46 replies to this topic

#1 canuckbeliever

canuckbeliever

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,900 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:43 PM

I have been told both by different individuals. I know the general way people attempt to calculate is by dividing there gpa by the scale and then converting it to the other scale but I have been told this is incorrect

#2 Hyzer

Hyzer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:44 PM

4.33 is equivalent to an A+, whereas 4.0 is an A.

edit: I think your GPA is higher on a 4.33.

Edited by hyZar, 31 July 2012 - 09:44 PM.

#3 canuckbeliever

canuckbeliever

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,900 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:54 PM

??????/

#4 canucks.bradley

canucks.bradley

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,415 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:59 PM

ur gpa is generally higher on a 4.33 scale. ie. your gpa decreases when going from a 4.33 to a 4.0 scale
Posted Image
3000th post - September, 2010

K guys I nd hlp fast. Im @ a girls I rly like & txtng from my iphone. I did a #2 in the bathroom and it plugged, water is almost overflowing toilet. Srsly I dunno wut 2 do somebody help!

Watch Bowness somehow mess up Tampa Bay's already amazing 2 powerplay units...he'll probably tell Stamkos to do drop passes from centre ice, take him out from the faceoff dot, and place him infront of the goalie :lol:

#5 canuckbeliever

canuckbeliever

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,900 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:59 PM

4.33 is equivalent to an A+, whereas 4.0 is an A.

edit: I think your GPA is higher on a 4.33.

By that criteria 4.33 would be lower

#6 canuckbeliever

canuckbeliever

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,900 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:33 PM

The reason I ask all of this is because I am two years into uni and want to see how much I need to up my game go to law school. Have a CGPA of 3.06 in first two so far

Edited by canuckbeliever, 31 July 2012 - 10:47 PM.

#7 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:35 PM

4.33 > 4
Therefore a GPA of 4.33 is infact greated than a GPA of 4.
Posted Image

#8 iLLmAtlc

iLLmAtlc

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:36 PM

It basically depends on the distribution of your grades and how the conversions work. For example how does a 3.67 get converted to a 4.0 scale? From what I've seen 3.67's just become A-'s and get converted to 3.7 and the only significant difference is 4.33 becomes 4.00. So if you have even one 4.33 your gpa will generally drop.

PS are you asking because of law school admissions? To figure it out you have to convert every single grade you have from 4.33 to a 4.00 scale.

E: So it is law school. 3.06 is quite a bit off than what you need to be competitive at every school I can think of, regardless of scale. You're going to need to pick up the slack and get yourself into the 3.7-3.8 range, the higher the better to have a shot at schools.

For example U of Alberta looks at your most recent 60 credits only, so it's not too late.

If you have any other questions please let me know because I've taken the LSAT and will be looking to apply this fall.

Edited by iLLmAtlc, 31 July 2012 - 10:44 PM.

Posted Image

#9 NikiShiz

NikiShiz

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:45 PM

Just some extra information.... In terms of GPA needed for law school, the majority of law schools in Canada (NOT ALL) look at either your last two years, top two years or last 3 years ( in addition to 160+ LSAT score). You should be aiming for 3.6 (A-) and above just to be safe, you have 2 years left so I'm sure thats do-able. Only a few schools look at your raw GPA (all 4 years) for admission ( although they do look at your entire academic record). UBC on the other hand looks at your entire average minus your 12 worst credits. You can double check with every school just to make sure. :)

From my understanding American schools look at your entire undergraduate GPA so you will definitely have to raise it if you want to get into tier 1 American Law Schools.

Best of luck!
Posted Image
NikiShiz

#10 canuckbeliever

canuckbeliever

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,900 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:45 PM

It basically depends on the distribution of your grades and how the conversions work. For example how does a 3.67 get converted to a 4.0 scale? From what I've seen 3.67's just become A-'s and get converted to 3.7 and the only significant difference is 4.33 becomes 4.00. So if you have even one 4.33 your gpa will generally drop.

PS are you asking because of law school admissions? To figure it out you have to convert every single grade you have from 4.33 to a 4.00 scale.

E: So it is law school. 3.06 is quite a bit off than what you need to be competitive at every school I can think of. You're going to need to pick up the slack and get yourself into the 3.7-3.8 range, the higher the better to have a shot at schools.

For example U of Alberta looks at your most recent 60 credits only, so it's not too late.

If you have any other questions please let me know because I've taken the LSAT and will be looking to apply this fall.

Yeah Calgary and Australia are currently my best shot right now.

#11 NikiShiz

NikiShiz

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:48 PM

E: So it is law school. 3.06 is quite a bit off than what you need to be competitive at every school I can think of, regardless of scale. You're going to need to pick up the slack and get yourself into the 3.7-3.8 range, the higher the better to have a shot at schools.

