The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Doan= bye bye Edler or Burrows

carlweezer

1) source? you think the cap will go out after the lockout?? that seems backwards doesnt it? Cap will stay the same then eventually go down next year is best case scenario.

2) yes other players will be dumped but those players need to be replaced. and you need to pay those players as well.

3) He wont ask for Parise money but considering Burr and his scoring the last few yrs I think he will get at least 4mil.

Thats exactly what TEAM 1040 said this morning,

Im going to paraphrase but something along the lines of

( we know what Doan can bring for the Canucks but what can the Canucks bring to Doan, stanley cup contender? theres about 4 teams that can provide that. Also will Doan, who is a respected man in the nhl want to be part of all the finger pointing/biting, diving, whining fans that run their greatest goalie of of town, that have come with being a vancouver canuck. Thres a reason why the canucks are the most hated team in the league, will Doan want to be part of that? )

Ballard, Raymond, Luongo, Alberts, and maybe Malhotra are gonna be gone ( Unless he takes a discount)

That's more than $15 million gone. Lots of money to sign players.

Hansen about $2-$3 million.

Edler for about $5-$6 million

Burrows about $4 million

Lapierre about $1.5-$2 million

Higgins about $3 million

Tanev about $1.5$-2.5 million

I love how people overthink things so much on the forum. Believe it or not, a year is a long time down the road.

The only thing I'd be worrying about is the bargaining agreement, but that will affect ALL teams, not just ours. A lot of players, especially the ones finishing their contracts next year (Edler and Burrows included) would likely have to take pay cuts if the cap goes down substantially.

EDIT: All those long contracts teams have signed players too will bite them in the butt,

The way I see it, if funds were that big of an issue, MG wouldn't be offering Doan anything, instead, concentrating on the Lou deal. It's obvious, to me at least, that MG knows a little bit more than we do about the situation and has a plan moving forward. I think all the doubters out there should have a little more faith in our GM and let him do his job.

Next year when Edler and Burr need new contracts

Canuck fans drooling over the possibility of a new toy, happens every year, i even read posts about why we didnt sign alex semin or should we go after andrei kostitsyn? To be fair i do believe that Doan is a piece that we could sorely use, a tough rugged leader. However to pay him 6 mil or more for 4 years would be absoloutely bonkers!

" well our window is closing and we need to win now".. This is garbage because if a team is ran properly thru drafting and economical free agent signing well then there is no window. Just ask the red wings, i guess their window is 15 to 20 yrs?

We have 2.5 mil left on our cap, if we sign Doan to a 6 mil contract it will put us 3.5 mil over the cap. "well we can trade lu for picks and prospects" if you think gillis is getting low balled now on lu offers what do you think other gms will offer when they know we need to get rid of 4 mil in 3 weeks? This is why teams rarely go over the cap in the summer because other teams will rape them in trade offers.

Speaking of windows, our team strength the last 2 president trophy years have been our depth and not just the sedins. How do you propose we compete next season when we wont be able to afford Edler and Burrows who are both entitled to massive raises. Not to mention Lappy, higgins, Raymond are all ufa and Tanev an rfa. ??

I can also see it now this time next year " mg is the worst gm!! Why isnt he signing free agents on the market!!"

This will be the headlines next summer when canuck fans are left out of the party and sweepstakes. W. big name players like getzlaf,perry,iginla,morrow,hartnell,semin,Lupul,roy,zajac,clowe are all on the market as free agents!!

I will be the first to welcome doan w. Open arms if he signs but im not so sure its not a better idea if we wait 1 more summer for players on the same mold that are younger and would cost less (zajac, clowe,hartnell)

Next year when Edler and Burr need new contracts

Canuck fans drooling over the possibility of a new toy, happens every year, i even read posts about why we didnt sign alex semin or should we go after andrei kostitsyn? To be fair i do believe that Doan is a piece that we could sorely use, a tough rugged leader. However to pay him 6 mil or more for 4 years would be absoloutely bonkers!

" well our window is closing and we need to win now".. This is garbage because if a team is ran properly thru drafting and economical free agent signing well then there is no window. Just ask the red wings, i guess their window is 15 to 20 yrs?

We have 2.5 mil left on our cap, if we sign Doan to a 6 mil contract it will put us 3.5 mil over the cap. "well we can trade lu for picks and prospects" if you think gillis is getting low balled now on lu offers what do you think other gms will offer when they know we need to get rid of 4 mil in 3 weeks? This is why teams rarely go over the cap in the summer because other teams will rape them in trade offers.

Speaking of windows, our team strength the last 2 president trophy years have been our depth and not just the sedins. How do you propose we compete next season when we wont be able to afford Edler and Burrows who are both entitled to massive raises. Not to mention Lappy, higgins, Raymond are all ufa and Tanev an rfa. ??

I can also see it now this time next year " mg is the worst gm!! Why isnt he signing free agents on the market!!"

This will be the headlines next summer when canuck fans are left out of the party and sweepstakes. W. big name players like getzlaf,perry,iginla,morrow,hartnell,semin,Lupul,roy,zajac,clowe are all on the market as free agents!!

I will be the first to welcome doan w. Open arms if he signs but im not so sure its not a better idea if we wait 1 more summer for players on the same mold that are younger and would cost less (zajac, clowe,hartnell)

HMMMMM I think you might be on to something..... who knows where the cap is gonna be

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Shane Doan ($6.000m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / BURROWS NEW CONTRACT ($4.000m)

HIGGINS NEW CONTRACT ($2.750m) / LAPIERE NEW CONTRACT ($2.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

DEFENSEMEN

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

EDLER NEW CONTRACT ($5.500m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)

TANEV NEW CONTRACT ($1.750m) /

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,370,000; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (16-man roster): $6,830,000

I agree with you that we shouldn't sign Doan at 6$ for 4years, but if we did i hope Gillis is smart enough to trade Luongo before that happens.

And i do think we should trade Luongo for picks and prospects, because out prospect pool isn't that deep, not even top 20 in the league.

If not so i would lile to se a trade where we just trade luongo for a top six winger. And then we don't need to sign Doan at all.

You can only think that MG is pulling out all the stops to sign Doan BECAUSE HE WILL MAKE THE CAP WORK. Following the OP logic, we should be afraid of the cap and pass on the opportunity to win a Stanley.

Sure glad you aren't running the organization man!

Depth is only valuable if you have the right pieces to begin with. The Nucks don't!!! Doan fills a need that the last 2 years have shown the Nucks sorely need.

Kassian is a few years away from filling the role of power forward and the Sedins will likely be lesser players by the time he is ready.

Doan on a 3 yr deal makes great sense for this core group and their chance to get a cup.

Lmao @ the thought of Gillis offering Doan a 4yr. 6 million per season contract. This really doesn't make sense . I'm no Gillis expert , but this doesn't seem like something he would do . My thinking is 3 yrs. at the most and 4.5-5 million per .

Archived