The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Shane Doan is in Van today meeting with Canucks

Southpop45

I really hope the Canucks don't sign Shane Doan.

He's old, his production is decreasing.

Why we would pay above 4 and a half million when Jagr signed for 4.5 million.

We really don't need another old player.

I'm gonna get flamed for this I already know, it's just my opinion.

You guys are so freaking short cited.

When 2014-15 comes around and we have a 37 year old Doan coming off a 15 goal, 33 point season on contract for 2 more years at 6 million a year (in a much reduced cap thanks to a new CBA), these same posters will be calling for his head.

I don't think Vancouver (proj. average is 28 years old for 2013 Season) has such a young team that we need a 35 year old veteran .We have enough veteran players.The numbers thrown around for Doan is something a team who lost out on Parise, Suter or Webber are going to pay I say he goes to Philly or Pitts. Hopefully not here.He is a class act and a great Canadian but I rather save that money and see what the new CBA looks like.

You guys are so freaking short cited.

When 2014-15 comes around and we have a 37 year old Doan coming off a 15 goal, 33 point season on contract for 2 more years at 6 million a year (in a much reduced cap thanks to a new CBA), these same posters will be calling for his head.

I'm just giving you narrow-minded, tunnel-visionned fans another perspective and way to think of the situation. People on these boards rarely think of the big picture and need to analyze events a bit deeper. Don't just look at Doan as a great, hard working player and say "I WANT HIM", think like a rational adult the way MG is and keep the team in mind.

You think the Canucks have no powerforwards in their top 6? Go tell that to the hard-hitting, gritty forechecking wingers like Booth and Higgins who IMO out-played Doan last season despite injuries. Go tell that to Burrows who was one of the only players along with Perry in the last few seasons to rack up as many goals and PIMs as he did. Go tell that to Kesler who won a Selke and is pretty much the definition of a power forward.

And that's not even mentioning guys like Lapierre, Hansen and Kassian who are just as much powerforwards as the other 4 out of our top-6.

People have said he is not the type to chase the money (his actions in Phoenix have proven that)... so I expect the $30 million, 4yr rumour is only what some team has offered, and not what he is demanding.

If he wants to sign here for a 3 year, $5-5.5 million per contract then I would be exceedingly happy to have him. If it is a matter of outbidding someone else and spending more than $6 million per year then we should bow out.

What all this bidding does tell you is that there are a whole lot of teams not happy with their rosters. Gillis was probably right in that there will be a secondary trade market once all this blows over and there aren't any more free agents out there to chase.

If we did get Doan it allows Gillis to save a little face in getting less for Luongo... he can say that we filled our need for a top 6 forward so organizationally were able to let Luongo go for less.

If Doan does not re-sign with PHO, the
in the mix big time to land his services.

twitter-icon-sports_normal.png

As we told you 1st last night - Shane Doan meeting with the
in Vancouver last night.

Sorry for double post, but from hockey magazine @NHLTimes:

- Doan has been in BC due to the Blazers since last weekend. They spoke formally for the first time last weekend, and [yesterday] was their second.

- Canucks are in the lead for Doan's services as both sides believe it's a great fit

- Doan has gone farther with the Canucks than other teams, meeting with players and all of management

- Doan wasn't planning on coming back to Vancouver for a visit for a while but "new, interesting developments" piqued his interest

Reading some of the posts here and in the past about players and what they are worth - saying don't pay over $6 million for example - so say we offer him $5.5 and he counters with $6.2 and we say no - he then signs with say the Flyers for $6.2 and the Flyers win the cup. Wow - more a measely $700 thousand (compared to what these players make overall) we could have had him and maybe we would have won the cup?

Reading some of the posts here and in the past about players and what they are worth - saying don't pay over $6 million for example - so say we offer him $5.5 and he counters with $6.2 and we say no - he then signs with say the Flyers for $6.2 and the Flyers win the cup. Wow - more a measely $700 thousand (compared to what these players make overall) we could have had him and maybe we would have won the cup?

Archived