Ah I'm taking the LSAT in October, and December if necessary...I hope not though lol! When did you do the LSAT?
Posted Image
NikiShiz

#12 canuckbeliever

canuckbeliever

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,900 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:49 PM

Definetly know that. I had a crap first year and then my gpa went up exponentially (primarily due to a semesters of 3..3 and then 3.5)but now its stagnated in 3 area for last 2 semesters. Thank god I will only be done 19 courses after this semester. Next 2 years will be pretty hectic

#13 iLLmAtlc

iLLmAtlc

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:51 PM

Yeah Calgary and Australia are currently my best shot right now.

Well don't sell yourself too short yet. How are your grades generally distributed? For example are they mostly B's, or did you have a semester of C's or so dragging you down?

If it's the latter, do not fret too much, you have plenty of time to make up ground. Reason I say that is because schools that use your cGPA for admissions all drop some of your worst credits.* At UBC they drop 12 and UVic they drop 18(!), so your GPA is a bit better, maybe a lot better than 3.06 right now depending on the circumstances.

* Outside of U of Ottawa which is allegedly very non-drops cGPA centric, and maybe McGill but I might be mistaken. McGill was way outside of my league so I haven't really kept up. >_>

Edited by iLLmAtlc, 31 July 2012 - 10:54 PM.

Posted Image

#14 canuckbeliever

canuckbeliever

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,900 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:56 PM

Well don't sell yourself too short yet. How are your grades generally distributed? For example are they mostly B's, or did you have a semester of C's or so dragging you down?

If it's the latter, do not fret too much, you have plenty of time to make up ground. Reason I say that is because schools that use your cGPA for admissions all drop some of your worst credits. At UBC they drop 12 and UVic they drop 18(!), so your GPA is a bit better, maybe a lot better than 3.06 right now depending on the circumstances.

2c+'s
2B-
6B's
4B+
1A
1A-

This semester should be in between 3-3.33 with 3 courses

#15 iLLmAtlc

iLLmAtlc

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:58 PM

Ah I'm taking the LSAT in October, and December if necessary...I hope not though lol! When did you do the LSAT?

I did mine Feb '12, after chickening out for December. Feb is definitely not ideal since it's the only sitting where they don't show you which ones you got right or wrong. Best of luck for October!

Definetly know that. I had a crap first year and then my gpa went up exponentially (primarily due to a semesters of 3..3 and then 3.5)but now its stagnated in 3 area for last 2 semesters. Thank god I will only be done 19 courses after this semester. Next 2 years will be pretty hectic

I had a similar crappy 1st 2 semesters (C's, some B's) but I expect to be competitive for every school I apply to this fall (hoping for UBC so I don't have to move lol). Definitely still very early in the game for you, so don't fret too much man.
Posted Image

#16 iLLmAtlc

iLLmAtlc

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:01 PM

2c+'s
2B-
6B's
4B+
1A
1A-

This semester should be in between 3-3.33 with 3 courses

I see. Well the current distribution isn't most ideal, but it's far from killer. Do know that you're going to have start putting some A's to be competitive in Canada though (assuming if you don't score in the 99th percentile in the LSAT or something).

Edited by iLLmAtlc, 31 July 2012 - 11:05 PM.

Posted Image

#17 NikiShiz

NikiShiz

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:03 PM

I did mine Feb '12, after chickening out for December. Feb is definitely not ideal since it's the only sitting where they don't show you which ones you got right or wrong. Best of luck for October!

Did you take any LSAT Prep courses?
Posted Image
NikiShiz

#18 canuckbeliever

canuckbeliever

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,900 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:07 PM

I see. Well the current distribution isn't most ideal, but it's far from killer. Do know that you're going to have start putting some A's to be competitive in Canada though.

Ya for sure. Like I said I understand right now I have maybe 2-3 options tops.

What do you think I will realistically need ona 4.33 in next 2 years to give myself options

Edited by canuckbeliever, 31 July 2012 - 11:08 PM.

#19 iLLmAtlc

iLLmAtlc

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:07 PM

Nope it was 5 months of solid self-prep for me. I used the Powerscore bibles, a few of the LSAC prep test books and the most recent prep tests bought online in PDF format.

Are you using the previously administered questions released as prep tests? That is probably by far the single most important aspect of studying IMO.

What do you think I will realistically need ona 4.33 to get in in next 2 years or so

Hmm, admissions seem to be getting more competitive by the year, so it's hard to forecast too accurately in 2-3 years when you will be applying. If I were to guess though I'd say or 3.7-3.8 for your last 2 years, combine that with the 12-18 drops you are going to get, you should have a pretty competitive GPA.

