The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Manny Malhotra to March in Vancouver Pride Parade

Champions of Nothing

I have always wondered, what is the purpose of having a gay parade? I don't really understand the need for it in this day and age, I mean, gay people especially in Vancouver don't really get discriminated for it do they?

Nothing wrong with it, I just think we are past the parade stage. The fact that people make a big deal about who participates in it kinda surprises me too.

That's because you are not looking properly. They parade each night. I feel for them and would really like to see others doing the same. For sure they would not be exposing themselves in jock straps etc....for all the children to see. Ever think that it may make real women and children feel uncomfortable seeing this? Oh, let me guess, they don't have to be there right? What if they live there.....

That's because you are not looking properly. They parade each night. I feel for them and would really like to see others doing the same. For sure they would not be exposing themselves in jock straps etc....for all the children to see. Ever think that it may make real women and children feel uncomfortable seeing this? Oh, let me guess, they don't have to be there right? What if they live there.....

huh... whats the point in having a parade? this is a serious question for a legit gay or lesbian... if you're gay... that's your life style, why parade it around? I don't going around organizing a parade because i am straight.

to a regular person like me that doesnt really have a strong opinion on the matter it seems like the parade is a reach out for acceptance... and to me, if you're seeking acceptance... you're not really comfortable with what you're doing.

and i really don't understand why straight people would join in on such an event? like what would a person's (like manny) goal be in doing this?

Not trying to start any arguments here, i am just really missing the point of the whole event.

huh... whats the point in having a parade? this is a serious question for a legit gay or lesbian... if you're gay... that's your life style, why parade it around? I don't going around organizing a parade because i am straight.

to a regular person like me that doesnt really have a strong opinion on the matter it seems like the parade is a reach out for acceptance... and to me, if you're seeking acceptance... you're not really comfortable with what you're doing.

and i really don't understand why straight people would join in on such an event? like what would a person's (like manny) goal be in doing this?

Not trying to start any arguments here, i am just really missing the point of the whole event.

I am no expert on gay pride parades, but I've always seen them as a way for the LGBT community to be just that... a community. It is just like any number of ethnic parades or other civic parades held throughout the year. I suppose there is added meaning for pride parades because in many ways they are still fighting for acceptance - and in my opinion there is nothing wrong with them doing that. These parades are reminders that gay people don't have to be ashamed of who they are and "regular" people like you are exposed to the positive things these people bring to the community.

for the record, when i said regular (which was a poor choice of word) i meant someone who isnt exactly  anti-gay or pro-gay.

and you kind of made my point, why do they feel the need to be accepted? if a person is honestly comfortable with who they are they shouldn't have to seek acceptance. like i said before, i dont go around organizing a heterosexual parade, or a latino parade (wouldn't go to one if someone else organized it).

and i know someone is going to talk about how gay community is persecuted or bullied in some way but like mentioned before, i am latino, but i don't exactly look it, so i often get people around me being racist against latinos thinking they are in the clear. again... not the slightest inclination to have a parade.

having a parade kind of feels like homosexuals are trying to force everyone to not only be ok with their sexuality, but to encourage it. I don't agree with homosexuality, but in no way am i anti-gay. but for some reason i have people who used to be my friends, who are gay, who aren't ok with that. they have always tried to force me to change my point of view and some have gone as far as to call me a "judgemental gay hating bigot".

I guess what i am getting at is: WHY is it ok for gay people to attack and bring down others who don't jump up and down in acceptance and encouragement for gay and lesbians but its not ok for a person like me to say (in a very hostile situation i may add) that "i don't agree with the gay life-style and would never encourage it, but i don't look down on you for being gay". i just dont get it, another comment directed my way is that i am a piece of garbage compared to people like manny because i dont go out of my way to actively support gay and lesbians.

The way i see it is comparable to east indian food, It doesn't agree with my stomach. but i dont go out of my way to stop people from eating it, i dont judge people for eating it nor do i care if you like it. its just not for me.

looking for some serious answers here people.

Archived