The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is your GPA higher on a 4.33 or 4

canuckbeliever

It basically depends on the distribution of your grades and how the conversions work. For example how does a 3.67 get converted to a 4.0 scale? From what I've seen 3.67's just become A-'s and get converted to 3.7 and the only significant difference is 4.33 becomes 4.00. So if you have even one 4.33 your gpa will generally drop.

PS are you asking because of law school admissions? To figure it out you have to convert every single grade you have from 4.33 to a 4.00 scale.

E: So it is law school. 3.06 is quite a bit off than what you need to be competitive at every school I can think of, regardless of scale. You're going to need to pick up the slack and get yourself into the 3.7-3.8 range, the higher the better to have a shot at schools.

For example U of Alberta looks at your most recent 60 credits only, so it's not too late.

If you have any other questions please let me know because I've taken the LSAT and will be looking to apply this fall.

Just some extra information.... In terms of GPA needed for law school, the majority of law schools in Canada (NOT ALL) look at either your last two years, top two years or last 3 years ( in addition to 160+ LSAT score). You should be aiming for 3.6 (A-) and above just to be safe, you have 2 years left so I'm sure thats do-able. Only a few schools look at your raw GPA (all 4 years) for admission ( although they do look at your entire academic record). UBC on the other hand looks at your entire average minus your 12 worst credits. You can double check with every school just to make sure. :)

From my understanding American schools look at your entire undergraduate GPA so you will definitely have to raise it if you want to get into tier 1 American Law Schools.

Best of luck!

It basically depends on the distribution of your grades and how the conversions work. For example how does a 3.67 get converted to a 4.0 scale? From what I've seen 3.67's just become A-'s and get converted to 3.7 and the only significant difference is 4.33 becomes 4.00. So if you have even one 4.33 your gpa will generally drop.

PS are you asking because of law school admissions? To figure it out you have to convert every single grade you have from 4.33 to a 4.00 scale.

E: So it is law school. 3.06 is quite a bit off than what you need to be competitive at every school I can think of. You're going to need to pick up the slack and get yourself into the 3.7-3.8 range, the higher the better to have a shot at schools.

For example U of Alberta looks at your most recent 60 credits only, so it's not too late.

If you have any other questions please let me know because I've taken the LSAT and will be looking to apply this fall.

E: So it is law school. 3.06 is quite a bit off than what you need to be competitive at every school I can think of, regardless of scale. You're going to need to pick up the slack and get yourself into the 3.7-3.8 range, the higher the better to have a shot at schools.

Well don't sell yourself too short yet. How are your grades generally distributed? For example are they mostly B's, or did you have a semester of C's or so dragging you down?

If it's the latter, do not fret too much, you have plenty of time to make up ground. Reason I say that is because schools that use your cGPA for admissions all drop some of your worst credits. At UBC they drop 12 and UVic they drop 18(!), so your GPA is a bit better, maybe a lot better than 3.06 right now depending on the circumstances.

Nope it was 5 months of solid self-prep for me. I used the Powerscore bibles, a few of the LSAC prep test books and the most recent prep tests bought online in PDF format.

Are you using the previously administered questions released as prep tests? That is probably by far the single most important aspect of studying IMO.

What do you think I will realistically need ona 4.33 to get in in next 2 years or so

Archived