It will also depend greatly on your LSAT (worth 50% of your admission statistics at most schools, GPA being the other 50% of course) so far too early to tell for certain.

Edited by iLLmAtlc, 31 July 2012 - 11:11 PM.

Posted Image

#20 VoiceOfReason_

VoiceOfReason_

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:13 PM

NikkiShiz: We get it. You're taking your LSAT. Does it need to be posted all over the forums?

#21 NikiShiz

NikiShiz

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:17 PM

Nope it was 5 months of solid self-prep for me. I used the Powerscore bibles, a few of the LSAC prep test books and the most recent prep tests bought online in PDF format.

Are you using the previously administered questions released as prep tests? That is probably by far the single most important aspect of studying IMO.

I've signed up for the Kaplan prep test and have all the LSAT questions ever released lol. I hope 2 months of prep will be sufficient for the October test. I really don't want to do the December exam. We'll see how it goes! I've heard a lot about the powerscore bible, in particular for the logic games section. I think I'm going to buy that one.
Posted Image
NikiShiz

#22 canuckbeliever

canuckbeliever

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,900 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:18 PM

NikkiShiz: We get it. You're taking your LSAT. Does it need to be posted all over the forums?

Lol get a grip you idiot. We are discussing Law school requirements/etc

#23 NikiShiz

NikiShiz

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:18 PM

First, its NIKIShiz and second, I am not posting it all over the forum...this is the first post I've made in a topic regarding it. ALSO I didn't even start the thread. Whats your problem?
Posted Image
NikiShiz

#24 iLLmAtlc

iLLmAtlc

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:22 PM

Dude was probably just trolling, I'd ignore him.

I've signed up for the Kaplan prep test and have all the LSAT questions ever released lol. I hope 2 months of prep will be sufficient for the October test. I really don't want to do the December exam. We'll see how it goes! I've heard a lot about the powerscore bible, in particular for the logic games section. I think I'm going to buy that one.

Oh good stuff. I haven't tried Kaplan myself but yeah the LG bible is definitely awesome, outside of their method for Pure Sequencing games. The A-B (as in A goes before B ) method is a lot better than the system Powerscore came up with IMO.

Are you still in school? I can't imagine what it'd be like worrying about the LSAT and finals at the same time (since I chickened out in November lol).

E: Also from what I've seen I think 2 months would be on the lower end of the amount of time people usually take for what it's worth.

Edited by iLLmAtlc, 31 July 2012 - 11:24 PM.

Posted Image

#25 NikiShiz

NikiShiz

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:24 PM

Dude was probably just trolling.

Oh good stuff. I haven't tried Kaplan myself but yeah the LG bible is definitely awesome, outside of their method for Pure Sequencing games. The A-B (as in A goes before B) method is a lot better than the system Powerscore came up with IMO.

Are you still in school? I can't imagine what it'd be like worrying about the LSAT and finals at the same time (since I chickened out in November lol).

E: Also from what I've seen I think 2 months would be on the lower end of the amount of time people usually take for what it's worth.

Yes I'm still in school, just a few courses to complete graduation! I'm only taking two courses this fall and I hope things don't get heavy till later in the term. Where did you go to school if you don't mind me asking? :)
Posted Image
NikiShiz

#26 iLLmAtlc

iLLmAtlc

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:27 PM

I went to SFU, majored in criminology. You?

Edited by iLLmAtlc, 31 July 2012 - 11:27 PM.

Posted Image

#27 Zoolander

Zoolander

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:27 PM

What percentage qualifies as a 4.33? I'm usually in the low to mid 90's (%) is that just a 4.00 or is it higher? That would make my day if it was a 4.33 instead :P
My 2014 Draft wishlist: 1st rd: Draisaitl, Virtanen, Scherbak. 2nd rd: Brendan Lemieux, Thatcher Demko (Goalie)
Posted Image
Future Canucks top 6:
Shinkaruk-Draisaitl-Scherbak
Virtanen-Horvat-Jensen

#28 NikiShiz

NikiShiz

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,173 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:29 PM

UBC Political Science! :) Good luck with your applications! You're lucky you're done all the hard work!
Posted Image
NikiShiz

#29 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,314 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:36 PM

LAW SCHOOL REQUIREMENT: B+ average, no desire to maintain a healthy family / home life, a strong tolerance for expensive liquor

rsz_mad_men.jpg

le temps restitué

#30 iLLmAtlc

iLLmAtlc

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:37 PM

UBC Political Science! :) Good luck with your applications! You're lucky you're done all the hard work!

Thanks, no kidding. Every day that passes and I don't have to worry about LSAT prep is a good day in my books.

...On that note go get 'em in October!

Edited by iLLmAtlc, 31 July 2012 - 11:38 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.