The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why is Mike Gillis Demanding Nick Bjugstad From the Florida Panthers?

Sharpshooter

Whether the Canucks have the shallowest prospect pool or not, adding big, talented young players to the mix makes the most sense - if Doan does sign here, I could care less about getting a roster player in a deal, and Florida's prospects are far more interesting than their veterans anyway.

But really, what are the sources of these rumours.? Who leaked that MG told is demanding NBjugstad? What GM updates media regarding ongoing negotiations? Tallon told someone he offered Matthias and a 1st? Just as likely these are armchairs as they are GMs. I think these rumours are getting closer to what makes sense (at least the Komisarek talk is a thing of the past), but I take the accountabitlity with a grain of salt.

How about the Canucks win ONE Cup first, and worry about prospect depth later?

Seriously, we hear over and over about how this is a "destination franchise", which I find very hard to believe. What separates the Canucks from the Lakers, Steelers, or the Yankees? This little thing called TITLES. The Canucks haven't won one, in case you're not aware, in their 42-year existence, which is an appalling record, to say the least.

"A good chance to win the Cup on a regular basis" means nothing besides making the playoffs each year, and fooling yourself into thinking that you have a chance. I know that people will cite the LA Kings as an example of the 8th seed going all the way. But LA significantly shook up their roster last year, multiple times, and on paper they were always a stacked team. The guys happened to finally mesh together when it counts. Good for them, but it was a pretty rare event. 8th seeds winning championships are not the norm.

If we don't "mortgage the future", the Sedin's are just going to continue to age, and continue to decline in their effectiveness, until their contracts run out and they probably retire. And then, we're SCREWED. And people will be wishing/realizing that maybe Mike Gillis should have done a little more while to help out these two SUPERSTARS while they were in their primes, just like people wished/realized that Brian Burke should've been a little more aggressive in "mortgaging the future" back when the WCE was the best line in the NHL. The difference is, though, that Burke had FAR MORE constraints in that era than Gillis does now.

TBH, it's probably already too late, and this team's window has probably already shut, but I would still applaud/encourage Gillis to try and win now, not acquire some multi-year project like Bjugstad. Have we learned nothing from the Hodgson/Kassian error?

This is not 1999! We have a cap! We have unprecedented parity in the league! You can't load up on UFA's and trade the farm anymore, look at San Jose or Calgary! we are slowly becoming San Jose! What will San Jose do when Joe Stops producing?! Rebuild with lottery picks? Any franchise picking in the lottery has failed in epic fashion.

Why would a contending team that will likely be near the cap covet a player going to college next season?

How could that possibly help them this year?

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury - I'd like to submit "Exhibit A":

chris-kreider-story-getty.jpg

If Gillis' men marked him as the most desirable asset to be had from the Panters that's good enough, I suppose. Haven't seen him in action.

The win now or never (or not for a while) point is mute. Odds say we still ain't winning this year or the next, so might as well go with the plan that will see us make the playoffs every year, even without the Sedins, and hope we luck out at some point. LA lucked out, got hot at the right time, and nobody can tell me any differently. Don't even see them as a particularly good regular season team next year.

Back to Bjugs. Kind of sad, actually, that MG is having such a hard time snapping up a mere prospect (zero guarantees he'll turn out), and not even their best (Huberdau?), for a top-of-the-line goalie with at least 4 good years in him. Hope Mikey's learned his very expensive lesson about terms.

Do we want a young asset like Bjugstad even if he doesn't get into the lineup this year but next, at the earliest?

Could we be alright, with perhaps adding Doan to the lineup only, and not looking for a play making top 6 foward, in hopes and expectation that once Kesler gets back and is 'up to speed' again, we should be stronger than last year to make another long playoff run?

I like Bjugstad. No question that in my mind, this kid has top 6 potential written all over him...and with the likes of Kassian, Jensen, Gaunce, Schroeder, Tanev, Connauton, we have a decent young core to build around and add in, in the near future(1-2 seasons after this one finishes)

Is Gillis right to hold out for a young bluechip asset like Bjugstad then? Or should he get the best veteran from FLA, or TOR, or CHI, if he can from any of those teams, and only think about the season coming up as our last kick at the can?

Personally, I don't mind if his patience translates into a Bjugstad or similarly decent prospect (Howden?)

If Gillis' men marked him as the most desirable asset to be had from the Panters that's good enough, I suppose. Haven't seen him in action.

The win now or never (or not for a while) point is mute. Odds say we still ain't winning this year or the next, so might as well go with the plan that will see us make the playoffs every year, even without the Sedins, and hope we luck out at some point. LA lucked out, got hot at the right time, and nobody can tell me any differently. Don't even see them as a particularly good regular season team next year.

Back to Bjugs. Kind of sad, actually, that MG is having such a hard time snapping up a mere prospect (zero guarantees he'll turn out), and not even their best (Huberdau?), for a top-of-the-line goalie with at least 4 good years in him. Hope Mikey's learned his very expensive lesson about terms.

No, that's not the reason.

The OBVIOUS reason, that nobody besides me is seeing, is that LUONGO has all the power in this negotiation, and I suspect that he's told MG either Florida or Chicago. Gillis would obviously MUCH prefer to trade him to Florida, Tallon knows this, and he's basically going to squeeze every last ounce out of Gillis that he can (rightfully so) in the negotiaton, because he's not stupid, and can recognize that Gillis really holds zero leverage in this one, because of the wall that he backed himself into.

I'm not sure why that's so difficult for people to see.

Archived