The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Hypothetical] It's 2017, Sedins are 36, What kind of return?

Strombone1

What kind of return?

A) This presumes they don't go home to MoDo after their contracts expire in 2014.

B) It's a pretty loose notion to suggest we would re-sign guys of the Sedins stature to trade them!

I was reading an article talking about how Gillis is trying to rebuild and compete at the same time and it got me thinking... I would rather see a competing team for years to come without a cup than going all in this year for a cup and no future.

Lets fast forward to 2017. Assuming Sedins have resigned with us till then and they plan on playing till their 40s. Still productive but age is taking a toll on them like it would on anyone. We gotta think long term and make plans while they still have value.

Our GM at the time sees that it's time to trade the twins before they become too old and he's looking for prospects back. It wouldnt make sense to trade one of them and keep the other. I see him trading both.

What calibre prospects/players would we get for them at that age? Lets give examples of current prospects/rookies just to gauge their worth.

EDIT:

For those certain a 100% about the Sedins retiring in Vancouver, here's a really bad google translation of an interview they did a while back.

http://allehanda.se/...m-ger-framgang-

and http://sverigesradio...artikel=3980127 if anyone can listen and translate

This all depends on

1. How good they are at that point.

2. They win any stanley cups.

3. How good of value they are getting in return.

I would love the sedins to retire in Vancouver but I really want something in return for 2 :shock: and I mean 2 caliber players.

Sedins r canucks 4 life! :canucks::canucks::canucks::canucks::canucks::canucks::canucks::canucks::towel:

The Sedins will retire as Canucks. They will never be traded. It would be a huge slap in the face to them, and everything they have done for the city and team.

I believe it is possible for the Sedins to go home and play for Modo when their NHL careers are over. However they will not ever be suiting up for another NHL team.

Definitely redundant as they'll be gone by 2017 back to MoDo (they'll sign a 1 year in 2014 then gone).

We'll be OK as Jensen, Gaunce and Schroeder will be in the line-up, Kassian will have improved to 3rd line duty, Evander Kane will have signed here at home and GMMG will have made a deal to make sure we have a number 1 centre by then, so no probs.

I would demand, (in todays market if they were in that hypothetical situation and we were trading them), from Pittsburgh

Crosby

Malkin

Neal

Letang

2 1sts

From Van

Sedin

Sedin

And if they didn't accept... they stay Canucks. :canucks:

No team will want them when they are 40 ish unless they are producing near the same rate they are now. And if that is the case they would try to get them as free agents or offer up little in return. Thats why, if they would stay, why you just keep them till they retire. Just look at Alfredson and Lidstrom. Sweeds seem to have a very strong sense of loyalty. If we even offered to trade them they would probably use thier NTC and or go back to Sweden. Please, as much as I love summer weather, can the season start so there are better things to discuss!!!!

Archived