The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why is Mike Gillis Demanding Nick Bjugstad From the Florida Panthers?

Sharpshooter

Why should Luongo act professional if Gillis doesn't?

Jordan Staal rejected a 10-year deal from Pittsburgh because he wanted to go play with his brother. Less than 24 hours later, he was traded there. That's how these things are dealt with; efficiently and effectively. Dragging this thing on and on and on will not benefit the Canucks in any way, and I'm frankly shocked that you think it will. Luongo's not getting younger. And how would it sound for Dale Tallon to say this to his season ticket holders:

Well, folks, we traded a 6'5", highly-touted 20 year-old 1st round pick for Vancouver's backup goaltender. Please, go renew your tickets. Now.

Any deal with Florida is going to have either Gudbrandson, Huberdeau or Bjugstad involved, as it should. Lou is a 30+ wins goalie per year for the next 4-5 years. If that does not get you a top prospect in the NHL, what will?

I am glad that MG is taking the hard line on this. If CS doesn't play well, we have an awesome backup.

You need to re-read what I said. It's not an excuse, it's just a fact. Do you honestly think teams find Datsyuks and Zetterbergs and Lidstroms in the later rounds every year?

Get real. The whole "Detroit model" thing is so overblown it's not even funny. Yes, Detroit has great scouts, but they got SUPER LUCKY when they picked one of the best defensemen of all time in the THIRD round. Datsyuk was drafted in the 5th round, and Zetterberg in the 7th. Are you serious?

If you look at the simple statistics, it becomes quite evident that drafting outside of the top 10-15 in the first round has always been a crap shoot. You get lucky sometimes, and sometimes you don't.

And what the hell is the second paragraph all about? Are you high?

Timestamp, your not wrong.

Even though Lou would be civil with Schneider, he does have a habit of sulking! Nobody should ever forget what happened after he got schlacked against in Chicago April 2011 and deserved to be pulled. We needed a change of pace, and went with Schneider to start game 6 which was a bold move by AV.It appeared Lou was going through a meltdown like he did the year before in the critical games. What happened was Luongo was sulking and feeling sorry for himself. So much so, he did not even come out and sit on the team bench. Hows that for being accountable to your team mates?

As history unfolded, Schneider cramped up, Lou finished the game and went on to play stirling in game 7; when we burried the hatchet against the Blackhawks!

But AV forgot that Lou needs a such a love tap every now and again. But Lou was lucky, was given the baton again when Schneider cramped and started to play superb. But he fell apart again in Boston. Yes I know, the team fell apart, it was by far not just Lou's part. But at that time he was the highest paid player in the world at $10 mill per season. Who can blame the fans for hoping he would play like a true star and rescue us?

And of course history repeats itself, and Schneider steals the show against L.A. Sure Lou is being civil, but he's still sulking.

Maybe Lou's attitude, in spite of his skills, is what separates him from being the champion he is capable of...

Maybe that's why the trade value is low?

Maybe the best thing for Lou is to battle for his spot, which seemed to bring him out of his funk in Chicago?

:huh:

Then maybe we would get better trade offers and a Stanley Cup?

Maybe, Maybe, Maybe, aggh, who knows :picard:

Yeah, Luongo and Schneider are friends, so I'm sure that Luongo would have no issue effectively killing his own career and rotting away on the bench until Mike Gillis is able to find "an acceptable return", which ain't gonna come. Seems reasonable, right? I mean, who wouldn't do something like that for their friends!

BTW - what exactly do you think's going to happen to Luongo's value if he actually starts the year on the Canucks and is our BACKUP? Do you really think that Roberto Luongo's value is going to somehow appreciate playing once every 10 games? He'll be the butt-end of jokes from fans around the league, and there'd be no GM out there who would want to touch him. And then, we're in Sheldon Souray territory. If Luongo isn't traded soon - within the month - it's going to get UGLY, that I can assure you. There's no upside to holding on to him, whatsoever. His value can and will only go DOWN.

Timestamp, your not wrong.

Even though Lou would be civil with Schneider, he does have a habit of sulking! Nobody should ever forget what happened after he got schlacked against in Chicago April 2011 and deserved to be pulled. We needed a change of pace, and went with Schneider to start game 6 which was a bold move by AV.It appeared Lou was going through a meltdown like he did the year before in the critical games. What happened was Luongo was sulking and feeling sorry for himself. So much so, he did not even come out and sit on the team bench. Hows that for being accountable to your team mates?

As history unfolded, Schneider cramped up, Lou finished the game and went on to play stirling in game 7; when we burried the hatchet against the Blackhawks!

