http://lastwordonspo...eeds-vancouver/

#332 kloubek

kloubek

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:09 AM

But I still remember the Sundin experiment and wonder how Canuck nation will handle a 7.5 mil Doan wearing

They won't handle it at all, because if Doan somehow ends up coming here I guarantee he will not be paid more than a Sedin.

6m tops. And I don't think Gillis would even want that.
Biggest Canucks Fan this Side of the Rockies.

#333 tas

tas

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:11 AM

If Doan becomes a Canuck he'll be getting the Sedin-treatment, and deservedly so. He is a rich-man's Burrows and with a bit of time, would develop some serious chemistry with the twins. He is basically much tougher and has better hands than Burrows, who only has speed and skating over Doan, which would be better suited to our other lines.

Sedin - Sedin - Doan (perfect fit for the twins, should produce 70 goals)
Booth - Kesler - Higgins (great chemistry AMEX line, good for 70 goals)
Burrows - Lapierre - Hansen (Burr and Lappy showed instant French-Canadien chemistry in their stint last season)
Raymond - Malhotra - Kassian (good mix of speed, skill, size, toughness, experience and youth)

That's probably the best forward group in the NHL from top to bottom. Not as great high-end talent as say Pittsburgh, but far deeper than any squad in the league when you have essentially 7 likely 20-goal scorers (Sedin, Doan, Booth, Kesler, Higgins, Burrows, Hansen) and 3 guys on the 15ish goal cusp (Raymond, Lapierre and Henrik) with the wild-card Kassian who could jump up too. Scary depth up front.

if that top line only produces 70 goals it would be a spectacular failure. 75 should be considered an absolute minimum (daniel 35, henrik 15, doan 25) and optimally more like 90 (daniel 40, henrik 20, doan 30).

Shane Doan would definetly improve the Canucks but it ain't gonna be cheap. His cap hit would equal Hamhuis and Edlers combined. It's to bad Kassian or Jensen aren't ready to be that power forward the Canucks need. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see it happen and hope he scores 40 goals with the Sedin's and prevents the Browns, Bollands and Marchants of the league from taking liberties on the twins. But I still remember the Sundin experiment and wonder how Canuck nation will handle a 7.5 mil Doan wearing #18 with 18 goals and 18 assist trying to find chemistry with Kesler and Booth cause once again Burrowd was better with the Sedin's.

you think doan is going to get $7.75 mil per year?

#334 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,268 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:14 AM

sedin sedin doan would probably get to the triple digits in goals produced.

#335 Tangerines

Tangerines

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:14 AM

An argument for why the Canucks are the best fit for Doan

http://lastwordonspo...eeds-vancouver/

Great article. Makes too much sense. Plz sign already Shane!

#336 tas

tas

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,004 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:17 AM

sedin sedin doan would probably get to the triple digits in goals produced.

that's incredibly unlikely.

#337 CanuckRow

CanuckRow

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:40 AM

MAKE UP YOUR GOD DAMN MIND!
Posted Image

#338 Hockey Fever

Hockey Fever

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,786 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:27 PM

Our luck is never this good, i just get a funny feeling he won't sign here.

Posted Image

NHL Wikipedia : Operates Major Ice Hockey League known for predetermining Stanley Cup winners and rampant corrupt officiating

"I would love for (the Canucks) to win the Stanley Cup because that would put to bed all the talk about 1994", he says facetiously".
Nathan Lafayette on hitting the post in game seven of the Stanley Cup.

#339 Mauii

Mauii

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:42 PM

If he's in it for the big dollars...he best go with a lesser team. If he's looking for fair value, all things considered on a good team then I'd be interested in signing him. Just depends where his motivation/priority lies.

On a shorter term, equal to or less then Sedin $/cap for a longer term less then Sedin $/cap. If I were Doan, I'd go for a lesser term/higher pay, and if things continue to go well renewal can be in the cards for same value if not more.

Edited by Mauii, 06 August 2012 - 01:46 PM.

"For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil."

#340 menace

menace

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:50 PM

This is treading into Sundin territory.

#341 Jinx_RK17

Jinx_RK17

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:03 PM

I thought Doan wanted to stay in the West? Or is that somebody else i'm thinking of. Don't quote me on it but I thought he said he was staying in the west lol

Change of heart i guess? I hope rangers don't get em. A lot of people are spectacle of Doan signing here but if Burr can be as amazing as he is with the Sedins and the Canucks, imagine what a guy like Doan can do in the green in blue! ( Not taking anything away from Burrows, he's come a LONG way) Doan is a solid player, sure he's not worth what he's asking but he's still good regardless. The potential he shows with a team like the yotes who is missing bits and pieces everywhere and still produces what he does. All im saying is, on a pretty solid stack team with back to back pres trophies and a stanley cup game 7 final. I can see him doing work! Be hopeful guys!

#342 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,784 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:50 PM

This is treading into Sundin territory.

Fortunately, the Sundin scenario ended well for us -- we acquired the player. I'm still unsure whether Doan will decide to represent Vancouver next season.

Edited by WeatherWise, 06 August 2012 - 02:50 PM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#343 That Commentator

That Commentator

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:59 PM

They won't handle it at all, because if Doan somehow ends up coming here I guarantee he will not be paid more than a Sedin.

6m tops. And I don't think Gillis would even want that.

Agreed... 7.5 mil per is just ridiculously high. People seem to think that signing Doan is our only chance to achieve success, and hoping that management will just dish out whatever it costs. That is absolutely absurd. You cannot pin the entire success (or failure) of a team on a single (declining) player. Doan is great, and I love what he brings. I think he has a lot to contribute, but there is such a thing as paying too much.

Thankfully, I believe Doan has stated that he considers winning to be more important than the money, and Gilman has said that a 7.5 mil per contract would be a deal breaker. So hopefully he sees Vancouver as having a good shot, and he sees Vancouver as the best fit for his family. All we can do is "hope", and recognize that this is mainly up to Doan, his family and his agent. Either way, if he doesn't sign here I'm sure there will be tons of threads calling for Gillis' head, even if he signs a 7.5 mil/year contract elsewhere.

#344 Kesheniel

Kesheniel

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:23 PM

All the people here saying we should offer the 30 million, 4 year deal need to get their heads checked. He is not worth a million more than the Sedins. Especially now that he is 35 which means if he retires his contract will stay on the books... Come on guys... What a blow to our system that would be. That would weaken our team for sure.

#345 Kesheniel

Kesheniel

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:23 PM

Double post

Edited by Kesheniel, 07 August 2012 - 01:25 PM.

#346 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:27 PM

All the people here saying we should offer the 30 million, 4 year deal need to get their heads checked. He is not worth a million more than the Sedins. Especially now that he is 35 which means if he retires his contract will stay on the books... Come on guys... What a blow to our system that would be. That would weaken our team for sure.

I took your advice and went to the Doctor to get my head checked as you suggested. After a thorough examination he said that I am fine and that I should stop going onto message boards and if not stop taking everything they say as true. Thanks man, helped me out.

Edited by hsedin33, 07 August 2012 - 01:29 PM.

#347 Canucksin2013

Canucksin2013

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:23 PM

Heres the thing.

If you believe Doan is the missing piece to win the cup.... I really don't care how much he sucks and hurts the team in years 3 and 4. If we win a cup with him in year 1, its worth it to hurt the cap for two years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.