#153 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,502 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:40 PM

Martian's see this as act of war... Launch unknown weapons at us :lol:

They've been landing vehicles since 1976 I think they would have attacked by now. <_<
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#154 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,363 posts

I bet they spent millions of dollars on this, and they have 3 photos of sand.

WOOOOOOO

Posted Image

#155 The Hornet

The Hornet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,643 posts

So awesome to see how happy these people are!

Way to go NASA!

Posted Image

#156 VICanucksfan5551

VICanucksfan5551

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,090 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:41 PM

WOOOOOOO

Yes, because that's all the rover is going to do :rolleyes:
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#157 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,363 posts

Yes, because that's all the rover is going to do :rolleyes:

Oh yeah and collect sand and rocks.

I'm just teasing :P

Posted Image

#158 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

What blows the mind is it takes minutes for the pictures just to be transmitted.

Radio waves travel at the speed of light through space. Shouldn't take any longer than light we seem reflected from Mars.

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

Posted Image Hail to the King (PBUH)! Posted Image

#159 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,689 posts

Oops, language is getting a bit adult in that room

#160 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,169 posts

Holy **** indeed.

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

The conspiracy theories that used to be against Lateralus:
Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#161 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:42 PM

So when do these guys start making out?

Buddy I called this EXACT situtation on here two years ago and was flamed, so I guess I have a bit of hockey knowledge, not to mention the 4 years I played in the OHL idiot.

Puberty, life, movie theaters, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out, movie theaters that frown upon you pulling it out during a children's movie, Toy Story 3, Pixar, who ever decided to make Woody so damn attractive, a job, his mothers basement, being 40, being 40 five years ago, dogs who can out run him, all dogs, the Olympic committee, Truth, Fact, Honesty, Logic, Newsflash, a father figure who was there to see him learn to ride his first bike, bikes,

#162 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,834 posts

WOOOOOOO

2.5 billion on the rover. LOL

But given all that technology, it's understandable.
Posted Image

#163 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

:towel: :towel: :frantic: :frantic:

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#164 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:43 PM

That was awesome.

Inspirational ending to a somber day.

Edited by Sharpshooter, 05 August 2012 - 10:44 PM.

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#165 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:43 PM

:towel: :towel: :frantic: :frantic:

The dudes should be made blue in honor of NASA.

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

#166 Special Ed

Special Ed

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,257 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:44 PM

They have the best job. Exploring a new world. Soooooooo jealous!

If you like looking at statistics to determine who's better, you're just a casual fan.

2.41 season GAA isn't very impressive. Let's not get into playoffs and his SV%.

Cory Schneider is the next Patrick Roy.

#167 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,834 posts

How long is the rover functional on Mars for?
Posted Image

#168 nucklehead

nucklehead

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,190 posts

That's incredible! Now if we could just pop up there and watch it at work.
3195fdd6-8501-47a4-9810-0904db66189b_zps

#169 Newsflash

Newsflash

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:45 PM

Alright, that's enough scientists. Beat it.

You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here.

#170 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 64,784 posts

@TheGoalieGuild
I'm scared....thinking Pierre McGuire is gonna pop up for an on-deck interview and explain how space exploration is as physical as hockey.

:lol:
Posted Image

#171 :D

:D

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,689 posts

Put that up against annual defense budgets of some of the larger countries and you can see where we went wrong

#172 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:48 PM

What blows the mind is it takes minutes for the pictures just to be transmitted.

The mindblowing thing is that it was on the ground 7 minutes before we started watching its descent.

Posted Image

#173 VICanucksfan5551

VICanucksfan5551

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,090 posts

Put that up against annual defense budgets of some of the larger countries and you can see where we went wrong

The US spent 100 billion more on its military budget in 2010 than NASA has spent in its entire history.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#174 Avicii

Avicii

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 15,363 posts

Hey, that's not nice. They're really nice colorless photos of sand.

Posted Image

#175 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

The dudes should be made blue in honor of NASA.

So agree.

#176 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,502 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:49 PM

Radio waves travel at the speed of light through space. Shouldn't take any longer than light we seem reflected from Mars.

Yeah but when you look at Mars in a telescope you don't think. Wow..that light took x minutes to get here. Just like looking at a star it blows the mind if its 250 light years from Earth, that if it blew up today, we wouldn't know for 250 years.

