Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

World's Worst blackout in India 700-Million without power

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
72 replies to this topic

#31 Totes McGoats

Totes McGoats

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

Ever spent much time in the 3rd world? Lots of the wiring looks like this as people attach there own line and steal power. There's a difference between stupid and poor.

I've been to India, completed a 3 month study on Women's development for Queen's U there, add to that Jamaica, China, Mexico, Nicaragua, Philippines, Thailand, and about 30 other "1st world countries".... if you want to use such an archaic way of describing them.

India has the worst wiring out of all of those countries.

The power company literally doesn't pull down bad wires when they die, they simply wrap a new(er) wire around the old one up to the connection.

yes, it's a combination of the poorness that surrounds Indian culture, but it's also a matter of good-old-fashion laziness.

Sorry to say. But it's true.

It's really no different than going into any of the mom-and pop Indian restaurants in Vancouver and being appalled by the cleanliness of the facilities.... ever hear of a mop?

Edited by Totes McGoats, 31 July 2012 - 01:39 PM.

#32 JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:37 PM

Once the power turned off while I was in India showering. Slipped, fell, hit my head on the toilet. :picard:

And that's when you invented the flux capacitor.
Posted Image

#33 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,160 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:41 PM

Sounds like a great place

#34 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 78,835 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:56 PM

Power returning after India's big blackout:

Power supplies have been largely restored in India after its worst-ever blackout, which left hundreds of millions of people across more than half the country without electricity.

The blackout, which lasted for well over 10 hours, began at 1.04pm (1734 AEST) on Tuesday and affected 19 states as well as the capital New Delhi, paralysing rail and road transport.

In a statement late Tuesday the state-run Power Grid Corp, which controls the country's transmission network, said electricity had been fully restored in New Delhi and the northeastern region.

Power had also been restored in up to 82 per cent in the northern region, and 65 per cent in the eastern region, it said.

Officials said the power grid serving the north of the country had collapsed in the afternoon, following a similar shutdown on Monday disrupted transport services and water supplies.

In what was described as a "cascading failure", the eastern grid then suffered a breakdown, followed by the collapse of the northeastern grid.

The grids together provide power to areas inhabited by more than half of India's population of 1.2 billion.

In addition, an estimated 300 million Indians, mostly in poor, rural areas, do not have access to electricity.

Tens of thousands of passengers were stranded at stations as the outages disrupted some 300 trains across the northern region.

Businesses, hospitals and other essential services ran on back-up power supplies. Flights operations were unaffected.

New Delhi's metro was suspended for two hours and staff evacuated the trains.

In the capital, and many other cities, traffic was severely affected as traffic signals tripped and caused major gridlock at intersections. Some 4000 traffic police personnel in Delhi were immediately deployed, the IANS news agency reported.

The eastern metropolis of Kolkata was not badly affected, as it is served by a private electricity board. But suburban train services were halted in the region.

The failure also trapped around 200 miners in a mine in West Bengal, as lifts failed but the men were rescued after emergency power supply was arranged, news channels reported.

Tuesday's blackout was India's worst in its modern history. While smaller power cuts are common, and riots broke out this year over power shortages, multiple grid failures have been rare. The last time the northern grid failed was in 2001.

With rapid growth, India faces a severe energy crunch, and experts have warned such major outages will become more common unless supplies are increased. With coal, oil and gas supplies insufficient to meet its growing needs, India is looking to increase its nuclear and solar energy supply.

"Patients suffering at hospitals, people stranded on roads and train stations. Is this a picture of India in the 21st century?," asked Gaurav Arora, a Delhi-based stockbroker.

"How can a country dream of emerging as a power when it has such an energy crisis threatening its economic growth?" he said.

http://www.sbs.com.a...'s-big-blackout

307mg00.jpg

#35 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:10 PM

I've been to India, completed a 3 month study on Women's development for Queen's U there, add to that Jamaica, China, Mexico, Nicaragua, Philippines, Thailand, and about 30 other "1st world countries".... if you want to use such an archaic way of describing them.

The power company literally doesn't pull down bad wires when they die, they simply wrap a new(er) wire around the old one up to the connection.

yes, it's a combination of the poorness that surrounds Indian culture, but it's also a matter of good-old-fashion laziness.

