The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks also interested in Jason Arnott

we "arnott" going to sign Jason Arnott. Not because he isn't valuble, but because he doesn't fit into their long term plan. The Canucks are trying to get younger, and build a contending team for years to come. Shane Doan is the kind of guy that can help this team win now and is hungry and is still an effective player. Arnott's best years are behind him and he's won a Cup before so he won't have the same drive as everyone else. The team doesn't need a guy who is just looking to just finish out his career. They need someone the team wants to play for, someone who can contribute both on and off the ice. The players that come to mind that fit this category are Shane Doan and Jarome Iginla

i have a hunch that if doan/arnott is an either/or situation, it's not because of their respective ages but because acquiring doan means the canucks will get a 3rd line center in the inevitable luongo deal, and if they don't sign doan they'll get a 2nd line right wing. my SUPER hunch is that the canucks have two deals in principle with the panthers reflecting my theory, one involving matthias and one involving versteeg, and both hinging on shane doan choosing a team.

He can still put up 20 goals. He'll be good.

I'm pretty excited to hear the Canucks are interested in Arnott, I've been touting him for weeks on here and I think he'd be a great 3rd line center for us. He's huge, has gone all the way to the cup and is a grizzled veteran, and he still has an offensive upside in that he can score 20 goals. He could also play 2nd line center if Kesler misses time at the beginning of the season.

Yes sign both amd make the canucks even slower and older. The canucks were exposed by LA last year, they could not keep up with the speed of LA and now we talk about adding 2 old guys??? Look at the canucks line up with those guys in, the canucks have to be the oldest team in the league then.

i have a hunch that if doan/arnott is an either/or situation, it's not because of their respective ages but because acquiring doan means the canucks will get a 3rd line center in the inevitable luongo deal, and if they don't sign doan they'll get a 2nd line right wing. my SUPER hunch is that the canucks have two deals in principle with the panthers reflecting my theory, one involving matthias and one involving versteeg, and both hinging on shane doan choosing a team.

Yikes, not so happy to hear this.

If they're going to have a 3rd line centre who they'll have to shelter, they're better off putting Schroeder there IMO. Arnotts not a tough minutes centre. Last yr he got inflated zone starts (something that will not happen in Van), and got a fair chuck of PP time (not likely to happen in Van). On the positive side, he's a plus possession player and can he move to the wing if necessary.

Hopefully they sign Doan cause I'd rather not see Arnott.

Doan and Arnott would both be good additions at the right price.

I would, however, rather see the club start getting our youth into some meaningful, NHL hockey games. Schroeder, by all accounts, improved his 2-way game dramatically over the course of last season. Kassian and Jensen both have bodies that can handle some games. How about Rodin?

It seems on CDC it's always about who are we going sign or trade for rather than who are we going to bring up or give a shot? The whole player development model is a crap shoot. How can a player get better without playing at a higher (NHL) level vs. how can the Canucks get better by playing inexperienced kids vs. how do players get NHL experience without playing meaningful minutes in the NHL?

Call in the kids, I say. Give 'em a shot to succeed or fail. It's hard to learn without failing, no?

:towel::canucks:

Makes some sense to me but Versteeg to Matthias is a pretty large drop off in terms of value. Please tell me there's a couple of high draft picks coming back with Matthias in that scenario...

The other thing to consider: Can Tallon really afford to give up one of his 1st liners and remove the insulation a Versteeg provides for that popgun offence in FLA? Excess pressure to put up offensive numbers at an early age has ruined many a prospect before...

I made a post about getting Arnott, I think he'd be a great acquisition. He would fill the void till Kes becomes one hundred percent healthy, then could make our third line more skillful and "large."

We will need to trade Lu and Raymond before this can happen unfortunately, as for getting both? Why not, that whole getting younger thing is ridiculous.. Especially if it's only a one year contract for Arnott. I want to win, "getting younger" can happen when the opportunity arises, I really don't see any of those atm. :mellow:

Archived