"Mars is roughly 1.5 Astronomical Units (AU) from the Sun (1 AU is the distance from the Sun to the Earth). In ball park estimates, it takes 8 minutes for light to travel 1 AU. So when Mars is at the closest to Earth at 0.5 AU, Mars is 4 light minutes from Earth. The farthest distance Mars is from Earth is 2.5 AU, when Mars is on the other side of the Sun from Earth (1 AU from Earth to the Sun + 1.5 AU from the Sun to Mars). At that distance Mars is 20 light minutes from Earth."
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#177 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:50 PM

The US spent 100 billion more on its military budget in 2010 than NASA has spent in its entire history.

Talk about perspective and fracked up priorities eh? <_<

#178 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:51 PM

World Military Spending

Global military expenditure stands at over $1.7 trillion in annual expenditure at current prices for 2011 (or $1.63 trillion dollars at constant 2010 prices), and has been rising in recent years.
Posted Image
(1991 figures are unavailable. Chart uses 2010 constant prices for comparison.)
Summarizing some key details from the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI)’s recent trends summary:
  • World military expenditure in 2010 is estimated to have reached $1.63 trillion at 2010 prices;
  • This represents a 1.3 per cent increase in real terms over 2008 and a 50 per cent increase since 2001;
  • This corresponds to 2.6 per cent of world gross domestic product (GDP), or approximately $236 for each person in the world;
The USA with its massive spending budget, is the principal determinant of the current world trend, and its military expenditure now accounts for just under half of the world total, at 41% of the world total;
SIPRI has commented in the past on the increasing concentration of military expenditure, i.e. that a small number of countries spend the largest sums. This trend carries on into 2010 spending. For example,
  • The 15 countries with the highest spending account for over 81% of the total;
  • The USA is responsible for 41 per cent of the world total, distantly followed by the China (8.2% of world share), Russia (4.1%), UK and France (both 3.6%)
Posted Image
Military spending is concentrated in North America, Europe, and increasingly, Asia:
Posted Image

Increased spending before and even during global economic crisis

The global financial and economic crisis has resulted in many nations cutting back on all sorts of public spending (often against the criticism of targeting sectors that were not responsible for the crisis), and yet military spending seems to be increasing. How is that justified?
It should be noted that just before the crisis hit, many nations were enjoying either high economic growth or far easier access to credit without any knowledge of what was to come.
A combination of factors explained increased military spending in recent years before the economic crisis as earlier SIPRI reports had also noted, for example:
  • Foreign policy objectives
  • Real or perceived threats
  • Armed conflict and policies to contribute to multilateral peacekeeping operations
  • Availability of economic resources
The last point refers to rapidly developing nations like China and India that have seen their economies boom in recent years. In addition, high and rising world market prices for minerals and fossil fuels (at least until recently) have also enabled some nations to spend more on their militaries.
China, for the first time, ranked number 2 in spending in 2008.
But even during the past year in the aftermath of the financial crisis and cries of governments cutting back, military spending appears to have been spared. How is that justified? SIPRI provides some observations:

The USA led the rise [in military spending], but it was not alone. Of those countries for which data was available, 65% increased their military spending in real terms in 2009. The increase was particularly pronounced among larger economies, both developing and developed: 16 of the 19 states in the G20 saw real-terms increases in military spending in 2009

"These are the things to keep in mind. These are not just academic exercises. We're not analyzing the media on Mars or in the eighteenth century or something like that. We're dealing with real human beings who are suffering and dying and being tortured and starving because of policies that we are involved in, we as citizens of democratic societies are directly involved in and are responsible for, and what the media are doing is ensuring that we do not act on our responsibilities, and that the interests of power are served, not the needs of the suffering people, and not even the needs of the American people who would be horrified if they realized the blood that's dripping from their hands because of the way they are allowing themselves to be deluded and manipulated by the system."
Noam Chomsky

Jesus didn’t say yes to everyone. I mean Jesus knew that there was a place for everything and it is not necessarily everyone’s place to come to Australia
Tony Abbott......Current Australian PM

#179 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,028 posts

Talk about perspective and fracked up priorities eh? <_<

Spend the money on peace that is spent on war, and well let's just say head up ass does not begin to describe our predicament.

Posted Image

#180 StevenStamkos

StevenStamkos

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Is it done? Should I keep watching?

Follow me on twitter! @RealStamkos91

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.