589 replies to this topic

#301 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,466 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:36 AM

That is an improper use of the meme. This post is bad and you should feel bad.

Uhh, no. That's how you properly use that meme.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#302 hockeyfan87

hockeyfan87

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:03 AM

Perhaps i was being too cryptic in what I wrote. My point, while replying to the other poster, was that Education, Health Care and money spent developing human rights, whether in the U.S. or around the world, would be the higher prioritization of funding, and rightly should be, but also that it would have more benefits and spinoffs than anything else, including even funding that went to NASA. The point there being that without funding in those areas, we wouldn't have the capabilities for mission such as the present one to Mars. Ensuring the education, safety and well being of people, ensures that people are free and able to explore, discover, learn, innovate, and invent. The more we do of the former....the more we'll have of the latter.

That sounds all well and good (and I agree that those should come first) but past a certain point funding something like education provides diminishing returns. How do you improve our education system past a certain point? Give all highschool kids Ipads? Give into all the demands of the BCTF? Fund all post-secondary education for students who will get an arts degree that won't help them find a job? I'm just being argumentative to try to illustrate a point that yes those should rightly come first, as you say they serve a basis to allow for space exploration to happen in the first place, but it also has to be a balancing act.

As an aside I think our education system can best be served by providing people opportunities to learn about subjects that they are motivated in. Everyone has some interest. Provides kids and young adults to pursue those interests with fewer obstacles and I think we would see across the board improvement.

#303 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,225 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:05 AM

Posted Image

Opportunity Rover Captures Own Shadow, Giant Mars CraterCredit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/Cornell/Arizona State Univ.NASA's Mars rover Opportunity catches its own late-afternoon shadow in this dramatically lit view eastward across Endeavour Crater on Mars. The rover used the panoramic camera (Pancam) between about 4:30 and 5:00 p.m. local Mars time (mostly on March 9, 2012) to record images taken through different filters and combined into this mosaic view.

i know this is a photo from the mars rover , but it is only a few months old and it is a fantastic image .

Edited by The Ratiocinator, 07 August 2012 - 04:10 AM.

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#304 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,791 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:36 AM

the "red" planet is sooo.... blue?

#305 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,791 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:13 AM

Mt. Sharp
Posted Image

#306 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:33 AM

That sounds all well and good (and I agree that those should come first) but past a certain point funding something like education provides diminishing returns. How do you improve our education system past a certain point? Give all highschool kids Ipads? Give into all the demands of the BCTF? Fund all post-secondary education for students who will get an arts degree that won't help them find a job? I'm just being argumentative to try to illustrate a point that yes those should rightly come first, as you say they serve a basis to allow for space exploration to happen in the first place, but it also has to be a balancing act.

As an aside I think our education system can best be served by providing people opportunities to learn about subjects that they are motivated in. Everyone has some interest. Provides kids and young adults to pursue those interests with fewer obstacles and I think we would see across the board improvement.

Well, without going too much further down this tangent with you, which is barely linking back to this thread topic now, i'll just say that, in relation to the type of education required in order to develop the expertise to send a rover or even a manned mission to Mars or elsewhere, the onus will be on the next generation to do so. It'll be about 15-20 years before a manned mission to Mars is planned, so the 10 year olds of today need to be focusing on maths and science now, in order to participate in the next big move in space exploration.

Do they need Ipads? Couldn't hurt if it was to heighten their science curriculum. What they need though, moreso, is more exposure to math and science. Most of the college graduates today in the U.S. are not in the math and science field. Compare that to China and India, and you'll see a big chasm between their students and North American ones, in those subjects. I agree a balance is needed. The effort needs to be in more math and more science at an even earlier age, in order for space exploration to stay viable in North America lest Asia supplant us as the leaders in it. I don't think education will ever be classified as being considered as a 'diminishing return' at any point in one's life....let alone in the early childhood stage of life.