It's really no different than going into any of the mom-and pop Indian restaurants in Vancouver and being appalled by the cleanliness of the facilities.... ever hear of a mop?

Yeah I don't see a problem telling it the way it is..

#36 hudson bay rules

hudson bay rules

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:13 PM

they've traced it back to the train system

Edited by Patrick Kane, 31 July 2012 - 03:11 PM.

I love rock and roll, just put another dime in the juice box baby.

#37 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:22 PM

the images in the first page also reminded me of all those videos and pictures I've come across of people there being electrocuted tampering with live wires.

#38 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:22 PM

^ at wiring comment

Anyways, this isn't even that big of a deal of them, rolling blackouts. - only a big deal for the rich...

What about the hundreds of millions that need power to work in the factories, producing the clothes and shoes that we have?
What about the call centers that need power so whenever we can't figure out our DVD player, we call them?

I hardly consider the workers in those places "rich"...

#39 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:06 PM

its not "laziness" . Its not the avg. Indian's fault..... You have a 3rd world infrastructure, recent reports saying at least $1TRILL needed in investment to upgrade the country's infrastructure.

Yet such upgrades are met with opposition (for good reason) due to the horrible amount of corruption in the country. From top to bottom.

Work is done shabby, materials are shabby, workers aren't trained well enough.

All the while the contractors are given gov't dough, they mickey mouse the job and walk away with as much $ as possible.

This isn't Canada were all the tradesmen are red seal certified doing job up to Canadian Code, getting paid $30/hr to do it.

This is just another reason I believe India is not in direct competition with China yet, they are decades behind the Chinese in these kind of areas.

Edited by key2thecup, 31 July 2012 - 04:00 PM.

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#40 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,345 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:54 PM

Well, I have to say I thought this discussion had more potential....
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#41 MrsCanuck

MrsCanuck

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,635 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:01 PM

State of Punjab rarely goes 24hours WITH power.
Posted Image

#42 Standing_Tall#37

Standing_Tall#37

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,228 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:16 PM

its not "laziness" . Its not the avg. Indian's fault..... You have a 3rd world infrastructure, recent reports saying at least $1TRILL needed in investment to upgrade the country's infrastructure.

Yet such upgrades are met with opposition (for good reason) due to the horrible amount of corruption in the country. From top to bottom.

Work is done shabby, materials are shabby, workers aren't trained well enough.

All the while the contractors are given gov't dough, they mickey mouse the job and walk away with as much $ as possible.

This isn't Canada were all the tradesmen are red seal certified doing job up to Canadian Code, getting paid $30/hr to do it.

This is just another reason I believe India is not in direct competition with China yet, they are decades behind the Chinese in these kind of areas.

What kind of red-seal scab would work for 30 bucks an hour?, I know I sure as hell wouldn't for less than 40-50 lol

#43 Canucksbiggestfan

Canucksbiggestfan

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,027 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:36 PM

Ok... East Indians are one of the cleanest people out there. They keep their homes, stores, and restaurants very clean, it's not their fault that the people who go there can be filthy and disgusting.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#44 -Goose-

-Goose-

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:42 PM

One of the main things you need to reduce poverty and increase living standards is cheap and reliable electricity. AFAIK India still rations electricity to its population and has terrible infrastructure all around.

I think comparing India to China in terms of economic poweress is disernest. China may be industrializing in a controversial way, but they are getting results.

Posted Image

#45 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,515 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:48 PM

--

Edited by nuckin_futz, 31 July 2012 - 08:48 PM.

#46 I♥Wellwood

I♥Wellwood

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:54 PM

Don't most people in India have generators that they use when the power goes out ? That's what it was like when I was last there. Super useful. The blackouts were hardly noticeable.

Posted Image

#47 Dion Phaneuf

Dion Phaneuf

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,883 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:00 PM

Don't most people in India have generators that they use when the power goes out ? That's what it was like when I was last there. Super useful. The blackouts were hardly noticeable.

Mostly at homes...my house in India has multiple generators LOL.

gallery_47851_23_84084.png

medium.png - CDCGML 483288048.png - EHL  medium.png - CDCFL

#48 I♥Wellwood

I♥Wellwood

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:07 PM

Mostly at homes...my house in India has multiple generators LOL.

