Alex Edler-Jason Garrison

Tyson Strachan-Chris Tanev

Derek Joslin-Yann Sauve

Cory Schneider

Jose Thoedore

Luongo, Alberts for Matthias, Strachan, 1st rd pick, Thoedore

Raymond, Ballard for Valtteri Flippula

Malhotra for draft pick

That first trade doesn't feel very satisfying, trading our starter for some (granted big, young) complementary pieces.

I think the 2nd trade could work with Ballard+ for Filppula, since the Wings still need a Top 4 D-man, and if he starts off hot he could become a hot commodity. If they won't deal Val then hopefully we could get Tatar+.

Not bad considering some of the trades proposed on this site. I wouldn't feel completely burned if we traded Luongo for those pieces. I am not too sure if Detroit would be willing to make that trade though, even though they are desperate for defense. But then again they are getting a project player in Raymond, who could potentially be a 20 goal scorer (consistently), who plays a defensive system well, and is good at breaking out and into the oppositions zone. I am not overvaluing Raymond here, just pointing out that he has the potential to be better, so for a trade like Ballard for Filppula, they are still getting a forward back who can fill in, while also gaining a defenseman.

That's not to say Detroit would make the trade though. Or that we even should trade Ballard. Maybe this is the season he breaks out again?

Archived