I purposefully avoided the BCTF and other talk, since that's opening a can of worms in this thread. I'll just say that the education system and curriculum needs an overhaul, in how things are taught, what's taught and when in a student's life, how much funding is increased(because decreasing is not an option) where it's increased, how teacher's are rewarded and over-sought and held to standards and account, etc. All of that has to be done in order to evolve the way and what we teach kids. I don't want to see that kids are being taught the same things that I was taught in Kindergarten or Grade 1 now. Those kids are much more advanced technologically than I was, and their education needs to keep up with their relative advances comparatively speaking.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#307 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:16 AM

Some New Images from Mars:

The coloured portion is from Curiosity, and the Black and White part is NASA's computer simulation, to give the coloured picture some context.

Posted Image

3D??

Posted Image

Posted Image

Showing you where all the pieces of hardware are and where some ended up.

Posted Image

Here are the isolated pictures of each piece:

Curiosity:

http://www.nasa.gov/...0-full_full.jpg

Sky Crane:

http://www.nasa.gov/...9-full_full.jpg

Parachute & Back Shell:

http://www.nasa.gov/...8-full_full.jpg

Heat Shield:

http://www.nasa.gov/...7-full_full.jpg

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#308 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,224 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:29 AM

Mobile

naslundsig5.gif14326903821.giftowel.gif
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#309 wtpasc

wtpasc

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:27 PM

Some New Images from Mars:

The coloured portion is from Curiosity, and the Black and White part is NASA's computer simulation, to give the coloured picture some context.

Posted Image

3D??

Posted Image

Posted Image

Showing you where all the pieces of hardware are and where some ended up.

Posted Image

Here are the isolated pictures of each piece:

Curiosity:

http://www.nasa.gov/...0-full_full.jpg

Sky Crane:

http://www.nasa.gov/...9-full_full.jpg

Parachute & Back Shell:

http://www.nasa.gov/...8-full_full.jpg

Heat Shield:

http://www.nasa.gov/...7-full_full.jpg

That sky crane left quite the scar on the surface. I'm really curious what it looks like up close now.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#310 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:08 PM

That sky crane left quite the scar on the surface. I'm really curious what it looks like up close now.

Maybe in time they'll send Curiosity over to take a look, or have Odyssey look at it closer from overhead. I'm sure it's just a broken fiery wreck of metal anyways.

#311 wtpasc

wtpasc

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:17 PM

Maybe in time they'll send Curiosity over to take a look, or have Odyssey look at it closer from overhead. I'm sure it's just a broken fiery wreck of metal anyways.

Yes but a multi-million dollar broken fiery wreck of metal, ON MARS!

I am also really looking forward to the color HD photos when they get released.

http://www.wired.com...-rover-cameras/

#312 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:27 PM

Yes but a multi-million dollar broken fiery wreck of metal, ON MARS!

I am also really looking forward to the color HD photos when they get released.

http://www.wired.com...-rover-cameras/

Well, they broke it, they bought it......or something like that.

Yeah, i'm waiting with much anticipation for the download and release of those pics too. Can't wait to see Mars in high-def.

#313 AbbyNucksFan

AbbyNucksFan

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,434 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:31 PM

such an exciting time to be living.. this really is the dawn of the space exploration age (the last 50 years or so)

where will we be in another 50 years?
Posted Image

Credit to LostViking for the sig! Thanks!

#314 wtpasc

wtpasc

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

such an exciting time to be living.. this really is the dawn of the space exploration age (the last 50 years or so)

50 years from now....

Hopefully establishing an off earth colony!

#315 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 02:47 PM

I'd be happy with alive, firstly, and advancing secondly.

Or is that advancing firstly and staying alive secondly?

;)

50 years of space advancements should and could look very dramatic...as well as what we do with them and what we learn from them.