Yeah that's what I was thinking! That's why I was a little confused. You can't survive without a generator over there.. and if you have to, I seriously feel bad for those people.

Edited by I♥Wellwood, 31 July 2012 - 09:11 PM.

Posted Image

#49 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:09 PM

The incident's got its own Wiki

July 2012 India blackout

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

July 2012 India blackout Posted Image
Indian states (dark red) affected by the power outage on 31 July 2012 Date 02:48, 30 July 2012 (+05:30)-
20:30, 31 July 2012 (+05:30) Location Northern India

The July 2012 India blackout is a power outage that occurred on 30 July 2012 in northern India, affecting 14 states,[1] followed by another power outage on 31 July affecting 20 states. It was the largest blackout in history, affecting over 600 million people,[2][3] about half of India's population. As of the evening of 31 July 2012, electrical power had been restored to most of northern India, including the country's capital city of New Delhi, and to about half of eastern India.[4]
Background

In the weeks leading up to the failure, extreme heat had caused power use to reach record levels in New Delhi. Due to the late arrival of monsoons, agricultural areas in Punjab and Haryana drew increased power from the grid for running irrigation pumps to paddy fields.[5] The late monsoon also meant that hydroelectric plants were generating less than their usual production.[6]
Sequence of events

30 July

At 02:35 IST (21:05 UTC on 29 July), a line feeding into the Agra-Bareilly transmission section, the 400 kV Bina-Gwalior line, tripped, triggering the collapse. All major electrical plants were shut down in the affected states, causing an estimated shortage of 32 GW.[7] Officials described the failure as "the worst in a decade".[8]

On the day of the collapse, Power Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde stated that the exact cause of the failure was unknown, but that at the time of the failure, electricity use was "above normal". He speculated that some states had attempted to draw more power than permitted due to higher consumption. Spokesperson for Power Grid Corporation of India Limited (PGCIL) and the Northern Regional Load Dispatch Centre (NRLDC) stated that Uttar Pradesh, Punjab and Haryana were the states responsible for the overdraw. PGCIL's chairman also stated that electrical service was restored "at a record time".[7]

A senior director for an Indian power company described the outage as "a fairly large breakdown that exposed major technical faults in India’s grid system. Something went terribly wrong which caused the backup safety systems to fail."[9]

More than 300 million people, nearly 30% of India's population, were without power. Railways and some airports were shut down until 08:00[10] New Delhi's Indira Gandhi International Airport was able to remain open, however, as it switched to back-up power.[9] The outage caused "chaos" for Monday morning rush hour, as passenger trains were shut down and traffic signals were non-operational.[7] Trains stalled for three to five hours.[10] Several hospitals reported interruptions in health services,[7] while others relied on back-up generators.[8] Water treatment plants were shut down for several hours,[10] and millions were unable to draw water from wells powered by electric pumps.[5]
The Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India stated that the blackout had "severely impacted" businesses, leaving many unable to operate.[11] Oil refineries were able to continue operating, however, as they maintained independent power supplies.[7]
It took 15 hours to restore 80% of service.[9]
31 July

The system failed again at 13:02 IST (07:32 UTC), due to a relay problem near the Taj Mahal.[12]
As a result, power stations across the affected parts of India again went offline. NTPC Ltd. stopped 38% of its generation capacity.[13] Over 600 million people (nearly half of India's population), in 22 out of 28 states in India, were without power.[1]
The following states were affected by the grid failure:[14]

More than 300 intercity passenger trains and commuter lines were shut down as a result of the power outage.[15][16] The worst affected zones in the wake of the power grid's collapse were Northern, North Central, East Central, and East Coast railway zones, with parts of Eastern, South Eastern and West Central railway zones. The Delhi Metro suspended service on all six lines as power tripped for the second consecutive day. Delhi Metro had to evacuate passengers from trains that stopped mid-journey. The Delhi Disaster Management Authority helped in this evacuation.[13] As result of this blackout, around 200 miners were trapped underground in eastern India due to lifts failing, but officials later said they had all been rescued.[17]
The National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), not normally mandated to investigate blackouts, began to do so because of the threat to basic infrastructure facilities like railways, metro rail system, lifts in multi-story buildings, and movement of vehicular traffic.[18] The Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India stated that the blackout had "severely impacted" businesses, leaving many unable to operate.[19] Oil refineries were able to continue operating, however, as they maintained independent power supplies.[7]
Reactions

