulling wire guys! It's gonna take awhile!

Ever spent much time in the 3rd world? Lots of the wiring looks like this as people attach their own line and steal power. There's a difference between stupid and poor.

Edited by nuckin_futz, 31 July 2012 - 01:33 PM.

#25 Totes McGoats

Totes McGoats

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,594 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:29 PM

Wiring a country like that is just plain lazy.

#26 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:30 PM

that's nothing, 24 million people in north korea have gone without power their entire lives.

To be fair, North Korea's not exactly promoting itself as the next economic superpower.

#27 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,746 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:31 PM

^ at wiring comment

Anyways, this isn't even that big of a deal of them, rolling blackouts. - only a big deal for the rich...

Edited by A1 CANUCK, 31 July 2012 - 01:32 PM.

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL medium.png - STHS medium.png - CDCFL

#28 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,916 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:31 PM

Once the power turned off while I was in India showering. Slipped, fell, hit my head on the toilet. :picard:

That must have felt like crap....
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#29 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,449 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:34 PM

That must have felt like crap....

I see what you did there. Touche.

#30 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 34,555 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:35 PM

To be fair, North Korea's not exactly promoting itself as the next economic superpower.

north korea is superpower!
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.