589 replies to this topic

#241 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:16 AM

I wonder if that's Mt. Sharp over in the far right hand side, in the background of the picture?

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#242 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:18 AM

NASA's Curiosity Rover Caught in the Act Landing

PASADENA, Calif. - An image from the High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) camera aboard NASA's Mars Reconnaissance orbiter captured the Curiosity rover still connected to its 51-foot-wide (almost 16 meter) parachute as it descended towards its landing site at Gale Crater.

"If HiRISE took the image one second before or one second after, we probably would be looking at an empty Martian landscape," said Sarah Milkovich, HiRISE investigation scientist at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif. "When you consider that we have been working on this sequence since March and had to upload commands to the spacecraft about 72 hours prior to the image being taken, you begin to realize how challenging this picture was to obtain."

The image of Curiosity on its parachute can be found at:
http://www.nasa.gov/.../pia15978b.html

The image was taken while MRO was 211 miles (340 kilometers) away from the parachuting rover. Curiosity and its rocket-propelled backpack, contained within the conical-shaped back shell, had yet to be deployed. At the time, Curiosity was about two miles (three kilometers) above the Martian surface.

"Guess you could consider us the closest thing to paparazzi on Mars," said Milkovich. "We definitely caught NASA's newest celebrity in the act."

Curiosity, NASA's latest contribution to the Martian landscape, landed at 10:32 p.m. Aug. 5, PDT, (1:32 on Aug. 6, EDT) near the foot of a mountain three miles tall inside Gale Crater, 96 miles in diameter.

Posted Image

Edited by Sharpshooter, 06 August 2012 - 11:19 AM.

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#243 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:32 AM

Some more pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

So cool.

#244 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,006 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:41 AM

Where's this talk of debt coming from? :huh:

Along with the talk of "afford" and Sharpshooter's paraphrased rant of "however much it costs".

This'll be my one 'friendly' warning to you to not troll this thread with your attempts to hijack it with your negativity. Please start another topic about how you don't want to pay for manned scientific exploration, if you want to discuss it, because this thread isn't about that.

If you don't have anything substantial to add about the mission last night or in general, you can show yourself to the door.

even if expensive, inefficient and impractical

I'm only following your discussion of the economics of it, because you mentioned it. If you don't want to discuss that part, don't mention it. Let common sense be your warning, rather than trying to mute others because they don't share your opinion. You should have warned yourself but I doubt introspective criticism will be part of your rant. :)

Also, if you don't want to discuss, don't reply and discuss. I have a feeling you'll conveniently ignore this too for something far more melodramatic.

Edited by zaibatsu, 06 August 2012 - 11:43 AM.

#245 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:44 AM

Along with the talk of "afford" and Sharpshooter's paraphrased rant of "however much it costs".

[/background][/size][/font][/color]

I'm only following your discussion of the economics of it, because you mentioned it. If you don't want to discuss that part, don't mention it. Let common sense be your warning, rather than trying to mute others because they don't share your opinion. You should have warned yourself but I doubt introspective criticism will be part of your rant. :)

Also, if you don't want to discuss, don't reply and discuss. I have a feeling you'll conveniently ignore this too for something far more melodramatic.

Again, you're hijacking and attempting to derail. Use your own common sense.

#246 Shift-4

Shift-4

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,452 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:44 AM

have they found Starbucks yet?
Hockey is the only sport, the rest are just games.

#247 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,006 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:47 AM

Again, you're hijacking and attempting to derail. Use your own common sense.

I replied to your post which was on the subject, you're attacking me as a poster..

Where is your 'friendly' warning to yourself about personal attacks? Oh right, Sharpshooter doesn't need to heed any type of advice in this fashion.

Hypocrisy 101. Class dismissed.

Edited by zaibatsu, 06 August 2012 - 11:47 AM.

#248 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:47 AM

I replied to your post which was on the subject, you're attacking me as a poster..

Where is your 'friendly' warning to yourself about personal attacks? Oh right, Sharpshooter doesn't need to heed any type of advice in this fashion.