On the day of the collapse, Power Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde ordered a three-member panel to determine the reason for the failure and report on it in fifteen days.[20] In response to criticism, he observed that India was not alone in suffering major power outages, as blackouts had also occurred in the United States and Brazil within the previous few years.[6]
The Washington Post described the failure as adding urgency to Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's plan for a US$400 billion overhaul of India's power grid. His plan calls for a further 76 gigawatts of generation by 2017,[9] produced in part by nuclear power.
Rajiv Kumar, secretary general of the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) said, "One of the major reasons for the collapse of the power grid is the major gap between demand and supply. There is an urgent need to reform the power sector and bring about infrastructural improvements to meet the new challenges of the growing economy."[21]

http://en.wikipedia...._India_blackout

Edited by key2thecup, 31 July 2012 - 09:12 PM.

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#50 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:16 PM

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#51 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,649 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:27 PM

Current Indian PM is the father of the reform movement in India. He was finance minister in 1991 when India opened up their economy to the world. Since then India has been booming. His current attempts to open up more of the economy to privatizarion has been held back by leftists in his ruling coalition Congress Party.

This will shock the people into calling for more reform. Not a bad thing for a couple of days without power.

#52 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,803 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:37 PM

Once the power turned off while I was in India showering. Slipped, fell, hit my head on the toilet. :picard:

This is why I never shower in India.

#53 Hotdawg

Hotdawg

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:45 PM

Current Indian PM is the father of the reform movement in India. He was finance minister in 1991 when India opened up their economy to the world. Since then India has been booming. His current attempts to open up more of the economy to privatizarion has been held back by leftists in his ruling coalition Congress Party.

This will shock the people into calling for more reform. Not a bad thing for a couple of days without power.

Great, can't wait for a country the size of BC but with 500 times the population to all drive to work.

#54 key2thecup

key2thecup

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:57 PM

Great, can't wait for a country the size of BC but with 500 times the population to all drive to work.

Why do you deserve anything more than any other human walking this planet?

Dr. Ron Paul 2016!

#55 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:03 AM

The size of B.C.?? :blink:

India = 3,287,590 km²
B.C. = 944,735 km²

And your math is off, which shouldn't be much of a shocker.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#56 Hotdawg

Hotdawg

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:08 AM

No kidding..........and apparently he`s not so great at psychiatry either as I have been diagnosed ``a Psychopath err Narcicist err Communist err a self deceiving Feminist``

Does that mean I`m better at numbers than the user in question.

There is a rather large discrepency in those numbers, fer sure! :lol:

I only guessed at you being a psycopath, narcicist, communist or feminist. And I'm 100% confident that I hit one one of them or more bang on!

#57 Bertuzzi Babe

Bertuzzi Babe

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,239 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:10 AM

I only guessed at you being a psycopath, narcicist, communist or feminist. And I'm 100% confident that I hit one one of them or more bang on!

Nah, on second thought, I`ll let a moderator deal with you. :lol:

Edited by Bertuzzi Babe, 01 August 2012 - 01:14 AM.

"Sursumredditio" non usquam in hac mea loquantur!

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.....

#58 YaK

YaK

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:19 AM

Big deal... 1.6 Billion people did without power...

In 1880
Posted Image
"It felt almost like it was a dream," Burrows said of his game-winner.
"But guys jumped on me and I couldn't breathe, so I knew it was right."

#59 Hotdawg

Hotdawg

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:28 AM

The size of B.C.?? :blink:

India = 3,287,590 km²
B.C. = 944,735 km²

And your math is off, which shouldn't be much of a shocker.

So What, but thanks for pointing it out. So instead of 500 drivers for every bc driver there are only 137 drivers, does that make you feel any better?, and does the 6.7 kids that muslims have and the 4.9 Indian kids to the 1.7 kids white people have give you any comfort for you in the future? How would you like to be the only white kid in your school?

Edited by Hotdawg, 01 August 2012 - 01:30 AM.

#60 Hotdawg

Hotdawg

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:36 AM

Nah, on second thought, I`ll let a moderator deal with you. :lol:

What did I say something wrong again?

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.