I'm hoping discover of extra-terrestrial life now or in the past is found. That we explore Europa. That we begin mining asteroids, instead of ripping up the planet. That we also colonize the moon or Mars, and that we are able to have one collective world space effort with all our resources and knowledge shared.

Grand wishes, but what good are wishes if they're not grand? ;)

#316 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,225 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:12 PM

this is the way we are treating our own planet, like a massive rubbish dump, and unless we change our ways more places on earth will look like this .

Posted Image

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#317 El_Capitan

El_Capitan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:55 PM

this is the way we are treating our own planet, like a massive rubbish dump, and unless we change our ways more places on earth will look like this .

Posted Image

Boring.

Go away tree hugger.

I hope we have warp/light speed on our Ferrari's!

Posted Image

#318 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 71,881 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:06 PM

307mg00.jpg

#319 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:12 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv_tR9IYFVI&feature=player_embedded

See post #284 and #296.

Try to look up page or at least back one page, before posting similar videos.

#320 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,225 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:40 PM

Boring.

Go away tree hugger.

I hope we have warp/light speed on our Ferrari's!

It is such a shame that stupidity is painless .

Marjane Satrapi

Aldous Huxley.

#321 Tom-The-Great

Tom-The-Great

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:40 PM

See post #284 and #296.

he doesnt look, he just copy/pastes. silly sharpshooter.

#322 Armada

Armada

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,056 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:41 PM

I feel like so many more people are more interested about this mars expedition than any previous one. So many people are talking about it

See post #284 and #296.

Try to not be a mod, when you're not. Who cares if he posted the same video in this thread.. Its not like he's making a new thread before searching.

Edited by Armada, 07 August 2012 - 04:42 PM.

Posted Image
______________Eat, Sleep,Posted ImageRave, Repeat

#323 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,306 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:46 PM

Posted Image

Where the hell is that?
Posted Image

#324 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,225 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:50 PM

Where the hell is that?

Lagos .

Marjane Satrapi

Aldous Huxley.

#325 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,306 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:58 PM

Why don't we just send a person to Mars and explore it properly then :picard:

What others had mentioned. Plus it takes 150-300 days to reach Mars depending on the variables. It would require a major commitment from those individuals and it would be incredibly taxing on them mentally no doubt. I don't even know if it's actually doable right now anyway. I imagine it's quite a bit different than simply landing a rover on the surface and controlling it from tens of millions of miles away.
Posted Image

#326 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,306 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:59 PM

Lagos .

Scary.

I figured it was somewhere in Africa after seeing that picture of the African woman at the bottom. Some sort of tarp or something?
Posted Image

#327 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:04 PM

I feel like so many more people are more interested about this mars expedition than any previous one. So many people are talking about it

Try to not be a mod, when you're not. Who cares if he posted the same video in this thread.. Its not like he's making a new thread before searching.

Posting the same material is redundant. You don't have to be a moderator to know that. This is not the first time he's done this without looking. It's a habit of his. He's been following the thread long enough to not have the excuse of not wanting to go back and look either up the current page or back at least one page. Like someone else said....it's a copy/paste job, that doesn't add anything to the thread. At best, it's unintentional spam.

#328 Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:21 PM

What others had mentioned. Plus it takes 150-300 days to reach Mars depending on the variables. It would require a major commitment from those individuals and it would be incredibly taxing on them mentally no doubt. I don't even know if it's actually doable right now anyway. I imagine it's quite a bit different than simply landing a rover on the surface and controlling it from tens of millions of miles away.

They put the mission together tomorrow and I'd sign up to go for free. No question.
Posted Image

#329 El_Capitan

El_Capitan

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:26 PM

It is such a shame that stupidity is painless .

Tell that to my University degree that I obtained with distinction.

Because it doesn't care either tree hugger.

Posted Image

#330 Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Slaytanic Wehrmacht

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:36 PM

Tell that to my University degree that I obtained with distinction.

Because it doesn't care either tree hugger.

LOL killer sig! :lol:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.