The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

So my first idea was Ballard, Raymond and a 2013 1st for Yakupov but then I didn't want to be too mainstream CDC so I switched it up. This is a trade I would look into if we miss out on Doan, and if we don't get back a top six forward in the luongo deal. Haven't put too much thought into this one but here it goes...

To Vancouver

Hemsky

To Edmonton

Ballard

I know everyone throws ballard into trades like no other but I feel that both teams are trading away overpaid players that they no longer need. With all of the oilers up and coming forwards paying an injury prone Hemsky 5M per year hardly makes sense. Yakupov, Hall, Eberle, Smyth and maybe even Jones will compete to be top six wingers around Nuge and Gagner... So they would be replacing one of their many wingers for a top four D man.

The Canucks get the more talented player out of the trade but his injury history speaks for itself. Although Canucks are looking to get bigger, adding a pass first player to play with Keslers and Booths scoring abilities might ignite the line and would be too hard to resist.

Should these teams look into this after the Doan and Yandle sweepstakes are over?

So my first idea was Ballard, Raymond and a 2013 1st for Yakupov but then I didn't want to be too mainstream CDC so I switched it up. This is a trade I would look into if we miss out on Doan, and if we don't get back a top six forward in the luongo deal. Haven't put too much thought into this one but here it goes...

To Vancouver

Hemsky

To Edmonton

Ballard

I know everyone throws ballard into trades like no other but I feel that both teams are trading away overpaid players that they no longer need. With all of the oilers up and coming forwards paying an injury prone Hemsky 5M per year hardly makes sense. Yakupov, Hall, Eberle, Smyth and maybe even Jones will compete to be top six wingers around Nuge and Gagner... So they would be replacing one of their many wingers for a top four D man.

The Canucks get the more talented player out of the trade but his injury history speaks for itself. Although Canucks are looking to get bigger, adding a pass first player to play with Keslers and Booths scoring abilities might ignite the line and would be too hard to resist.

Should these teams look into this after the Doan and Yandle sweepstakes are over?

Hemsky's too predictable in terms of how he plays (high risk dangles and soft, skill-based and passing game without shooting enough). He could really benefit the 2nd line but he costs a lot salary-wise and could cost the team even more if he gets injured (he costs $5M). I'd rather see if there is a player who could shoot AND pass than someone who is almost always exclusively pass.

Ballard could probably still bring a hardier, more playoff-oriented player with grit, or better yet sign Shane Doan.

Hemsky is fragile and not a soft perimeter player. That's why he's hurt so much. He actually needs to start playing a little softer.

As for the trade. Hemsky may be overpaid at 5M but it's a short term deal. His contract expires the same year as RNH's. The Oilers would also be selling extremely low. Hemsky has been a just under point per game player every year since the lockout except for last year. One year and all is forgotten? Not for me. He gets another chance. If he plays the way he's capable of, a 65-75 point RWer isn't a bad player to have on the 2nd line. You don't give up Hemsky for a bottom pairing Dman.

Archived