The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CBC wins rights to 2014, 2016 Olympic Games

Opmac

Horrible. Absolutely horrible.

Never mind that the CBC is dying in finances and just laid off 10% of its crew, but their coverage and analysis is already subpar compared to other media giants like the consortium.

The only redeeming factor in all this is that Jim Hughson will be calling hockey games.

FREE HD channels included with Digital Basic

• 3D Preview Channel

• APTN HD

• Aquarium Channel HD

• CBC News Network HD

• CityNews Channel HD

• Citytv Vancouver HD

• CTS HD

• CTV HD British Columbia

• CTV Two Toronto HD

• CTV HD Toronto (CTVTO)

• HD ABC Buffalo (WKBW)

• HD CBC Toronto (CBLT)

• HD CBC Vancouver

• HD CBS Buffalo (WIVB)

• HD CHCH

• HD Citytv Toronto

• HD FOX Buffalo (WUTV)

• HD Global BC

• HD Global Toronto (CIII)

• HD NBC Buffalo (WGRZ)

• HD OMNI.1

• HD OMNI.2

• HD Pay Per View 1

• HD Pay Per View 2

• HD PBS Buffalo (WNED)

• HD SRC Toronto (CBLFT)

• NFL Network HD

• OWN HD

• RDI HD

• Rogers TV HD

• Sportsnet East HD

• Sportsnet Ontario HD

• Sportsnet Pacific HD

• Sportsnet West HD

• Sportsnews HD

• Sunset Channel HD

• Télé-Québec HD

• TFO HD

• The Shopping Channel HD

• TV5 HD

• TVA HD

• The Weather Network HD

• V HD

• W Network HD

• YTV HD (East)

TSN is in the HDTV SPECIALTY PACK for $10.10/month

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! CTV/SN/TSN had 3 channels on a basic cable package that showed multiple events. Last time CBC had the Olympics 3 Canadian gold medals, and 6 total medals were not shown live.

CTV has shown every medal won live this year and 2010.

This is horrible, the only positive I see from this is Jim Hughson, that's it.

Now we will have to listen to guys like Kevin Weekes be horrendous on an international level. Also don't get me started on Ron Maclean, PJ Stock, and Mike Millbury.

Why didn't they just stick with Bell Media (along with SN), I mean they sponsor the Canadians in the Olympics anyways.

I don't think it's all that bad. I'm kinda glad the publicly funded and owned broadcaster will be able to use this as a source of revenue to sell parts off to private industry in order to stabilize its own funding shortfalls, thanks in large part to the head up ass conservative federal gov't.

I don't mind if they take on hockey, curling, speed-skating and hand over other event coverage to CTV, Sportsnet and TSN,or give hockey to TSN or the highest bidder, as it's the most valuable revenue generator.

Not good at all. CBC has ONE channel in all basic cable packages. Last time they had the Olympics they put a bunch of really important Canadian events on their on channels like CBC Bold. These channels were only in about 2 million Canadian households.

Compare this to the CTV coverage that had: CTV, SN, TSN, and OLN all available in basic cable packages, and with 3 of them available to at least 25 million Canadians.

I don't think it's all that bad. I'm kinda glad the publicly funded and owned broadcaster will be able to use this as a source of revenue to sell parts off to private industry in order to stabilize its own funding shortfalls, thanks in large part to the head up ass conservative federal gov't.

I don't mind if they take on hockey, curling, speed-skating and hand over other event coverage to CTV, Sportsnet and TSN,or give hockey to TSN or the highest bidder, as it's the most valuable revenue generator.

CBC cut about 450 jobs this year, and they're going to cut more (projected altogether about 600 jobs or so). Are you going to tell me that the level of coverage and analysis will be that of the Bell/Rogers alliance founded 2 years ago?

Of course, it's even more absurd to consider the idea of CBC winning the bid for the Olympics, and then selling off its largest moneymaker to TSN. Tell me - the Olympics being in Sochi, how many people will actually care for the Rochettes, Montgomeries, or the Kevin Martins this time around?

I do recall some of their Beijing Olympics coverage being featured on TSN. Vic Rauter covered fencing for TSN while Russ Anber provided commentary for the boxing events. I'm quite positive a similar arrangement will be made for the 2014 Olympics.

Nooooo! This is terrible news. CTV's coverage has been vastly superior. When it was on CBC I always ended up missing out on several of my favourite sports (particularly in the summer Olympics) simply because they were not broadcasted.

Archived