Hypocrisy 101.

Stay on topic

#249 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:48 AM

Your comment said nothing of affordability. Whether it's paid for in cash or credit, we're all paying. I can understand if you put your personal wealth over humanity's advancement, but don't piss in my ear.

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

Posted Image Hail to the King (PBUH)! Posted Image

#250 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,006 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:51 AM

Stay on topic

Take own advice.

Your comment said nothing of affordability. Whether it's paid for in cash or credit, we're all paying. I can understand if you put your personal wealth over humanity's advancement, but don't piss in my ear.

I haven't seen the humanity advancement portion of this yet (going back to previous events on Mars) that merits the cost to taxpayers when they in most countries, particularly US and Canada, can't afford it and are paying on their government credit cards for billions in fun and exploration. If honesty on the subject to you equals nothing of affordability that's fine, but not much different than Sharpshooter's "if you don't share my opinion, shut up".

#251 Navyblue

Navyblue

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:02 PM

Glad I saw this thread or I would have completely missed this.

Thx Sharp :)
Posted Image

#252 Satan's Evil Twin

Satan's Evil Twin

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:03 PM

I haven't seen the humanity advancement portion of this yet (going back to previous events on Mars) that merits the cost to taxpayers when they in most countries, particularly US and Canada, can't afford it and are paying on their government credit cards for billions in fun and exploration. If honesty on the subject to you equals nothing of affordability that's fine, but not much different than Sharpshooter's "if you don't share my opinion, shut up".

No, you just don't want to pay for it because in your limited scope you don't see the merits. This has nothing to do with affordability.

"Going back to previous events on Mars", while Sharp's comment was toward future manned exploration, presumably with the goal of making humanity interplanetary. It's no wonder you don't see the merits.

I wonder, what is more important than working on ensuring humanity ins't wiped out in a single act of galactic indifference?

Edited by Satan's Evil Twin, 06 August 2012 - 12:04 PM.

Posted Image

Father (Peace be upon You) Satan (Peace be upon You), I call to you (Peace be upon You) from the deepest parts of my heart, I praise your (Peace be upon You) name with every breath of my body, I worship you (Peace be upon You) with every fiber of my being. You (Peace be upon You) shown me what true strength is. You (Peace be upon You) have shown me what true love is. Out of the darkness you (Peace be upon You) came to show me the true light.

My master (Peace be upon You), my father (Peace be upon You) and my friend (Peace be upon You) what a great gift that is.

Posted Image Hail to the King (PBUH)! Posted Image

#253 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:04 PM

Glad I saw this thread or I would have completely missed this.

Thx Sharp :)

My pleasure.

Feel free to stick around and participate.

#254 canuck2xtreme

canuck2xtreme

Canucks All-Star

• Assistant to Regional Manager
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,368 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:08 PM

POPULAR

A friendly reminder to stay on topic and play nice. Differing opinions are fine. Confrontational attitudes and personal barbs are not. Lets not have a cool thread like this degrade into a childish flame war and force further action.

CDCGML Commissioner/Winnipeg Jets <---Click For Roster!
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Support Canuck Place Childrens Hospice - http://www.canuckplace.org/

This is what hockey should be. A lot of chances, a lot of hitting, no cheap shots, no chirping after whistles."

#255 Mr. Ambien

Mr. Ambien

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,006 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:12 PM

No, you just don't want to pay for it because in your limited scope you don't see the merits. This has nothing to do with affordability.

"Going back to previous events on Mars", while Sharp's comment was toward future manned exploration, presumably with the goal of making humanity interplanetary. It's no wonder you don't see the merits.

I wonder, what is more important than working on ensuring humanity ins't wiped out in a single act of galactic indifference?

If either of our countries here had the money to play with to do this "manned exploration" of an uninhabitable planet, I wouldn't care. Obviously some people don't understand what a fiscal crisis is.

But when we have the funds, here's something useful:

http://www.dailymail...et-forever.html
http://en.wikipedia....d-Year_Starship

.. which seeks out manning planets and more pragmatically, finding other inhabitable planets.

