The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Manny Malhotra to March in Vancouver Pride Parade

Champions of Nothing

the question is... do you actively go out of your way to make sure people know your point of view and agree with it? there is a difference.

it really doesnt sound stupid actually. there may be things in the latino culture you don't agree with personally but you dont care that other people do those things. and as a latino, i am ok with that.

Being gay isn't a point of view, and as long as gay people are discriminated against, then a parade still has a place. Imagine if Latinos weren't allowed to get married, I'm sure that there would be endless marches, protests etc until that injustice was changed.

not allowing a race of people to get married is different from redefining the definition of marriage. your analogy doesn't make sense to me. and my issue is why do gays think they have the right to rip into people who don't share their exact views while people who feel they are standing up for their beliefs (when being confronted) are turned into villains?

sadly being gay is appoint of view, some people do think its just the way a person is, and some people think its a choice or even a combination. another point of view is what to do if you feel you are gay, some people think you should act on it and others think its morally wrong and get counselling or choose to pursue a heterosexual life-style despite homosexual feelings. what is pathetic in my point of view is people look at other people with different views and label negatively. seriously, if gays want respect, they need to respect other people and their beliefs and not try to shove their views and life styles down the throats of others.

you don't get respect by parading, you get respect by respecting other people. so again.. please explain to me why it's acceptable for gays to be ruthless to people with different views and opinions?

I guess what i am getting at is: WHY is it ok for gay people to attack and bring down others who don't jump up and down in acceptance and encouragement for gay and lesbians but its not ok for a person like me to say (in a very hostile situation i may add) that "i don't agree with the gay life-style and would never encourage it, but i don't look down on you for being gay". i just dont get it.

The parade is still pertinent today because the discrimination torch has passed from race to gender to sexual orientation. This is just a continuation of the struggle of the suffragettes and the equal rights movements of past decades. Until we recognize ALL people as fully equal under the law and there is no societal stigma against humans being themselves then the fight must continue in the open lest individual freedoms recess into the shadows behind antiquated cultural dogma's oppression.

/ My GF is running a not for profit down on Davie this weekend called GFAD. 'Gay For A Day' . They sell kits with hot pink t-shirts and other swag for $20 to provide an avenue for straight, but not narrow, individuals to show their support for the community. All profits go to various charities.

I have my Tim Thomas mask ready to go and will be proudly letting everyone know that he and I are Gay For A Day.

Take that Timmy, you %#&!%?.

Being gay isn't a point of view, and as long as gay people are discriminated against, then a parade still has a place. Imagine if Latinos weren't allowed to get married, I'm sure that there would be endless marches, protests etc until that injustice was changed.

The parade is still pertinent today because the discrimination torch has passed from race to gender to sexual orientation. This is just a continuation of the struggle of the suffragettes and the equal rights movements of past decades. Until we recognize ALL people as fully equal under the law and there is no societal stigma against humans being themselves then the fight must continue in the open lest individual freedoms recess into the shadows behind antiquated cultural dogma's oppression.

/ My GF is running a not for profit down on Davie this weekend called GFAD. 'Gay For A Day' . They sell kits with hot pink t-shirts and other swag for $20 to provide an avenue for straight, but not narrow, individuals to show their support for the community. All profits go to various charities.

I have my Tim Thomas mask ready to go and will be proudly letting everyone know that he and I are Gay For A Day.

Take that Timmy, you %#&!%?.

Agree with you hockeyville88 that it is a great start for Garrison to give back to the community so soon as a Canuck. Wonder who else will follow and show up in the parade ? How about the Sedins and Kesler who have made PSA's for "You Can Play" project ?

Would love my 3 favorite Canucks there: Burr, Kes and Higgy ! :towel::towel::towel::towel::towel::towel:

huh... whats the point in having a parade? this is a serious question for a legit gay or lesbian... if you're gay... that's your life style, why parade it around? I don't going around organizing a parade because i am straight.

to a regular person like me that doesnt really have a strong opinion on the matter it seems like the parade is a reach out for acceptance... and to me, if you're seeking acceptance... you're not really comfortable with what you're doing.

and i really don't understand why straight people would join in on such an event? like what would a person's (like manny) goal be in doing this?

Not trying to start any arguments here, i am just really missing the point of the whole event.

If fat people had less legal rights than skinny people than absolutely. Fat but straight people or allowed to marry, face much, much less discrimination in the work place and in public settings.

The fact that you relate obesity to homosexuality in terms of human rights causes shows what little you know about the whole thing. I suggest doing a little research.

Archived