Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

CBC wins rights to 2014, 2016 Olympic Games

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
44 replies to this topic

#31 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:42 PM

I don't think it's all that bad. I'm kinda glad the publicly funded and owned broadcaster will be able to use this as a source of revenue to sell parts off to private industry in order to stabilize its own funding shortfalls, thanks in large part to the head up ass conservative federal gov't.

I don't mind if they take on hockey, curling, speed-skating and hand over other event coverage to CTV, Sportsnet and TSN,or give hockey to TSN or the highest bidder, as it's the most valuable revenue generator.

Edited by Sharpshooter, 01 August 2012 - 08:42 PM.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#32 Honeydews

Honeydews

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,088 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

The only good thing about this is Jim hughson might do a hockey game in Russia. But TSN CTV Sportsnet are all doing a amazing job. Does that mean there's gonna be a different Olympic song?
Posted ImagePosted Image
Credit to pwnstar for this amazing kesler sig :)

#33 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:01 PM

Not good at all. CBC has ONE channel in all basic cable packages. Last time they had the Olympics they put a bunch of really important Canadian events on their on channels like CBC Bold. These channels were only in about 2 million Canadian households.

Compare this to the CTV coverage that had: CTV, SN, TSN, and OLN all available in basic cable packages, and with 3 of them available to at least 25 million Canadians.

#34 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:02 PM

I don't think it's all that bad. I'm kinda glad the publicly funded and owned broadcaster will be able to use this as a source of revenue to sell parts off to private industry in order to stabilize its own funding shortfalls, thanks in large part to the head up ass conservative federal gov't.

I don't mind if they take on hockey, curling, speed-skating and hand over other event coverage to CTV, Sportsnet and TSN,or give hockey to TSN or the highest bidder, as it's the most valuable revenue generator.

CBC cut about 450 jobs this year, and they're going to cut more (projected altogether about 600 jobs or so). Are you going to tell me that the level of coverage and analysis will be that of the Bell/Rogers alliance founded 2 years ago?

Of course, it's even more absurd to consider the idea of CBC winning the bid for the Olympics, and then selling off its largest moneymaker to TSN. Tell me - the Olympics being in Sochi, how many people will actually care for the Rochettes, Montgomeries, or the Kevin Martins this time around?

#35 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:20 PM

CBC cut about 450 jobs this year, and they're going to cut more (projected altogether about 600 jobs or so). Are you going to tell me that the level of coverage and analysis will be that of the Bell/Rogers alliance founded 2 years ago?

Of course, it's even more absurd to consider the idea of CBC winning the bid for the Olympics, and then selling off its largest moneymaker to TSN. Tell me - the Olympics being in Sochi, how many people will actually care for the Rochettes, Montgomeries, or the Kevin Martins this time around?

wow I actually 100% agree with you on something. CBC had to put a lot of people out of work, yet has millions of dollars available to spend on the Olympics?

#36 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,592 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:02 PM

Don Cherry in the Winter Olympics?! Heaven forbid!

#37 Danimal

Danimal

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:16 PM

I will love hearing Steve Armatige's voice calling swimming and Speed Skating events
Sig too big dude.

#38 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:41 PM

The only good thing about this is Jim hughson might do a hockey game in Russia. But TSN CTV Sportsnet are all doing a amazing job. Does that mean there's gonna be a different Olympic song?

CBC will simply resurrect the same Olympic jingle they've been using for the past few decades. Every Olympics, they would develop a new composition, as well as adapt and re-record their Olympic theme to provide a new flavor. Their jingle is iconic; few should be disappointed about its return.

1996 Atlanta Summer Games:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE28zktx3bk

2004 Athens Summer Games:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCCFaiqNauA&feature=related

2006 Torino Winter Games:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=uJTTaTOOXvE

2008 Beijing Summer Games:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWMvvVm-FZU&feature=related

For whatever reason, they omitted the jingle from their Salt Lake intro, but we should expect its return for Sochi.

2002 Salt Lake Winter Games:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6owzQ3A3e0&feature=relmfu

Not good at all. CBC has ONE channel in all basic cable packages. Last time they had the Olympics they put a bunch of really important Canadian events on their on channels like CBC Bold. These channels were only in about 2 million Canadian households.

Compare this to the CTV coverage that had: CTV, SN, TSN, and OLN all available in basic cable packages, and with 3 of them available to at least 25 million Canadians.

I do recall some of their Beijing Olympics coverage being featured on TSN. Vic Rauter covered fencing for TSN while Russ Anber provided commentary for the boxing events. I'm quite positive a similar arrangement will be made for the 2014 Olympics.

Edited by WeatherWise, 02 August 2012 - 10:02 PM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#39 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:10 PM

I do recall some of their Beijing Olympics coverage being featured on TSN. Vic Rauter covered fencing for TSN while Russ Anber provided commentary for the boxing events. I'm quite positive a similar arrangement will be made for the 2014 Olympics.

Bell, Rogers, and CBC don't have an relationship of any kind anymore. CBC has already said they will not lend out coverage of the 2014/2016 games.

#40 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,742 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:04 PM

Bell, Rogers, and CBC don't have an relationship of any kind anymore. CBC has already said they will not lend out coverage of the 2014/2016 games.

Where's the source for that?

#41 cj_coolcat

cj_coolcat

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:25 AM

Nooooo! This is terrible news. CTV's coverage has been vastly superior. When it was on CBC I always ended up missing out on several of my favourite sports (particularly in the summer Olympics) simply because they were not broadcasted.
QUOTE (kanadahockey @ Aug 20 2009, 08:48 AM) ah yes, comparing Natives to stray dogs wasn't critical of the Natives, it was actually critical of the Whites. How very White Man's Burden of you. Pip, pip and all that - let's retire to the library for cucumber sandwiches.

#42 Danimal

Danimal

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:25 AM

Is steve armitage still with CBC and will he be covering speed skating and swimming he was simply the best. Same with Don Whitman before his passing.
Sig too big dude.

#43 Kamero89

Kamero89

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:55 AM

Where's the source for that?

CBC and CTV/Bell were doing a joint bid, it fell through because of bad relations. It was widely documented.

#44 WeatherWise

WeatherWise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:19 AM

As odd as it may seem, there was a discussion last week on the FAN590 regarding Global TV or another Canadian network being possibly involved in the Olympic broadcasts as well. It CBC opted to sell the rights to some of their events, and truly wished to avoid CTV and Rogers, this would certainly be a plausible scenario. In any case, I do not believe CBC will broadcast their Olympic coverage on only one channel.

Is steve armitage still with CBC and will he be covering speed skating and swimming he was simply the best. Same with Don Whitman before his passing.

Steve Armitage is still with CBC. I agree with your comments about him and the late Don Wittman.

Edited by WeatherWise, 07 August 2012 - 01:26 AM.

The greatest segue into a weather segment.

#45 YaK

YaK

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:41 AM

Hopefully this is the end of Brian Williams... the last couple of Olympics (actually since the move to CTV) he has been getting too high on himself.
I also don't mind the potential return of the old CBC jingle.
I think you will see some arrangement made to get the range of broadcasting as close as possible to the current levels provided by "the consortium".
Posted Image
"It felt almost like it was a dream," Burrows said of his game-winner.
"But guys jumped on me and I couldn't breathe, so I knew it was right."

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.