But AV forgot that Lou needs a such a love tap every now and again. But Lou was lucky, was given the baton again when Schneider cramped and started to play superb. But he fell apart again in Boston. Yes I know, the team fell apart, it was by far not just Lou's part. But at that time he was the highest paid player in the world at $10 mill per season. Who can blame the fans for hoping he would play like a true star and rescue us?

actually he's entering his 3rd year this season with 1 more year of being eligible after that. So you may not see him for 2 more seasons especially considering he turned down a chance to play for the US Team Development Program (the one that Schroeder left high school early to play on,) so he could keep playing with his friends (and have a shot at the Minnesota State Championship.) So that said, he might turn down any offer (no matter which team has his rights) to leave school early if the Univ. of MN doesn't win an NCAA title next season.

I don't want to say that he absolutely will stay 2 seasons (even if he doesn't win a NCAA title) at the Univ. of MN... just clearing up that he COULD stay till the end of the 2014 season before coming to the NHL.

So how does that change things from a 'Nucks fans view point? Trading Lu away for a player that might not play for 2 more seasons?

Revisionist? Bull cookies!

The backup sits on the bench every game in Chicago, and every other arena. What a crock...

And $10 mill was the highest salary (salary not signing bonus) in the league at that time.

http://capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=683

gotta love revisionist history

Lu didnt come to the bench for two reasons, A) why subject him to that amount of abuse from the chicago fans and get them all riled up and into the game?

B) i think garett said (trying to remember 1+years ago now) that the benches in chicago are small and the goalie sits up where the trainers are and there isnt a whole lot of room.

but it sure sounds good to say he sulked in the bathroom with his blanky doensnt it?

he was never the highest paid player in the world he made 10mil for 1 season as a signing bonus he did not get that every year he earns 6.67 every year after that till he is around 38 then it tails off. Less than henrik lunqvist and pekka rinne.

but it sure sounds good to say that hes the highest paid player in the league doesnt it? are you sure you dont work for the vancouver province tabloid extremly-biased journalism is right up your ally.

on a side note bjustad is a late 1st round pick, if tallon cant even part with that (as good as bjustad has progressed) then he is not going to get a top10 starting goalie from the canucks.

I wouldn't mind Versteeg to be honest. Solid playoff addition. I'd still prefer it if we managed to pry Bjugstad. Although Versteeg is the better short term option and addition. Plus Tallon just re-signed him, so i'm not sure if he'd be willing to part with right away.

actually he's entering his 3rd year this season with 1 more year of being eligible after that. So you may not see him for 2 more seasons especially considering he turned down a chance to play for the US Team Development Program (the one that Schroeder left high school early to play on,) so he could keep playing with his friends (and have a shot at the Minnesota State Championship.) So that said, he might turn down any offer (no matter which team has his rights) to leave school early if the Univ. of MN doesn't win an NCAA title next season.

I don't want to say that he absolutely will stay 2 seasons (even if he doesn't win a NCAA title) at the Univ. of MN... just clearing up that he COULD stay till the end of the 2014 season before coming to the NHL.

So how does that change things from a 'Nucks fans view point? Trading Lu away for a player that might not play for 2 more seasons?

That's right, he does have another season after this upcoming of eligibility and there's always the chance he or whichever teams has him may decide it's better for him to stay another year.

I'd still be very glad to have him aboard, Mostly because I don't think at 21 he'd want to go back and play against 18 and 19 year olds. I think he could be of the mindset that it's time to get to the big dance. But, that's just speculation. He could stay too.

except the NCAA isn't just 18 and 19 year olds... and he'd probably be matched up with the other teams best players. A key point to this is that a new hockey conference will begin playing in 2013-2014 (his final year) that the Univ. of MN team will be part of. Not only will they be playing against Michigan, Michigan St. and Wisconsin (which they already do) a few times a season... but other teams that could translate into one of the hardest schedules (playing against more teams that qualify for the NCAA tournament and less teams that are "doormats" in their own conference.)

So that could translate into Nick staying as well to play against better teams more frequently. Now obviously if he wins a NCAA title this coming year and he looks like a man among boys... I don't see any reason for him to stick around college another year.

RUPER... I think with the 'Nucks "window" getting smaller every year with the twins, I think it would be a great insurance policy to get Nick even if he doesn't turn pro for 2 seasons. Once he gets into the NHL... he should jump right to a 2nd line role, and you'd be getting him at an entry level price (which could be HUGE depending on the CBA and when players can become UFA.) So I agree that it shouldn't matter if he doesn't come for 2 seasons.

I'd be fine with Bjugstad not playing another year. In the 2013-2014 year he could be our Couturier or B.Schenn. The Free Agent pool next Summer is also VERY good as well as the draft. I don't think OUR cup window is closing, it's just closing for some of our older players, not the team as a whole tho.

I'd be fine with Bjugstad not playing another year. In the 2013-2014 year he could be our Couturier or B.Schenn. The Free Agent pool next Summer is also VERY good as well as the draft. I don't think OUR cup window is closing, it's just closing for some of our older players, not the team as a whole tho.

Archived