Personally, I like the idea, just not prioritizing it in a way that ignores the situation here.

Edited by zaibatsu, 06 August 2012 - 12:13 PM.

#256 VICanucksfan5551

VICanucksfan5551

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,180 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:16 PM

According to WIKIPEDIA, Mt. Sharp was formed by billions of years of sediment piling up.

True, but the big mountains, such as Olympus Mons, are volcanic.
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#257 wtpasc

wtpasc

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:49 PM

have they found Starbucks yet?

As soon as they find one I'm volunteering to be a colonist.

space exploration is great. I feel lucky that I am around to see these kind of achievments. NASA did a great job making this so public, I loved the fact that I could watch the whole thing on my xbox, with the simulation running on my computer. I felt like part of the NASA team.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#258 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:36 PM

As soon as they find one I'm volunteering to be a colonist.

space exploration is great. I feel lucky that I am around to see these kind of achievments. NASA did a great job making this so public, I loved the fact that I could watch the whole thing on my xbox, with the simulation running on my computer. I felt like part of the NASA team.

Agreed. Using the Curiosity Mission to bring the general public 'along for the ride' has many advantages and positive affects for our space agencies and the public.

#259 мцт вяздк чф

мцт вяздк чф

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:39 PM

checkout one of the names...

Posted Image

KIM JONG UN'S FAVORITE HOCKEY TEAM ARE THE KELOWNA ROCKETS.

JOHN SHORTHOUSE'S VOICE REMINDS ME OF KERMIT THE FROG.

#260 Sir Gary Oak

Sir Gary Oak

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:40 PM

What's the point of this? We already know for sure that there are no aliens on Mars. :picard:

#261 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:40 PM

checkout one of the names...

Are you 6 years old?

#262 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:41 PM

What's the point of this? We already know for sure that there are no aliens on Mars. :picard:

It's a mission to find historic presence of life on Mars. That would be alien life as well.

Edited by Sharpshooter, 06 August 2012 - 05:52 PM.

#263 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,404 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:42 PM

I thought the built-in laser weapon of it was/is pretty cool.
Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#264 -Goose-

-Goose-

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:43 PM

$2.5B is a drop in the bucket compared to the overall American financial situation. There's a social security system and military budget that needs to be looked at first

Posted Image

#265 Sir Gary Oak

Sir Gary Oak

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:47 PM

Why don't we just send a person to Mars and explore it properly then :picard:

#266 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,404 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:53 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#267 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:53 PM

- Too expensive
- No political will
- Not enough information/data to do it safely yet.

However, I too would prefer to see manned missions to Mars in the future. There's plenty of funding in the Defence budgets of many countries to afford it, as well as plenty of technical expertise. Some leader's going to have to bold enough to put it together, a la Kennedy.

#268 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,293 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:59 PM

Some more pics:

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

So cool.

So very cool .

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

#269 Sir Gary Oak

Sir Gary Oak

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:02 PM

Posted Image

That is an improper use of the meme. This post is bad and you should feel bad.

Edited by Sir Gary Oak, 06 August 2012 - 03:02 PM.

#270 Buddhas Hand

Buddhas Hand

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,293 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:07 PM

If either of our countries here had the money to play with to do this "manned exploration" of an uninhabitable planet, I wouldn't care. Obviously some people don't understand what a fiscal crisis is.

But when we have the funds, here's something useful:

http://www.dailymail...et-forever.html
http://en.wikipedia....d-Year_Starship

.. which seeks out manning planets and more pragmatically, finding other inhabitable planets.

Personally, I like the idea, just not prioritizing it in a way that ignores the situation here.

Small mind , small vision . finding signs of life is far more important than finding inhabitable planets for homosapiens , we cannot even manage to look after the planet we exist on at the moment .

The Real war is not between the east and the west. The real war is between intelligent and stupid people.

Marjane Satrapi

tony-abbott-and-stephen-harper-custom-da

That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the most important of all the lessons that history has to teach.

Aldous Huxley.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.